The flaws

The flaws

Postby Chessrook44 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Now I just want to say, I really enjoyed Obduction. It is indeed a good game. But there are a few flaws that I would like to admit to, and I'm curious if you guys would share that opinion, or have any flaws you'd like to note.

Probably the biggest flaw in my eyes is C.W. himself. He is right there, talking to you, and knows everything about the place. Why does he have to be so vague about how to do anything? Sure I admit, he has his own things to do, and if he held your hand there would be less of a game, but surely he could tell you SOMETHING such as where everyone went. Not to mention there's plenty of critical information that you could give him. Are we to assume that the player character is completely mute again, like in the Myst games?

Second, while I personally didn't hate it, I know many others have expressed annoyance at "The Gauntlet". Most specifically "The Puzzle". Anyone who's played the game knows which one it is, and I won't elaborate further beyond the drudgery for it.

Third, I can't go into it much but.... let's just say "Purple, smoky, and short". I think that's the most I can say without getting spoilery. Probably more affected by budget and time than anything else, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Were there any other flaws that anyone noticed that they felt detracted from making this game perfect?
Chessrook44

Re: The flaws

Postby Charura » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:27 pm

The only flaws I have noticed are your comments....Sorry, my opinion only.
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby Tahgtahv » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:37 pm

If you have played the game, you'll realize that C.W isn't the most sociable character. I think the amount of things he tells you are in keeping with that. As for where everyone has gone, he presumes them dead. Also, while the player not being able to offer any feedback is pretty typical of Cyan games, I feel in this case that the vault door could be soundproof, and he just has a one way speaker on the outside.

Regarding the Gauntlet: again, this is explained in game. It's *supposed* to be difficult to get through, that's the whole point of it being built in the first place.

Now, if you want to talk about flaws, you could mention the control issues, or the long loading times, or being able to get the game in an unsolvable state, or the myraid of technical issues, and so on, but I really don't consider anything you've mentioned to be a flaw.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:01 pm

The game definetly has a few issues. I don't know if they're flaws as such, but they are things that I had issues with.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
For me, the fact that I never really get to see anyone, not even at the end, is kind of a bummer. Even and the end of Myst you got to actually meet Atrus. And the Riven had the awesome characters that you got to interact with. It's understandable given the story, but I was a bit disappointed that we didn't really get a new Ghen, or Catherine, or Saavedro. And with the exception of the one Villein (and I don't think that really counts), we don't see any of the alien races.

Also there's supposed to be this war going on, but don't really see that much evidence of it. There's only really two that I remember, both towards the end.

And as for Soria, not even one little puzzle. The other worlds were true enigmas, worlds that stacked up against the best the Myst series has to offer IMO. But Soria didn't even have a token combination lock on the tree. I guess the puzzle was in learning how to get there, but that wasn't too hard. A little convoluted maybe, but not hard once you knew what to look for.

I guess I came away just wanting more. Of course, I've felt the way about most Cyan games. It's part of their charm and why I love them so much. The game's not perfect by any means, but I loved every minute of it. Certainly worthy of the praise it's getting.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby KenS1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 am

One flaw is ,unless I missed it is that when you copy a game you can not rename it. If you want to take multiple tries to do something you have to write down the time so you know which one is the one you want to try again
KenS1
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:27 am

Yeah, that irritated me too, but I suspect it is part of what the engine provides natively and perhaps with a view to console type UIs.

(Hey Ken! Long time, no see! :) )
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby belford » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 am

I wrote a brief not-really-a-review post (http://gameshelf.jmac.org/2016/09/my-ob ... nonreview/), which includes a paragraph on stuff I thought was clumsily done.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Annabelle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:14 pm

I will go with Ken's idea for a real flaw of the game.

Yesterday, I told you guys I would go back in Obduction to see if I could retrieve Caroline on my own with my new understanding of Villein's Numeral. Retrieving Caroline wasn't remotely the hardest task... it took me several trials and errors to find which of my silly saved "Première Partie" was the good one amongst the 6 or 7 I have. They should maybe try to fix this, like in Myst 4 Revelation. Over there, I can put a small description: "Start of Spire" or "Selenia after spirit", something that put me on the good track right away.
Annabelle 47907 - New avatar
Annabelle

Postby KenS1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Big FLAW

Your graphics settings do not get saved with saved game. You have to remember what the settings were with each saved game.
I'm really aware of this because my computer just about plays the game. So if I want to see good graphics to walk around in I have to set the graphics to a higher setting like medium, then reset to go back to just playing in low mode. I think the graphics settings should be saved as you leave game and be able to come back t said game without having to reset the graphics.

Ken
KenS1
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm not sure I see that as a flaw, or how having different settings saved alongside each game save would really be a help. I guess most people will find their optimum settings and want to keep those across all their games. Maybe there'd be some use if it were easier to differentiate between saved games.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Marten » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:51 pm

On the supposed flaw of the Gauntlet being "Drudgery"...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Please recall the maze in Myst. There were two ways to solve it.

The first way was to carefully observe, and to figure out the solution through that observation. As Ti'ana would have said, "What do you see?". (Or more accurately for that puzzle, "What do you hear?")

Similarly, the Gauntlet puzzles may seem very daunting at first... but if you carefully observe before charging in and starting to scramble things up, you'll find that there are relatively elegant solutions with only a few actions on your part required. All you have to do is study the nature of the puzzle, and think on it a little bit.

There is no wrong way to solve the puzzle - you are free to approach it as you see fit. But if you find it to be drudgery, that's not a flaw of the puzzle... that's simply a consequence of the approach you've taken.
MOULa KI: 26838 | Prologue Videos | Visit rel.to to explore Myst, Uru, and D'ni communities!
Click here for social/game profiles
Marten
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Really, the only flaw I can think of is the long loading times, only made worse by
[Reveal] Spoiler:
some puzzles requiring you to travel back and forth between worlds many times.
BeigeAlert

Postby AdamJohnso » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:30 pm

The big issue I have with CW is the acting -- it's terrible. But, that's any time people from the not-South US try to impersonate Southerners. They just can't do it.
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:14 am

I agree, Adam, I didn't like the acting either. But Robyn was born in Texas, doesn't that make him at least a bit of a Southerner? :lol:
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby AdamJohnso » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Texas is a nation all by itself ;)
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)