PCWorld Obduction Preview

PCWorld Obduction Preview

Postby Malfhok » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:00 am

I just finished reading the PCWorld exclusive look at Obduction that went up today. Maybe some tiny spoilers if you don't want to know everything about the game, but very much worth a look if you don't mind getting excited this far in advance: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690711/ ... -myst.html

Best part?

"I would call this three or four Myst Islands put together. And we have three of these," says Anderson.

And from the full interview transcript:

[Rand says]"We were looking at Myst-size is what we said. It would be similar to Myst. The number of Ages and stuff. But with the design where we're at, we decided we're bigger than Riven now easily."

Rand does go on to say that they'll probably have to cut back on the size to make it doable, but still! This constitutes a very happy Cyan fan! :D :D :D
Cosmic Osmo for iOS is a must!
Malfhok
Obduction Backer

Re: PCWorld Obduction Preview

Postby andys1376 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:21 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
And they're making a numbering system!
andys1376
Obduction Backer

Postby Yali » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:23 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Number and language system
and less linear than Riven! Is that even possible? Riven was pretty non-linear.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 am

Great link, thanks much! Downloaded pics, and the internal link to PC World's other article I found even more interesting.
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby ghaelen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 am

I read this article yesterday - a great read.

Every time a new article is published, I learn something about the history of Cyan's work (and the strength of conviction that kept things going through hard times).
We are the shapers and the caretakers of this metaverse. How we honor ourselves and others largely determines what we bring into being.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299
ghaelen
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:56 am

Every time a new article is published, I learn something about the history of Cyan's work (and the strength of conviction that kept things going through hard times).
Yes, and did you notice that Cyan's game development process is a parallel to Pixar's movie development process? And we all know how that has worked for Pixar! I'm anticipating a great game. :mrgreen:
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby ghaelen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:13 am

wstrohm wrote:
Yes, and did you notice that Cyan's game development process is a parallel to Pixar's movie development process? And we all know how that has worked for Pixar! I'm anticipating a great game. :mrgreen:

I did - someone posted pics on FB, too. How exciting!
We are the shapers and the caretakers of this metaverse. How we honor ourselves and others largely determines what we bring into being.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299
ghaelen
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:00 am

Thank you, Malfhok for those wonderful articles, the preview and the interview ... :P

All about the game and also Cyan Worlds, all at Cyan themselves, this sounds and feels all so magnificent, so encouraging, uplifting and promising and .... I could go on and on ... They are such great and exceptional personalities in every respect, really, after all they've been through ... yeah, that might be just one of the reasons why, but ... Yeah, it is just so lovely, when Rand is saying e.g.: 'We are so lucky. I don't know if we'd be alive if Myst hadn't built this house.' and stuff like this ... :)

However, great and deep insights, into the almost completed (conceptual and story-wise and so much more) game and the interesting development stages of it etc., and it is so wonderful that they can work on all of this completely relaxed, means independently and free of any third party demands and constraints etc. ... Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this awesome, magical, supernatural and thrilling new adventure, created by this extraordinary indie company, this fantastic bunch of excellence and expertise in whatever they're doing in that respect, and not to forget their beautiful humor, openness, generosity and a healthy dose of craziness ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby JWPlatt » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:19 pm

wstrohm wrote:...did you notice that Cyan's game development process is a parallel to Pixar's movie development process?

No, because I don't know Pixar's process. I read the article, but I don't recall any reference to Pixar or any comparison made, so I assume you did that for yourself. Would you mind treating us with links to some comparative analysis of their respective processes, or maybe something Pixar has published that discusses their process? Could be interesting.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby wstrohm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Would you mind treating us with links to some comparative analysis of their respective processes, or maybe something Pixar has published that discusses their process?

http://www.awn.com/animationworld/secret-pixar-storytelling
---- Bill
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)