Xbox Port?

Xbox Port?

Postby Calam » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 pm

I know Cyan has said they want to get their game on as many platforms as possible, but is there any word on when this will come to Xbox?

I backed Obduction knowing I couldn't play it on PC (which is fine, I wanted them to make the game) but I still don't have a computer good enough to run it and I'd like to not have to buy a PS4 just to play this game.

I'm perfectly fine waiting, I'd just love to know if it's going to happen this year?
I miss my old signature.
Calam

Re: Xbox Port?

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 pm

I don't mean to be the one to burst your bubble, but while they've said they're open to making it for other devices, there a whole lot of if's in that.

One is if they have the resources to do that, and think they can get a reasonable return for their money and effort. No guarantee on either of those. Cyan might decide it's better if they put people to work on their next game.
Second is if it's even technically possible. While the engine itself might support Switch and Xbox, there's no guarantee that any of the custom third-party add-ons will. Not to mention any stuff that Cyan made themselves.
Third is that there is a exclusivity deal with Sony right now. We have no idea when that will expire. Or even if it will. Usually they do, but I have no inside information on Cyan's contract with Sony, and Cyan is unlikely to say anything.

There are a whole host of other issues as well but I think that covers the basics.

Cyan has not announced any plans at all that they are actually going to do this. Asking them about it at this point is kinda like asking Joss Whedon if he'll ever do a sequel to Dr. Horrible. Sure, he always says things can happen, but they never seem to. There's always schedule conflicts, funding, blah, blah, blah...

I guess the tl;dr is: maybe? With no information we can only speculate on Cyan's intentions.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Re: Xbox Port?

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 am

I think someone has funded Cyan to make the PS4 version. For other platforms, they would probably need to make a Kickstarter. I don't know whether they would be much support for that.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)