How do we get the word out?

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Baladria » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:48 pm

^^ Oh along this route... Halloween is coming up. :mrgreen:
MOULa KI: 00212408 (feel free to add me)
Read my ramblings: http://baladriaonmyst.blogspot.com/
Baladria
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:49 am
Location: The Bronx, New York

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Anna Catherine » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:50 pm

I know Cyan probably doesn't have the resources to produce and sell merchandise right now, but I think it would be cool if they would offer a t-shirt logo that fans could print out as an iron-on to make our own "official" Obduction shirts. It doesn't seem like that would take a whole lot in the way of resources (they could charge a few bucks to download it to offset the cost) and it would give them a bit of extra visibility. I'm sure I can't be the only fan who would wear an Obduction t-shirt but for whatever reason couldn't get one during the first round.
Image
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Narayan

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I second Anna Catherine's idea

The Logo would allow me to have a shirt or Hoodie that I would actually be able to wear.
The reward shirt I received was only a 2x in size - I wear a large 3x or a small 4x

Needless to say my reward shirt is NOT wearable...
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Floydman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Robin wrote:I might also suggest that any "official" or home-made Obduction Tee-shirts going forward could include a larger (Longer wearing) version of the 2D bar-code. . . . Actually, I'm a little surprised that this doesn't seem to have been picked up by main-stream Marketing yet.


"Mainstream marketing" tried this with QR codes, but nobody wants to be bothered to bring up a QR code-reading app on their phones. It's much easier to just type in a URL.
Floydman
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Here.

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Robin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Floydman wrote:
Robin wrote:I might also suggest that any "official" or home-made Obduction Tee-shirts going forward could include a larger (Longer wearing) version of the 2D bar-code. . . . Actually, I'm a little surprised that this doesn't seem to have been picked up by main-stream Marketing yet.


"Mainstream marketing" tried this with QR codes, but nobody wants to be bothered to bring up a QR code-reading app on their phones. It's much easier to just type in a URL.

I beg to differ. The QR codes are becoming ubiquitous. The first I really noticed how much so was a couple years ago when shopping for a car. Several of the local dealers had the codes on the vehicles, and you'd walk around the lots, scan a code with your phone or tablet, and immediately had the information on the particular vehicle.

This last year I've been seeing this more and more in various stores, where customers were getting the data on products from the Internet with codes specific to the product, not necessarily from the store or chain. Some of this was being done because the store price-matched certain other on-line suppliers such as Amazon. I also used this myself at the Penguicon convention this year, going to the website associated with something demonstrated during one presentation. Many magazine articles include them, and especially advertisers in my technical and manufacturing trade magazines. They've been doing this for several years.

Depending on the reader APP, it may automatically call up the browser and website, or you may have to tell it to open the page, but it was FAR simpler than calling up a browser and typing in a URL. Pull out the phone (If it isn't already out...), and one or two touches later, you have the link open.
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg


Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Robin
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:19 pm
Location: Clarkston, Michigan, USA

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Floydman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Robin wrote:
Floydman wrote:
Robin wrote:I might also suggest that any "official" or home-made Obduction Tee-shirts going forward could include a larger (Longer wearing) version of the 2D bar-code. . . . Actually, I'm a little surprised that this doesn't seem to have been picked up by main-stream Marketing yet.


"Mainstream marketing" tried this with QR codes, but nobody wants to be bothered to bring up a QR code-reading app on their phones. It's much easier to just type in a URL.

I beg to differ. The QR codes are becoming ubiquitous. The first I really noticed how much so was a couple years ago when shopping for a car. Several of the local dealers had the codes on the vehicles, and you'd walk around the lots, scan a code with your phone or tablet, and immediately had the information on the particular vehicle.

This last year I've been seeing this more and more in various stores, where customers were getting the data on products from the Internet with codes specific to the product, not necessarily from the store or chain. Some of this was being done because the store price-matched certain other on-line suppliers such as Amazon. I also used this myself at the Penguicon convention this year, going to the website associated with something demonstrated during one presentation. Many magazine articles include them, and especially advertisers in my technical and manufacturing trade magazines. They've been doing this for several years.

