Obduction Wiki

Obduction Wiki

Postby Ahlisendar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:17 am

I figured that over the course of the next few years, we'll be getting a lot of information/hints/pictures about Obduction, and we don't really have a centralized place to store that yet. Plus, I thought it might be a good idea to store findings about the various ARGs and have such a place for if (when) it continues.

For those reasons, I created a wiki exclusively for Obduction. It can be found at: http://obduction.zicktous.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's running Mediawiki version 1.21.3 - the same software that runs Wikipedia.
I already have several anti-spam measures in place - you'll be required to answer a simple question after creating an account and making edits. (after seeing what happened to Mystlore, I figured it would be a good idea to get these measures in early).
It's currently hosted on my domain, zicktous.net, but if it starts to get a lot bigger I may purchase a unique domain for it.

Anyway, I'm still relatively new to this whole process, so I thought I'd post this here and see if you guys have any suggestions/feedback. Also, I'm not saying you should or anything, but if you'd like to add pages, that'd be pretty awesome. ;)
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Re: Obduction Wiki

Postby dgelessus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Wiki? Sure! I'm kind of a wiki nerd, so I'll go ahead and see what I can do.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Ainia » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Hey guys,

Will the Obduction ARG wiki page get ported here? It would be kinda nice to have it in the same place with all the other Obduction info...

Also, will this wiki allow for direct uploading of images, and other such stuff? I expect that a lot of the Obduction (official and fan-related) images will disappear from their current internet locations over time, so it would be nice to preserve them with the text.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:42 am

Ainia wrote:Will the Obduction ARG wiki page get ported here? It would be kinda nice to have it in the same place with all the other Obduction info...

That would be a good idea, already thought about that. However I don't know if the original authors of that page would be fine with that, so I didn't do it yet.

Ainia wrote:Also, will this wiki allow for direct uploading of images, and other such stuff? I expect that a lot of the Obduction (official and fan-related) images will disappear from their current internet locations over time, so it would be nice to preserve them with the text.

Images can be uploaded, text (or website source, if necessary) can simply be put on a page. The Wayback Machine also offers a "crawl me now" feature, that will be useful.
Last edited by dgelessus on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby MoP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:05 am

As I mentioned in the ARG discussion thread, not sure how to combine the public-wiki format with the backer-only updates and info we'll be getting over the development period. I'm sure there will be 'open' content released as well, but that will most likely be a minority. I don't think we should be reposting the backer-only stuff to the public (some people might not care about that, but it still is a part of the Kickstarter-deal, "exclusivity" of those materials up to the games release).

Would it be possible to have "public" and "restricted" areas on the wiki, and somehow migrate the Backer Forums accounts? If the account-creation is left open for the whole thing, would need manual verification of backer credentials or something like that which seems way too much of a hassle I suppose.
Known in the Cavern as Seba
KI# 261951
MoP
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 am

It is possible to create user groups on wikis and give them exclusive access to certain pages. However, any new pages created would be public at first and then have to manually be hidden, which would be quite annoying (especially for Ahlisendar, who would have to do that all the time ;)).
Another possibility would be to host a second wiki that is backers-only, but then there would be a lot of duplicated content and the wikis would have to be merged once the game is released... and you would have to let an admin create the accounts and send the passwords via email or forum PM to avoid impersonation... long story short, there is no good solution for that problem.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Ahlisendar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:47 am

I have to agree, it is kind of a difficult problem to fix. I would be willing to create a user group for backers, but that would be quite labour-intensive and would require a system wherein someone wanting to join the group would have to provide proof of their membership on the backer forums.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby MoP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Well there seems to be a few of extensions linking MediaWiki to phpBB's user accounts for authentication; not sure how usable they are, but there should be more out there I suppose:
MediaWiki_PHPBB_Auth
authmediawiki
phpBB Single Sign-On
This would obviously require Cyan incorporating it also into their forum software, so not sure if that's even an option.

If not, I guess it's up to the contributors to be mindful of not leaking any "exclusives" ;)
Known in the Cavern as Seba
KI# 261951
MoP
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)