Question and suggestions for Obduction?

Question and suggestions for Obduction?

Postby HollyBluebird » Sun May 08, 2016 10:54 pm

1. The moderators seem quiet and very busy so perhaps they can't reply but has there been any ideas of whether they can be a suggestion sub thread for this game?

2. Did the early access backer had say into what the puzzles where and how the game should turn out? Was there an early access alpha to Obduction in the past? And if there wasn't how come? Was it close production? So backer did not have any say? Thanks!
HollyBluebird

Re: Question and suggestions for Obduction?

Postby Magic88889 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:57 am

I think there were only a few people who got access to an early copy of the game. Those guys who pledged a ton of money. Other than that, the rest of us backers have only gotten what everyone else has seen. There was a short video presentation at the last Mysterium, but only the people there got to see it, as it was cut from the video.

So other than those who backed at a really high level to get that early access, none of the backers have seen the game, or know what is going into is.

Frankly, given the level I backed this game at, I had expected more. At least part of the reason I back projects like this on Kickstarter is go gain a bit of insight into the development process, and Cyan has sadly not delivered on that front at all. There have been a few posts on the production blog, but not much, and nothing recently either. We've also had a video or two, but again, not much.

I mean, I get that they're a small team, and that they'd rather focus on the game, but as a long time fan I had hoped for more. Cyan has been my favorite company since Riven came out. I still remember sitting next to my friend while pressing the button to rotate the room as he told me there appeared to be 5 positions, and to remember that number.

edit: As for suggestions, I think the time for that is long past. With the game nearly finished, all Cyan is probably doing is finishing up a few final things, and optimizing, and bug testing. The scope, design, and layout of the game were decided a long time ago.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby illu45 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:39 am

I definitely share your disappointment about the KS. I was hoping for some cool insights into the development of the game, and we've gotten a couple of neat blog posts, but they have been really sparse. I understand that those sorts of things take time to put together, but it's not like Cyan has done nothing but development since the end of the KS. They've been at GDC and Mysterium, for instance. Surely it wouldn't take that much effort to share some of the content they produced for those events with the backers? Having to follow a bunch of different sites/outlets to get updates on a game that I backed doesn't exactly make me feel 'appreciated' as a backer.

Anyhow, at this point I've pretty much stopped waiting for news/updates and will be happy to get the game whenever it's actually finished.
illu45
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Fri May 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Magic88889 wrote:Frankly, given the level I backed this game at, I had expected more. At least part of the reason I back projects like this on Kickstarter is go gain a bit of insight into the development process, and Cyan has sadly not delivered on that front at all. There have been a few posts on the production blog, but not much, and nothing recently either. We've also had a video or two, but again, not much.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to merge the backer's section into the proper form areas, since they're basically private versions of the regular public section.
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby HollyBluebird » Mon May 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Cyan do not take suggestions for their games but I hope it changes if they can see why it will help. :)

Perhaps we can give ideas anyway so if Cyan likes it they can use it? So why not share your ideas and let Cyan know we do care about it! :)
HollyBluebird

Postby Mac_Fife » Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 am

As Magic88889 said, any opportunity for suggestions for Obduction passed a long time ago. Cyan no doubt had a pretty good idea of the shape of the game and potential options before even launching the Kickstarter. They would have to have that so they'd know what they could do for any of the possible funding outcomes. Besides, Cyan have their own way of working and they would be keen not to reveal too much of the game in advance and it's hard to make meaningful suggestions when you don't what you're making suggestions into: They just become random distractions. The only possible influence I could see is where potential backers say "I'd back more if I thought it'd include X", but as noted, that time has long gone and suggestions now could only ever be for a future game.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Tai'lahr » Tue May 17, 2016 8:46 am

HollyBluebird wrote:Cyan do not take suggestions for their games ...

This is a blanket statement which is not entirely true. You seem to have made an assumption based on the fact that you haven't received a personal reply to your lengthy posts. Cyan is very plugged into the fan community and does listen. (They're a bit busy trying to meet a deadline at the moment, though.) At one time, there was a Suggestions section on the MOUL forum and it's 25 pages of fan posts, some of which Cyan actually considered.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby Anna Catherine » Tue May 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Cyan has always been, in my experience, extremely appreciative of their fans and very gracious toward us. They're a small team coming up on a looming deadline for a very ambitious project, so they're understandably pretty quiet right now, but I have no doubt that they're well aware of player feedback and doing their absolute best to deliver a gaming experience that will be as enjoyable as possible for us.

That said, games can't be made entirely by majority vote. Cyan has their own vision and their own aesthetic, and ultimately they are the ones responsible for bringing their project to fruition, not us. It's sort of a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation where trying to put everyone's input into a game will result in a product that doesn't truly satisfy anyone. Cyan can and should keep in mind what their fans like (which I have no doubt they do,) but I think the flip side of that is that as fans, we need to trust Cyan to make a great game in their own way.

Holly, have you ever considered going into game design yourself? I'm being totally serious and not at all sarcastic. You seem to have a lot of good ideas that you've put a great deal of work into... but that don't necessarily fit with the type of games Cyan makes. If you learned to make your own games, you would have the freedom to do whatever you wanted rather than having to just hope a developer will pick up on your wishes.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Postby korovev » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:48 am

Localization is done by subtitles only, not dubbing, is that correct?
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Hannah » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:19 am

korovev wrote:Localization is done by subtitles only, not dubbing, is that correct?

Our Steam page currently shows support for localized interfaces + subtitles in 7 different languages. We currently only have English marked as having full audio support.
Hannah
Hannah
Site Admin

Postby azel » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:01 pm

I imagine the CYAN team is in the ‘crunch’ mode right now (it happens when a game deadline gets near), staying up nights, beta testing and fixing bugs. I doubt if they have any extra time for us gamers at the moment. Just leave them alone and let them do their work. They’ll be glad to talk to us after the game is released and they have some extra time to visit.
azel

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)