South Africa as source of inspiration for Obduction?

South Africa as source of inspiration for Obduction?

Postby Erik » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:24 am

I was reading A Dry White Season by André Brink, which takes place in South Africa, and came across the following passage:

The house was in the older part of the suburb, on an incline, a large double plot with a white picket fence in which there were several gaps.

Now doesn't that sound oddly familiar? :P I haven't read many English novels, so I can't judge if white picket fences are mentioned often in books, but this passage also speaks about gaps in the fence. As we know, the white picket fence from Obduction contains holes. Granted, gaps are not necessarily holes, but still...

It's probably a big coincidence, but it still strikes me!
Erik
Obduction Backer

Re: South Africa as source of inspiration for Obduction?

Postby Tai'lahr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 am

Erik, I think you have already been obducted and from this point forward will continue to see things in real life that remind you of the game. It's similar to being an Uru explorer and thinking of the cavern when you see traffic cones on the road. ;)

White picket fences have been popular in the United States since the colonial era and have come to symbolize the ideal middle-class suburban life, so they're often used in literature and media to convey an image of a particular lifestyle.

But, don't stop looking for those "coincidences." :)
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Re: South Africa as source of inspiration for Obduction?

Postby Rivenian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am

I lived in South Africa for a year 11 years ago and I have to admit its probably the most Riven-like place I've ever been. 90% of my age ideas and my overarching game concept here are practically ripped off from locations in SA.
Rivenian

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)