Obduction System Specs

For installation issues, problems running the game, game improvement suggestions, etc.

Obduction System Specs

Postby Tomala » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Just in case no one saw the system specs listed on the Obduction Steam page, here they are:

Minimum:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB / AMD R9 290 w/4 GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space

If you haven't upgraded your system since the last game Cyan released now might be a good time to do so. :P
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Re: Obduction System Specs

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

Aw disappointing my system does not quite fit the bill.(it's about 5 years old now.) It still works and I don't feel like upgrading for one game, so I'll wait for now.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Teknobubba » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:23 pm

I'm clueless about Intel CPUs. What's that spec in AMD-speak?
When you shop, insist on free range corn dogs
Teknobubba
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Teknobubba wrote:I'm clueless about Intel CPUs. What's that spec in AMD-speak?

A mid line FX processor at the very least. Kind of strange that they didn't list the AMD side for CPU's.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Ehren » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:41 pm

What is the difference between "Minimum" and "Recommended"? Like, how am I supposed to know which one to take seriously??? I fail to understand how the recommended requirements can be different than the minimum requirements, unless they are saying: "just kidding about the "minimum" actually working!"

I have "ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series" graphics card, which is a brand they don't even mention.

My "Processor" says "Intel Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz" which I don't know how to compare to the format they wrote down for the processor's requirements.
(Edit: Stupid Forum won't even show extra spaces? Thanks for assuming what I should have typed...)

My "Memory" falls short of the "Minimum", so I hope that isn't horribly important...
[ID:00052872]
Ehren
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:00 pm

If your computer does not meet the minimum spec, you will not be able to play the game as the creators intended. You may have frame drops, the game may not look correct or in the worst case the game may not run at all.

If you just meet the system requirements, you may not be able use all of the game features.(you may have to play with certurn visual effects turned off or at a lower resolution). If you want the best experience your PC should exceed the recommended specs.

System requirements are hard to make since you can not possibly account for every piece of hardware setup. Most companies probally end up guessing. Larger companies can test various hardware to see how the game performs but this is impractical for smaller companies like Cyan.

If you goto 'https://www.cpubenchmark.net' and find your CPU you can see how closely it matches up with the intel one they recommend.

In another thread I asked if they would be a demo, as this is the best way to find out if the full game will work on your machine or not.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby AdamJohnso » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Ehren wrote:I have "ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series" graphics card, which is a brand they don't even mention.

Your GPU is too old. Those came out 8 years ago while the 7000 series came out roughly 6 years ago.
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Postby HyperionTitanOfLight » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Ehren wrote:What is the difference between "Minimum" and "Recommended"? Like, how am I supposed to know which one to take seriously??? I fail to understand how the recommended requirements can be different than the minimum requirements, unless they are saying: "just kidding about the "minimum" actually working!"

I have "ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series" graphics card, which is a brand they don't even mention.

My "Processor" says "Intel Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz" which I don't know how to compare to the format they wrote down for the processor's requirements.
(Edit: Stupid Forum won't even show extra spaces? Thanks for assuming what I should have typed...)

My "Memory" falls short of the "Minimum", so I hope that isn't horribly important...

Minimum requirements are the bare minimum for what you need to have the game run. Recommended specs are what you should have to play the game on it's high settings and still run the game very well.
HyperionTitanOfLight
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:41 am

Ehren wrote:What is the difference between "Minimum" and "Recommended"? Like, how am I supposed to know which one to take seriously??? I fail to understand how the recommended requirements can be different than the minimum requirements, unless they are saying: "just kidding about the "minimum" actually working!"

Your CPU would be written like this CPU Intel i7-960. This means it's a first generation i-series processor, while the game requires at least a 2nd generation processor. However, you have an i7, while the game only wants an i5. Not being super familiar with the differences between generations, I don't know if that will be an issue or not.