Depending on the reader APP, it may automatically call up the browser and website, or you may have to tell it to open the page, but it was FAR simpler than calling up a browser and typing in a URL. Pull out the phone (If it isn't already out...), and one or two touches later, you have the link open.


Wow, we have had very different experiences. :lol: I apologize, though, for being so negative. By all means, add bar codes to all your swag. But I won't be pulling out my phone unless I'm comparison shopping at Walmart.
Floydman
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Here.

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Mac_Fife » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:40 am

I've had the experience, when doing a public presentation, of being asked why I didn't put up a QR code for people to capture as it was "too much trouble" to type in the domain name of my website (which was only five letters plus ".org").
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:05 am
Location: 56°2'26", -3°20'28"

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby belford » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:15 am

My experience is that QR codes never took off, are already vanishing, and were only ever pushed by marketing departments.

So, yes, there is some cultural clash here. :)
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:01 am

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Robin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:37 pm

belford wrote:My experience is that QR codes never took off, are already vanishing, and were only ever pushed by marketing departments.

So, yes, there is some cultural clash here. :)

The problem may be in the Marketing departments. You have to be able to use any tool effectively, and most of the marketing people I've met weren't exactly "tech savvy." That's one reason why there are so many poorly conceived and executed company websites out there. No one bothered to think about how visitors were going to arrive there, from whatever source, and what they needed to do to get the specific information they were after. This has been particularly maddening when I've tried to pay certain utility bills online! :(

The QR codes not only offer the chance to get to a company website, but to the specific and appropriate page given the source of the code. Sure, I did a test generating a code to link quickly to an Obduction trailer, and it works nicely, but is this the best target page? Is the main Obduction page suitable given that people would most likely be using a phone APP? NO! At least it doesn't work well on my tablet.

So, if someone can suggest a better web page as a starting point, or create one, this would be the way to go if a QR code is used. That, or just link to one of the trailers.
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg


Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Robin
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:19 pm
Location: Clarkston, Michigan, USA

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Magic88889 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Maybe link it to the Steam of Gog page? There they can watch the trailer, read about it, and read some (hopefully) positive reviews.

Don't know how well that works on mobile though.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Tai'lahr » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:07 am

Anna Catherine wrote:I know Cyan probably doesn't have the resources to produce and sell merchandise right now, but I think it would be cool if they would offer a t-shirt logo that fans could print out as an iron-on to make our own "official" Obduction shirts. It doesn't seem like that would take a whole lot in the way of resources (they could charge a few bucks to download it to offset the cost) and it would give them a bit of extra visibility. I'm sure I can't be the only fan who would wear an Obduction t-shirt but for whatever reason couldn't get one during the first round.

This is a great idea. It would be helpful if a talented fan created some possibilities and sent them to Cyan. Or, if Cyan would give permission for a fan to create a download anyone can use.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 am
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby Marten » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:23 pm

The Obduction website was originally built to adjust for mobile devices (at low resolutions, the navigation controls change to a dropdown page selector).

Unfortunately, it's clear that whoever built the current main and BUY NOW! pages did not test those on mobile. That's unfortunate, because the other pages seem to apply progressive reduction (or whatever the current phrase is) quite nicely.

I suggest reaching out to someone at Cyan to remind them that their site needs to work on mobile. This is a mandate!
MOULa KI: 26838 | Prologue Videos | Visit rel.to to explore Myst, Uru, and D'ni communities!
Click here for social/game profiles
Marten
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: Tigard, OR

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby matthornb » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:47 am

Mobile device support is a no-brainer given the ubiquity of phones. Cyan needs to make this a priority.

As for my statements earlier, we have to hit a balance between acknowledging the flaws of Cyan's games, and pointing out that they still have merit despite these flaws.

Because Cyan's games, while imperfect, do have a whole lot going for them.

I myself have a plan for a personal [small, dirt cheap, but highly efficient] promotional campaign for Obduction planned out in the next 72 hours which should make some slight difference.

Between that, other fans' efforts, and the VR-support update, maybe things will soon improve.
Matthew L. Hornbostel, creator of Panoramic Worlds,
a Myst fansite, and
various other stuff.
matthornb
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: How do we get the word out?

Postby korovev » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:46 am

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am
Location: Central Europe

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron