So what will it take to make Obduction great?

So what will it take to make Obduction great?

Postby Mowog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:24 am

Hi, all.

We know the story of Myst, and how it revolutionized gaming because it was like nothing else out there, and did what it did very well.

Now Obduction's in work... I'm thrilled, and am itching to see it, even though it will doubtlessly mean upgrading my PC. One of the wonderful things about Obduction is that it's coming from Cyan. No argument there, as we're all well aware of what they can do. What I'm wondering is, will it be as definitive as Myst was in its day? Essentially, what will it take to make Obduction blow away anything else in its genre and take the critics by storm? Or is that sort of thing still possible?

I thought it might be kind of fun to poll you fans and see what you all think... will it take fabulous visuals? New concepts in game play? What would you like to see, and how would your ideas help separate Obduction from its competition?

Cheers,

Mowog
MOUL KI: 174162

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Re: So what will it take to make Obduction great?

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:42 am

I want to see new worlds, alien landscapes things I have never seen before. I would also like to see the incredible amount of detail that went into their other games. The example that comes to mind is Gehn's pipe. It's in has lab at the beging of Riven. After a certurn event he comes and grabs it. They added an extra frame and programming to the game, just for this. My last request is a big one, I'm very disappointed that RealMyst:Masterpiece will need a patch this early on, I think with a bit more testing they could have fixed the issues where seeing, hopufally Cyan will learn from this for Obduction.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Vector Cramp » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:The example that comes to mind is Gehn's pipe. It's in has lab at the beging of Riven. After a certurn event he comes and grabs it.

Indeed, it wasn't such the people in Riven, but things like that that made Riven feel more alive for me.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby Mowog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Jamie -

Right, the detail in Riven was amazing, and contributed mightily to the sense of immersion. It was just plain believable.

But Riven was produced by a sizable team, over the course of several years, with a generous budget. Do you think Cyan can make the same kind of impact in just over a year with a smaller team and less money?

Mowog

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:44 am

Mowog wrote:Jamie -

Right, the detail in Riven was amazing, and contributed mightily to the sense of immersion. It was just plain believable.

But Riven was produced by a sizable team, over the course of several years, with a generous budget. Do you think Cyan can make the same kind of impact in just over a year with a smaller team and less money?

Mowog

I think modern technology would make it easier to do stuff with a small team then back then when everything had to be prerendered.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 am

I agree with ljbade.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby MoP » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:24 am

After the first couple of bigger-budget Kickstarted adventures came out recently, I'm left a little disappointed with the relatively low difficulty and overall streamlined gameplay some of them went for (at least in the first "acts" or "episodes").

I want Obduction to be a big success for Cyan, so that it literally kickstarts their return to full-fledged game development. But really hope they won't feel compelled to "water down" their vision in order to gain "mass" appeal, that makes simpler and straightforward experiences focused on narrative at the expense of challenging and satisfying puzzles popular lately. To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with those kind of games, I enjoy them myself, just it seems many of them could be so much "more" but settle for "less" (in my eyes a least).

So I'm hoping Cyan will bring a complex and challenging experience to the table, that won't shy away from stumping the player, and rewards careful exploration and attention to detail. Riven is definitely the benchmark (in my book) of blending elaborate puzzles and narrative with the environment, which is one of the ways to avoid the challenges being just frustrating, arbitrary obstacles many people have issues with. Can't wait to see what the creative minds of Rand, RAWA and the rest of the Obduction design team come up with to keep us racking our brains, and encourage deeper exploration of the wondrous worlds painted by Cyans artists.

This is just one of the ingredients that made the "Myst experience" so memorable and compelling to me, but also one I'm finding increasingly lacking lately, so it's what I'm most focused on right now.
Known in the Cavern as Seba
KI# 261951
MoP
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Basically everything Riven did just with a bit of a modern punch.

There are enough watered down, linear, unoriginal games on the market now that I think if Cyan just stuck to their original way of doing things from Myst all the way to Uru it would shock a lot of people because there just isn't anything like Myst or Riven or Uru on the market now.

Yes there are puzzle games coming out in droves again, but not with Cyan's dark, well developed art direction, nor with their trademark "puzzle" environment based gameplay. Robyn Miller recently did an interview where he stated that the best puzzles weren't really puzzles but just part of the environment, like dropping someone in a factory with tons of machinery and letting the player progress by using the environment. The example he gave was that of a lamp with a wire that one must find the lightswitch, but the lightswitch could be blocked, etc. Most puzzle games have very noticeable arbitrary puzzles which seem more "gamey" than in Myst.

Cyan is also known for their amazing lore and narrative that defies gaming cliches and approaches something closer to greek epics and tragedies than traditional fantasy fare. Also Cyan is known for being very down to earth in their stories, not abusing "magic" but rather focusing on scientifically based realism and when magic is used, it's implied and hinted at in subtle ways (i.e. the Art).

The whole story of a civilization from another dimension that lived under Earth's surface for ten thousand years in an exotic city that melded japanese, byzantine and victorian aesthetics, coupled with strange futuristic technology and the ability to link to an infinite amount of exotic worlds with varying laws of physics and ecosystems, is just so far above the average gaming fantasy fare that I think Cyan should aim for something as unique with Obduction. Even the whole story arc of Atrus' family tragedy and rebirth is just classic and timeless that I believe its why Myst spoke to people as a story rather than relying on pure mechanics.

I also think that the freedom of exploration... I guess you could call it sandbox gameplay, is quite unique and missing from the market at the moment, which is why its so much in demand. What I love about Riven, more than say Skyrim, is that I can go anywhere but not everywhere.

To explore further I must solve "the environment". Once I had been everywhere in Skyrim I got bored and played other games, because the thrill of having to work to see what's around the next corner is what drives me as a gamer. A completely open map can get boring once you've essentially seen everything. This is what sums up the feeling of adventure and immersion in me - much like when you watch the new Hobbit film or watch the first Star Wars film for the first time -you want to feel as if you're lost and you need to work, much like the protagonists of the films I mentioned, in order to understand your world and conquer it. This is to me why Riven was such a successful game. Not once did a puzzle feel like a chore. They were naturally a part of the world and, because of this, I wouldn't notice I was making progress due to being so wrapped in the experience. This is why the world needs another Cyan game, because there's nothing akin to that experience anymore that's new and fresh. Sure there are similar games, but nothing that combines everything into one great big package, that being:

The deep, original, low fantasy story
    The non linear gameplay
    The original and sumptuous art style
    The evocative music
    The environment-driven gameplay
    The state of the art graphics
    The in depth characters
    The fully immersive element (i.e no UI, first person perspective)
    The in game lore
    The ultimate sense of satisfaction after understanding your environment and progressing all on your own
Rivenian

Postby Mowog » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 am

Rivenian -

Wow! You pretty much summed up what I've been thinking about. Bravo.

If I had to narrow my Obduction wish list down to a single statement, I'd love to see it have the visual impact of Dear Esther and the game experience of Riven.

On a related note, I just ordered all new guts for my PC, so hopefully I'll be ready when that seed pod lands in my back yard... ;-)

Mowog

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Postby HollyBluebird » Sun May 08, 2016 10:57 pm

The puzzles for Obudction? Does anyone have a clue how difficult it will be? I like the difficulties of the puzzle especially in Riven and Myst IV so if it is going to be this difficult then I would like that. I did not like the language part in Myst IV because it was really hard to decode the books in Yeesha room because it look messy. I did read in an interview that they will have all the things you need to solve the puzzle. But I hope its in different places to find it like in Riven and in Myst IV where you just need to search every where and not speed through the game.

I also hope it will take longer then 20 hours to complete the game if your quick to do puzzles. Quern is about 14 hours with extra exploration so perhaps Obduction will be longer too?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a pet in the game? Other game had pets and was successful? Just there for company and to help out if possible?

And what was your memorable moment in the Myst games that you want to see with obduction? Any puzzles or stories that you like to see in Obuduction?

I would like to see mechanics that are really difficult like the one in Myst IV where you got to play around with the floating small ship? Instead of pressing button to find the right one perhaps more complex mechanism so just pressing it won't work but you need to find out the right combination and why?
HollyBluebird

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)