Your GPU is also really old, and will struggle with this game, if it's able to play it at all. In terms of performance, it's about the same as an GeForce 480 GTX, which is 2 generations older than the one they put on the minimum list. I don't even know how much video RAM you have, but that might be a problem too.
And the reason that ATI wasn't mention is because they don't exist anymore. AMD now owns their product line.

And unfortunately, typically memory is one of the most important things in terms of performance for a computer. If you don't have enough, you're probably going to run into issues with the game crashing. Of course, that might depend on just how short you are. Given the age of the rest of your hardware, I'd guess you probably have 4 GB, which I can guarantee is not going to be enough.

A new CPU, and with it, probably a new motherboard. A new GPU. And more memory, which you might have to purchase anyway if it's not compatible with the new CPU (I think it is, unless you go with more modern CPU). While you could probably do this upgrade, you might find other things that need upgraded as well, like your computer case, or the power supply. Not knowing your exact details it's hard to judge. However, you're probably better off just buying a new system altogether at this point.

The minimum are the minimum that will play the game, period. Probably with all the settings turned down or off, but it will play the game. The Recommended ones are those that will allow you to play the game with those settings turned up, or on. You'll get a better visual experience, but that's it.

I hope some of that clears things up for you.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:32 am

Magic88889 wrote:Your CPU would be written like this CPU Intel i7-960. This means it's a first generation i-series processor, while the game requires at least a 2nd generation processor. However, you have an i7, while the game only wants an i5. Not being super familiar with the differences between generations, I don't know if that will be an issue or not.

It isn't an issue. I'm running the same architecture (x58)and it handles unreal 4 fine. If he wants he could buy an Intel Xeon X5680 (6 cores 6 hyperthreads) dirt cheap off of ebay, though the current CPU he's running should do the job fine. What he really needs to focus on is getting a new GPU and adding more memory, which shouldn't be a problem as DDR3 RAM is dirt cheap as well.

But yeah, I'm running a Xeon X5680 paired with an R9 290 (soon to be R9 Fury) and 12 GB of RAM on my desktop. It plays the latest games just fine.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:15 am

Ehren wrote:(Edit: Stupid Forum won't even show extra spaces? Thanks for assuming what I should have typed...)
Off topic but it's HTML that does that (consolidating whitespace), not the forums (although the forums have a special case if you type a double space at the beginning of line).
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Tomala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:27 pm

I forgot to point out that Unreal 4 games DO consume a lot of memory. If you have anything less than 8GB you're not going to be very happy.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Yeah I stupidly invested in a motherboard that takes DDR2 which is now outdated. But if the specs are correct I need a whole new computer. Obduction is cool but not that cool, so either need some other new games to get excited about or my motherboard to 'blow up'. I have no clue when my motherboard will fail but modern games are not too interesting too me at the moment. :(
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby Tomala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:Yeah I stupidly invested in a motherboard that takes DDR2 which is now outdated. But if the specs are correct I need a whole new computer. Obduction is cool but not that cool, so either need some other new games to get excited about or my motherboard to 'blow up'. I have no clue when my motherboard will fail but modern games are not too interesting too me at the moment. :(

What are your specs if you don't mind me asking?
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Anna Catherine » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:01 pm

For the record, games may run on systems below the listed minimum specs. You're just doing so at your own risk; there's a good chance it won't work, and if it doesn't you likely are not eligible for a refund or able to receive assistance with technical support.

The developer has no way of being absolutely sure where the point is that the game will not run on every possible PC system configuration, so minimum specs are generally a safe guess rather than a guarantee. I've run games below the listed minimums in the past with no major issues - but I've also tried games that completely didn't work or had such poor performance that it wasn't viable.

I certainly don't recommend running Obduction (or any game) at below minimum specs if you can help it. If you have no other option, though, and you don't mind the possibility of losing the money you spent, it's not impossible that it'll work, especially if you're very close but just slightly under.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to Technical Discussion