System Requirements Guesses for Obduction

System Requirements Guesses for Obduction

Postby wstrohm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Looks like I will need a new computer to play "Obduction" in 2015. Based on the demos I've seen of the Unreal 4 engine, it is going to "want" system specs that are quite high. I'll wait until 2015 to buy a new one, but can anyone make a guess at the kind of graphics performance that will be needed to "keep up" with that engine? :shock:
---- Bill (sometimes "Wanobi," sometimes "Olallie" in MOUL)
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Re: System Requirements Guesses for Obduction

Postby aloys » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:39 am

As you mention it's hard to say until the game is actually out obviously, but IMHO there are two things to keep in mind:
1- Just because it's using an engine that is recent, doesn't mean it'll require a brand new computer. Unreal Engine 4 is a DirectX11 engine, so it'll require a graphics card that support it. Any card that is less than 3 years old will be fine here. And many 4 years old cards will be fine too. But what will really nail down the system requirements will be what Cyan feed to that engine; bringing us to the 2nd point:
2- Cyan will want to have Obduction run on as many computers as possible. Or to be more precise they'll want to strike a good balance between 'a great looking game' and 'a game that can run on as many computers as possible'.

Sooo.. as always a recent computer with good hardware should do better. Computers that were bought to run Uru (nearly 10 years ago) will definitely not cut it.
The good news is: computers are cheaper than ever these days. :)
aloys
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 am

aloys wrote:The good news is: computers are cheaper than ever these days. :)

Which why it is wise to wait till 2015 when the same $$$ now will buy you a 2x (or more) faster computer by then.

Definitely the best thing about PCs/Macs (vs consoles that become under powered and obsolete very quickly)

Also as far as graphics power I would look at whatever NVIDIA/AMD graphics chips Macs come with for the last couple of years since Obduction will be supported on Macs.

If you save up and splash out on a beefy graphics card you will be able to try the Occulus VR support too.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby aloys » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm

ljbade wrote:Which why it is wise to wait till 2015 when the same $$$ now will buy you a 2x (or more) faster computer by then.

Definitely the best thing about PCs/Macs (vs consoles that become under powered and obsolete very quickly).

True; but that also begs an intereting question: Obduction on consoles?
It probably won't happen, at least not initially, but still I find that an interesting idea. Cyan's games are actually really well suited for consoles:
  • Gamepads are perfect for the simple control schemes,
  • Developing for a console allow the developpers to fine tune graphics and ensure a consistent experience for everyone.
  • Sure consoles age rapidly compared to PCs; but the new Xbox One and the PS4 are powerfull beasts, and would probably run Obduction fine.
  • And of course playing on a large screen TV is great.
I remember a while ago hooking up my computer to my TV to play Uru & Riven on a big screen, that was really neat.

ljbade wrote:If you save up and splash out on a beefy graphics card you will be able to try the Occulus VR support too.

haaa VR Obduction... Dang, my mouth is all foamy again.
aloys
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Since they are using the Unreal engine it should be easy to make at least a basic port. But I guess it depends on whether they have people experienced with console development and the money (console games can be expensive due to all the testing/verification etc).

If they do make a console port I imagine it would be released after the Mac/PC version if those sell well.

I also see them doing a iOS (Android?) port to since I think the latest phones would be fast enough to run a lite version of Unreal 4.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:09 pm

The latest Cyan game we have is 'RealMyst Masterpiece Edition'. I've heard Unreal manages resources better then Unitiy(which RealMyst ME uses) and with that in mind one might be able to very roughly gage how well Obduction would run. If you played an Unreal 3 game(Mass Effect 3?), that could also be a good 'gage'.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Agesage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:16 am

I don't know how comparable Unreal Engine 3 and UE4 are in terms of efficiency. But look at the recommended specs for similar looking adventure games in UE3:

- Ether One: 2.6Ghz Dual-core with 8GB. 1GB GTX 560 videocard.
- Mind: Path to Thalamus: 3.4Ghz Quad-core with 4GB. 2GB GTX660 videocard.
- A Story About My Uncle: Quad-core with 4GB. 1GB Videocard.
- Eleusis: Quad-core with 4GB. GTX 280 Videocard (~1GB GTX 460).

Nothing extreme. And these are the recommendedspecs. Minimumspecs are even lower, so if you don't mind turning down some settings you'll probably be fine with any decent DX11 videocard bought in the last 3 years.
Agesage

Postby wstrohm » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:39 am

So far, I have built a "Hackintosh" Mini-ITX computer with the following hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (quad-core, 3.5 Ghz with 3.89 GHz "turbo" mode) with integrated HD4600 graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16 GB DDR3, 1600 MHz
Storage: Two Samsung 250 GB 840 EVO SSD(s)
Provision for one PCIe card, but not using, since power supply is only 180 watts

Software: running Mac OS X 10.9.5 "Mavericks"

This system plays URU: Complete Chronicles perfectly using "Crossover" software from Codeweavers. Also has played MystOnline: URU Live without any problems.

Geekbench 3.2 scores: 3973 single-core, 15723 multi-core (which is very good compared to other quad-core Macs)
Heaven benchmark: 12.3 fps at "Medium" quality on a 1280 x 1024 display (which is abominable IMHO)

May have to upgrade to Intel's 6th-generation "Skylake" CPU in 2015 to play Obduction... hoping not, though.
---- Bill (sometimes "Wanobi," sometimes "Olallie" in MOUL)
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Graizur » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:05 pm

aloys wrote:Obduction on consoles?
It probably won't happen, at least not initially, but still I find that an interesting idea. Cyan's games are actually really well suited for consoles:
  • Gamepads are perfect for the simple control schemes,
  • Developing for a console allow the developpers to fine tune graphics and ensure a consistent experience for everyone.
  • Sure consoles age rapidly compared to PCs; but the new Xbox One and the PS4 are powerfull beasts, and would probably run Obduction fine.
  • And of course playing on a large screen TV is great.
I remember a while ago hooking up my computer to my TV to play Uru & Riven on a big screen, that was really neat.

Fingers crossed.
Graizur
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)