Obduction on Steam?

Re: Obduction on Steam?

Postby LordVeovis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 am

Cyan PLEASE make a boxed version!
What do you see? I see a city, a people, destroyed along with the hope of millions, because of one man's pride.
LordVeovis

Postby Altairien » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am

LordVeovis wrote:Cyan PLEASE make a boxed version!

See Will Obduction be distributed digitally or will I be able to buy a physical disc?

If Cyan doesn't change their mind and contract to make more boxed copies, I'd suggest checking eBay after backer physical products are shipped. Some boxes may show up there.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Yali » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Boxed games are a thing of the past, unless you're talking about console games. I went into an EB games store recently... zero games for PC. Since Steam and digital distribution have happened due to the dramatic increase in internet speed worldwide, boxed PC games have gone the way of the LP. Its way cheaper and easier to provide a download than make a box and disk which requires a publisher with access to printers and manufacturers. Now all Cyan have to do is just upload it and voila. Instant self-publishing done. No need for that stinking publisher.

Although a boxed version would make for a good collector's item like the modern-day resurgence of Vinyl.
Yali
Obduction Backer

Postby Anna Catherine » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 pm

I totally get the appeal of boxed games. I have really slow rural internet and downloading a game like Obduction is on a scale of multiple days where I can't use my internet connection for anything else, so there would definitely be a convenience factor in just popping the CD out of the box and getting ready to go.

That said, I just don't think it would be worth it for Cyan to incur the extra costs of production involved in mass marketing a boxed product. I don't think that would be a good use of their rather limited resources.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Postby AdamJohnso » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Yali wrote:Boxed games are a thing of the past, unless you're talking about console games. I went into an EB games store recently... zero games for PC. Since Steam and digital distribution have happened due to the dramatic increase in internet speed worldwide, boxed PC games have gone the way of the LP. Its way cheaper and easier to provide a download than make a box and disk which requires a publisher with access to printers and manufacturers. Now all Cyan have to do is just upload it and voila. Instant self-publishing done. No need for that stinking publisher.

Try Wal-Mart, they have a shelf of them ;)
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)