Obduction Demo

Obduction Demo

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi:
Does anyone know if they will be an Obduction demo?
-Jamie
(It MAY run on my computer even though it's a bellow the system requirements)
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Re: Obduction Demo

Postby belford » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Cyan hasn't announced one. That's what we know.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:46 am

Once the game is released we should probably start a thread where we post our system specs, what settings we used, and how the game ran. This will help people evaluate how the game will run on their system.

As for a demo, we don't know. Personally, I don't expect one.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby HyperionTitanOfLight » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:19 am

Magic88889 wrote:Once the game is released we should probably start a thread where we post our system specs, what settings we used, and how the game ran. This will help people evaluate how the game will run on their system.

As for a demo, we don't know. Personally, I don't expect one.

That's a good idea. Make a new thread for it and title it "What system specs we are all using" to make it clear for people browsing the forums.
HyperionTitanOfLight
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Magic88889 wrote:Once the game is released we should probably start a thread where we post our system specs

Why wait? It would be better to start one now to help people get ready for the new release.
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:02 pm

A pretty reasonable way to check how well your system will handle Obduction is to try one of the Unreal Engine demos, and see how it runs on your system.

Obduction is memory heavy, so I would definitely stick by the 8GB of memory requirement, but you may find that your CPU/GPU will have more effect on how the game runs.

Try these demos out. If you don't have a way to open a RAR file, I recommend downloading 7zip, which is completely free and handles just about every kind of compressed archive there is.

Demos: https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2 ... os/mirrors

7Zip: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby KDeFlane » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:21 pm

I like the idea of WAITING until the actual game is actually running on actual machines to hear reports from actual people about what they actually experience. All of these benchmark tests are great for getting a ballpark sense of how well prepared my machine is, but there are always special cases in the playing of a game. Let's pool reports and share feedback -- spoiler-free, of course -- after launch, to compare results that will help others fine-tune their own settings.
KDeFlane
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:53 am

Well those demos not run well on my machine :(. Maybe if I could figure out how to lower the setting, particularly the resolution since I can't run much of anything over 720P with a good framerate. The cave one ran the best when I hit 'f' on the 'lowest' setting block before that it was barely playable.(like 1 FPS)
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby Tomala » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:17 am

KDeFlane wrote:I like the idea of WAITING until the actual game is actually running on actual machines to hear reports from actual people about what they actually experience. All of these benchmark tests are great for getting a ballpark sense of how well prepared my machine is, but there are always special cases in the playing of a game. Let's pool reports and share feedback -- spoiler-free, of course -- after launch, to compare results that will help others fine-tune their own settings.

Actually, having run the UE4 demo, and actually having played two UE4 games to get an actual idea of how much actual resources they actually take up, I can actually say that it's actually the actual engine and not the stuff in said engine. Both games I've played with have actually taken up LOTS of system memory to sustain itself. From my experience it actually has taken up an actual 6 to 8 GB out of the 12 I actually have installed to run it on Ultra or High. And I actually imagine that Obduction will not be a special snowflake in this case.

Jamie Marchant wrote:Well those demos not run well on my machine :(. Maybe if I could figure out how to lower the setting, particularly the resolution since I can't run much of anything over 720P with a good framerate. The cave one ran the best when I hit 'f' on the 'lowest' setting block before that it was barely playable.(like 1 FPS)

Just an FYI, mobo's don't really blow up up that often. It's known to happen but it's very rare. Upgrading your system wouldn't be very expensive to meet the min requirements.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:44 pm

For the record I have:
6 GB of DDR2 memory (a 2 GB stick is $70)
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor(dual-core)
An ATI Radeon HD 5450 in a 'PCIe 2.0 x16' slot(so a newer card may not be fast enough)
I do have enough space(I have an external eSATA 1TB drive if I need it)
I can't find my motherboard manually but it's a bit older now.

Also I know it's unlikely for my motherboard to blow up, so I guess I'll have to wait for my PC to become outdated.

UPDATE: My computer does not feels a bit outdated, since a lot of things I am running work fine on it.
Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby Tomala » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:Also I know it's unlikely for my motherboard to blow up, so I guess I'll have to wait for my PC to become outdated.

Sorry, but by those standards it already is... Heck, my Motherboard and Processor are a 1st gen Sandy Bridge which were a thing 6 years ago... and that has plenty of power to run the game.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby AdamJohnso » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Dayum, that stuff is from the Triassic. TBH, if you expect to play a new game, you should realize that you'll need to invest in some decent hardware. This isn't URU we're talking about here. ;)
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Postby Mowog » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:41 am

My system just did a very good job with "Everybody's Gone To The Rapture," so hopefully it will handle Obduction as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to double my RAM from 8 to 16 GB, but that's easy enough.

Fingers crossed,

Mowog
MOUL KI: 174162

Mowog
Obduction Backer

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)