Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Re: Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Man, after getting a little shut-eye, I forgot how badly staying up all night kicks a guy's rear. My head's playing a marathon screening of "Revenge of the All-Nighter."

So I guess we know why RAWA was being cagey about the ARG last night! Poor (lucky?) Ryan. Where-ever did he go? ;)

Had so much fun with y'all last night, just wanted to say thanks for the memories. One of these days, I'll see if I can't organize a door run. Those used to be fun when Susa'n did it. :) Does anyone remember/know what happened to her?
Freelance Writer

Staff Writer for AdventureGamers.com
Owner/Blogmaster of WriteFullCircle.com

Follow my Twitter: @WriteFullCircle

Known in the cavern as Ghal'vhen
KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Hey can someone be nice enough to type up a summary (with links/images?) of the Obduction ARG step-by-step? I unfortunately missed out as I was too busy on Kickstarter, and it will take a while to read all 118 forum pages. (pretty please)
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:46 pm

ljbade wrote:Hey can someone be nice enough to type up a summary (with links/images?) of the Obduction ARG step-by-step? I unfortunately missed out as I was too busy on Kickstarter, and it will take a while to read all 118 forum pages. (pretty please)

Try here, first: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=Obduction_ARG

This is about as close to one as you can get without typing a summary up from scratch. Hopefully someone will help you out there, but in the meantime, this should get you started. ;)
Freelance Writer

KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:19 pm

GalvanicSpiral wrote:Try here, first: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=Obduction_ARG

This is about as close to one as you can get without typing a summary up from scratch. Hopefully someone will help you out there, but in the meantime, this should get you started. ;)

Thanks, I am now up to date, wonder what happens on January 6? I will need to remind myself to check here on that date.
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Seagull » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Okay, so we've been led back to the formula used to calculate the countdown timer on the hiredark.com site. Time to take some angles on that. Since we know we're dealing with milliseconds, let's try to put some of this in perspective. The first number is about 22.84 days. That interval is multiplied 352 times, to give approximately 22 years. Then that number is doubled. I'm inclined to ignore the correction of about 4 seconds, but we see where ignoring pieces has gotten me before... 4 seconds is not enough to be leap second corrections (and no idea why that would come up, but spitballing here)

I haven't been able to find any connections to 22.8 days. Was hoping to run into an earth-equivalent day or something like that. No dice so far. So this post is useless, except to perhaps spur on someone else!
Seagull
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:28 am

Hey does anyone here know Hawk Ster from Facebook?

He just posted this in the Facebook Obduction group:

When I asked him where he found the image he replied:
Hawk Ster wrote:I have been there

and
Hawk Ster wrote:Cyan World
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Seagull » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:32 am

ljbade -
That image was tweeted by Salazar Jack a while back, and facebooked by Cyan. We are fairly certain it's not part of the ARG, but it certainly could be. I think it's fanart.

Seagull
Seagull
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:40 am

Seagull wrote:That image was tweeted by Salazar Jack a while back, and facebooked by Cyan. We are fairly certain it's not part of the ARG, but it certainly could be. I think it's fanart.

Thanks for clearing that up I was searching everywhere trying to figure out where it was from or if it was genuine. I thought perhaps he had discovered something encoded in the Ryan obduction video...

Anyway what happens when we next see/hear from Ryan? Should we ask him what it was like and how he managed to make it back so fast :D
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 am

ljbade wrote:
Seagull wrote:That image was tweeted by Salazar Jack a while back, and facebooked by Cyan. We are fairly certain it's not part of the ARG, but it certainly could be. I think it's fanart.

Thanks for clearing that up I was searching everywhere trying to figure out where it was from or if it was genuine. I thought perhaps he had discovered something encoded in the Ryan obduction video...

Anyway what happens when we next see/hear from Ryan? Should we ask him what it was like and how he managed to make it back so fast :D

My own suspicion is that we will have to track him down (perhaps even rescue him) ourselves. This might even take a year or two!! ;)

I wonder how Rand has explained this situation to greydragon's lovely wife... :?: :!:
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 am

He's been tweeting - so it must be possible from Hunrath! Lucky he took his phone! :lol:
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:33 am

Acorn1 wrote:He's been tweeting - so it must be possible from Hunrath! Lucky he took his phone! :lol:

Is there a list of all the developers and their twitter accounts? id love to follow them as they work on obduction.
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby CompChris » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:05 am

Ainia wrote:I wonder how Rand has explained this situation to greydragon's lovely wife... :?: :!:

Rand: Well... Ryan isn't coming home today...
Ryan's Wife: You're still keeping him?
Rand: Well... not exactly...
RW: Huh?
Rand: Ryan.. isn't... here.. right... now.
RW: This isn't funny Rand. What's going on?
Rand: Ryan was getting ready to head out.
RW: So, he's still there.
Rand: No. He's on his way to Hunrath.
RW: Hun.. what?
Rand: He was Obduc..
RW: RAND!
CompChris
Obduction Backer

Postby GalvanicSpiral » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:20 pm

CompChris wrote:
Ainia wrote:I wonder how Rand has explained this situation to greydragon's lovely wife... :?: :!:

Rand: Well... Ryan isn't coming home today...
Ryan's Wife: You're still keeping him?
Rand: Well... not exactly...
RW: Huh?
Rand: Ryan.. isn't... here.. right... now.
Rand: Ryan was getting ready to head out.
RW: So, he's still there.
Rand: No. He's on his way to Hunrath.
RW: Hun.. what?
Rand: He was Obduc..
RW: RAND!

This gets funnier the more I read it. Well done! :)
Freelance Writer

KI# 00213143
GalvanicSpiral
Obduction Backer

Postby KathAveara » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:38 pm

CompChris wrote:
Rand: Bring me the red pages, and I'll tell you.
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby kf6kjg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:20 pm

1389045600000... 1389045600000...

My first guess when I saw this number in the source code of the Hunrath.com site was that it was a UNIX timestamp. Then I read the posts in this forum, and the summary wiki, and it seems that that is correct - implying that this number, or more likely 1/6/2014 2:00:00 PM GMT-8, the date it represents has some significance.

A few (several) posts back there was some thought being spent on the obfuscated value in the source.php javascript - ideas being analyzed that the math itself had some intrinsic meaning. I'm not sold on that, but I could be very wrong. However, as I typed the word I suddenly realized "obduction" and "obfuscation" sure look similar. Fun.

That said, since this value DID come up again, albeit in an SGML comment on a page that was otherwise identical to a previously seen page, I'm leaning more towards the value or the date having meaning.

As to the date, the only thing Google pulled up worth diddly to me was a calendar even named "2:00 PM BHS Winter Play Tech" by a "Hjalmer Anderson" - smells like a herring to me, but... Since the hiredark.com site is counting down, that seems to imply the date has more importance than the value - just what it is pointing to is pure conjecture: it's WAAY too early for the release date, still too early for beta, maybe a pre-alpha/prototype usability check, maybe the end of the ARG as the Cyantists will have less and less time to maintain this as development accelerates, maybe when rewards of some kind ship. All just (un)educated guesses.

Even though I figured it wouldn't turn anything up, I tried some tests on the number itself. I tried converting to hexadecimal then grouping the result into pairs for ASCII conversion: 1389045600000 (base 10) = 01436991CF00 (base 16) = (nothing sane in ASCII)
I tried a few other crazy tests as well, but all resulted in garbage - or 404s.
Ricky C / Cron Stardust
kf6kjg

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)