How has Obduction done, financially?

How has Obduction done, financially?

Postby BeigeAlert » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Totally understand if they don't want to say... I just really want to know that Obduction has been a success so we can look forward to Obduction 2... Or whatever comes next. :)
BeigeAlert

Re: How has Obduction done, financially?

Postby Michael2117 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 am

Curious about that myself. Now that they are back after a 10 year hiatus, would love to them continue on with more games. Really good adventure games are a rarity these days. I mean real adventure games and not some of the games they try to include as an adventure game these days.
Corsair 600T - Sabertooth p67 - i7 2600k - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB - GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 - 256gb Samsung 850 pro SSD - WD 1tb - Corsair H70 Push/Pull
Michael2117
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 am

We were speculating (based on indirect evidence) in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1310
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:21 am

Ah I see. That's a bit disappointing that they've sold so few. :(
BeigeAlert

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:46 am

We can speculate all we want, but we have zero hard data. At best, we have a shaky estimate on Steam sales (currently around 37K plus or minus 4k). That's it. We don't even know it that includes the backer games or not.
Plus, I've been thinking that a game like this might appeal more to the GOG audience than the Steam one, given the nature of the game, and we don't have any data there at all.
Also, without knowing what kind of sales Cyan was hoping for, we have no way a gauging how successful the game has been.

And remember we haven't hit the first sale yet, where sales should spike if Cyan participates.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:11 pm

We don't even know it that includes the backer games or not.

It includes everyone who has the game on their Steam profile page, whether they bought it on Steam or redeemed a key to get it.

(I have a bit of personal experience with this: I have run a Kickstarter for a game and then released it on Steam. I was running at a much smaller scale, of course.)

SteamSpy is a valuable source of estimates. You should neither mistake it for hard truth nor discount it entirely.
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:25 pm

Yeah, but how many backers redeemed their copy on Steam? I didn't. How many other people did the same. There were 2 other options. So no, we don't know how many of that number are backer copies.
And then how does the unreleased Mac version factor into that.
Far too many unknowns for me to make any kind of reasonable speculation.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah, but how many backers redeemed their copy on Steam?

That we don't know. We can guess percentages, but as I said in the other post, the error bars are large.
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Tai'lahr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Michael2117 wrote:Curious about that myself. Now that they are back after a 10 year hiatus...

Obduction may be their first big game in awhile, but they haven't been on hiatus all this time. In the last ten years, they created Bugchucker, re-released older titles on newer platforms, produced MagiQuest Online and brought back MOUL for us.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby Michael2117 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 am

My mistake in using hiatus, knew they were around.
Corsair 600T - Sabertooth p67 - i7 2600k - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB - GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 - 256gb Samsung 850 pro SSD - WD 1tb - Corsair H70 Push/Pull
Michael2117
Obduction Backer

Postby AdamJohnso » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:21 pm

Tai'lahr wrote:
Michael2117 wrote:Curious about that myself. Now that they are back after a 10 year hiatus...

Obduction may be their first big game in awhile, but they haven't been on hiatus all this time. In the last ten years, they created Bugchucker, re-released older titles on newer platforms, produced MagiQuest Online and brought back MOUL for us.

So, essentially, they were on hiatus ;)
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:50 am

New interview with Rand: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -publisher

"But...I think the press and the reviews don't translate directly necessarily into sales, and because we're just a little indie shop who doesn't have any marketing - well frankly we didn't keep any of the money for marketing stuff - now we have to figure out what the next stage is. I feel with Obduction, like our other games, it might have some legs, it might be able to last a little longer than a trendy FPS but it's...we've got to figure out how to let people know about it. I just feel like there's not a lot of people that know about it necessarily. So that's the next step. By the way, I'm sure it's not unique to us, you can make an incredible product and [flop] unless people know about it. For an indie it's the problem we have with this wonderful equaliser of selling directly to the public. There's no publisher but...there's no publisher."
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby pat_trick » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:53 pm

The game is also 10% off on GOG currently.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:08 am

Don't forget: Cyan's been working on Lattice for a long time. Obduction may have just been a stepping stone, the way RealMyst was their stepping stone towards Uru.
Twitch

Postby belford » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:15 am

In the long term, maybe. But they've been very clear that for the past couple of years, development time has been focused 110% on making Obduction happen. (A task which is not yet complete.)
belford
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)