HUD units

HUD units

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:12 am

This is a question on the HUD (Heads Up Display)

It has been said that Oculus Rift will be supported

But I am curious will this support be extended to Totem ( http://www.trueplayergear.com/ )

This will be a Major concern for some players since Facebook has now bought out Oculus Rift..

The advantageous to Totem is that it has Hardware Acceleration and displays at 1080P and For those that wear glasses Each individual eye piece can be adjusted for myopia and hyperopia...

Specifications

Screen:
1080p OLED
-------------------------------
Field of view: 90 degrees
Connectivity:
HDMI input
USB output (tracker)
Sensors:
2x cameras 1080p
3 axis 1kHz gyro
3 axis 4kHz accel
3 axis magnetometer
Audio: Surround sound over stereo
Emulated controls:
USB mouse
Playstation controller
Xbox controller
Non-game controls: Up, Down, Select/Real World View
Supported engines
Unreal
Unity
Havok
CryEngine
Platforms:
PC
Playstation 3 & 4
Xbox One & 360
------------------------------
Supported media: All 3D formats, SBS preferred
Size: 6.6" x 4.4" x 5.4"
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Re: HUD units

Postby ljbade » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 am

If Cyan make use of Steam's VR interface then it should be as simple as Totem making a Steam driver.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:02 am

Totem's spec (as the OP quoted) states support for Unreal, but doesn't specify if that's UE3, UE4 or both. I'd be tempted to suspect UE3 since UE4 was only officially released about a week ago. Rift is directly supported in UE4 I believe, which probably makes it an easier win, but Cyan did state when announcing the OR support that they reserved to right to pursue other VR solutions too.
CastAR and Avegant Glyph are others that may be in the frame. I hadn't heard of Totem before this thread, which maybe serves to emphasise a point I made elsewhere - the VR headset market is beginning to crowd up with products vying for attention, each with their own unique selling points.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:10 pm

I thought that you just might be interested in knowing that Vrvana | Totem (an Oculus Competitor) has gone live on Kickstarter and For LESS weight and a smaller footprint IMHO it has left Oculus at the Starting Gate. On their Kickstarter page they answer many questions that others have been asking.

Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 am

IMHO it has left Oculus at the Starting Gate.

They're all at the starting gate until somebody ships for retail.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby pat_trick » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:34 pm

Totem is just now starting their Kickstarter, whereas Oculus has working models in developer's hands, and has a huge amount of cash thanks to their recent acquisition.

I think that having more variety is great, and maybe someone will make a device-agnostic driver that will work across any consumer 3D headset. However, Oculus has a very far headstart on any other competitors in this area.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
pat_trick
Obduction Backer

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Vrvana is developing a unique headset called Totem, capable of VR and soon AR. Totem is built for enterprise and consumer markets and will be available in 2016. Distinctive features such as onboard video processing and dual cameras allow for multiplatform use, higher FPS and positional tracking without the need for other devices than the headset itself and a host. The multidisciplinary team is located in Montreal, a hotbed for content creators, game studios, VFX and computer vision.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Faster and smarter: Totem continues to stand apart from simple cell phone designs, and thanks to a recent partnership with SoftKinetic, it now incorporates state of the art hardware that improves Totem's positional tracking and hand gesture recognition capabilities. The state of the art SoftKinetic Time-of-Flight camera, combined with Vrvana’s 1440p OLED displays and new industrial design, pushes the Totem ahead. The new design is much more comfortable, letting you play longer! New alpha test units will be shipping to developers in the next few months, in preparation for next year’s consumer release.
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:51 pm

VR headsets are going to have the same problem that smartphones did when they first started. There's going to be a ton of different options, and it's going to be reduced to one or two heavy hitters. They won't necessarily be the best, but they're going to dominate the market anyway, and anyone with an off-brand headset is going to be left with incompatible gear.
Twitch

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)