Obduction world speculation

Obduction world speculation

Postby aloys » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Oookay, it looks like there is a slight lack of speculation going on here so let's try to get this started.

While we don't know much *cough*cough* about Obduction yet there is one common trend I'm seeing: it's that of the actual abduction system; and how it might give us clues to what the Obduction world could be made of..

We know we are abducted; we know it's by that seed-looking alien aircraft (?) but there's more to that. One not so little detail that someone rightfuly pointed out a couple pages ago is that on the farmhouse picture parts of the white picket fence are missing. Glaring round holes are digged in there. Same thing on the other 'Stillt village' picture..
And that intriguing fourth picture nobody is talking about (the 'Forest' drawing).. It looks like a spherical section of a forest has been cutout and then implanted inside a rock formation..
And on the KS 'reward' image there's a small glimpse of a postcard with something on it.. It looks like stuff (buildings? vehicles) and mud or soil has been dropped on the ground... Again a spherical section of a place (including its soil) being abducted and dropped on the ground where it fel haphazardly?.. The picture is so small i'm speculating wildly here.

Could it be that the abduction process teleport spherical sections of our world to the Obduction world? Which could then mean we would wander the surface of the O-world finding random spherical bits of our earth (and other world?) scattered around. I might be totally off the mark but that could be very surrealistic; and really cool.
The D'ni-verse has the Books as gates to other places, could it be that the O-niverse has its abduction device as its world creating contraption?
aloys
Obduction Backer

Re: Obduction world speculation

Postby Qlex » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:02 am

I think you are right Aloys. Abduction is a telportation process. Rand use it as this in the Video.
About the farmhouse picture http://obductiongame.com/kickstarter/Farmhouse-LG.png. To my opinion the complete farm was abducted and the "limit of abduction was the fence. Some parts of the fence were to close of the abduction sphere and were cut off.
In the sky there are 2 spheres. I think that are those abduction spheres. They look to close to be moons.
I noticed also the pipes coming out of the ground and entering the farm. Probably to bring some power into the house.
Did you see that rocks? Just like in Avatar! Coool :D
[img]http://users.skynet.be/xelaalex/AlexSignature.png[/img]
[img]https://goo.gl/photos/vJRbV6ttTKGpxXyUA[/img]
Qlex
Obduction Backer

Postby ghaelen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:20 am

I am intrigued by dualistic concepts right from the beginning.

Quoting Rand from the Obduction on Kickstarter video: "What happens to a person who is abducted, when they are taken to a new place?"

Well, we don't know what happens, but I think I can safely say that we'd have one of two reactions:
Fear, immediately see everything as a threat, and act accordingly.
Curiosity, immediately see everything as interesting, and act accordingly.
Granted, the two can exist in tandem as well, but I think one reaction would be the first and would drive subsequent choices.

What I also find interesting is the notion that I'm interesting enough to BE taken away. What alien would want me? Something so intelligent wouldn't just pick beings at random - what about me attracted it? Either they know nothing about me - or they do. Hmmm.... that second idea is rather worrisome...

And more duality:
I am transported to a new world in what looks like a mufti-layered seed pod. It seems to be at once organic and way beyond any technology I know of. I wonder if it made a prior connection with me, even if subconsciously. Maybe I'm needed somewhere, to do something or to be something? Populate a new world, maybe? Help find a lost something, maybe? Be dinner, maybe?

Since I'm not "the only once whose been abducted," I hope eventually to see all my friends again! (Oh, didn't you know? If I get taken I'm going to ask them to come and get you too!)
We are the shapers and the caretakers of this metaverse. How we honor ourselves and others largely determines what we bring into being.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299
ghaelen
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 am

ghaelen wrote:I am transported to a new world in what looks like a mufti-layered seed pod. It seems to be at once organic and way beyond any technology I know of. I wonder if it made a prior connection with me, even if subconsciously. Maybe I'm needed somewhere, to do something or to be something? Populate a new world, maybe? Help find a lost something, maybe? Be dinner, maybe?

I like this theory.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Samsbase » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 am

I'm more of the opinion that the house has been put there by the abductors and not taken from our world. There was an episode of Star Trek where and alien force built a similar setup on a world where the whole planet had been wiped out in order to keep the one remaining human happy. I would think this is a similar premise. Give the abductee something so they can live on the new planet. Much more likely storyline I'd think.
The ending will never be written as long as the called remain to continue on the path of those who came before
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/
Samsbase
Obduction Backer

Postby A'Reandal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:02 am

The size of the holes in the Farmhouse fence exactly match the sizes of the blue stones/spheres/spore pods/whatever lying on the ground in front of the fence. Also, the holes' circumferences are discolored as if burned by heat or acid. It’s as if the stones made the holes by melting through the fence.

Maybe I’m looking too hard and it means nothing. shrug
A'Reandal
Obduction Backer

Postby rolliko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Think the holes in the fence were made by an angry and hungry Dinoalien.I suspect there are frightened people inside waiting to be rescued.
Im lost...no really ! Im lost.
rolliko
Obduction Backer

Postby ghaelen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:42 am

The holes in the fench (farmhouse image) do seem to be perfectly round, which could have been created by an techno/organic being, or maybe they are spores - like the round spore-like spheres nearby. It is almost as if the spores float through the air as spores normally do but these burn through material not originally of their world.

The techno/organic beings are those sitting on or attached to the vine that seems to have grown toward the house or from the house. Their antennae also end in spheres. Do they draw energy through the vine? From the house, through the house to something else, or do they provide the house with power? Looking at the small blue spherical lights in the vine on the right and at the vine near the house, it seems that the vine near the house is not very healthy. It seems darker, drier, and more brittle.

The strangest thing is that the vine coming up from the ground at the wagon seems to be made up of heads of odd-looking creatures. I get the strong impression they are not very happy to be part of whatever they've been co-opted into doing...

And the red stickers/blue stickers - well, those just made me smile and grimace at the same time. Not those two boys again? :)
We are the shapers and the caretakers of this metaverse. How we honor ourselves and others largely determines what we bring into being.

ghaelen
Obduction Backer

Postby A'Reandal » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 am

the spores float through the air as spores normally do

YES! That's what I was missing. I was thinking of the blue spheres lying about in the Farmhouse pic as more solid in nature ("stones/spheres/spore pods/whatever".) If they are spores they would float.

Good catch, ghaelen!
A'Reandal
Obduction Backer

Postby Merle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Another suspect for the makers-of-holes-in-the-fence: the farmhouse appearing at around 5:15 in the Kickstarter video has some metallic spheres floating around in the air. (Comparison image here.)

To me, the floating spheres around the farmhouse look very "Martinière" (cf. his "Yellow Room", which appears to be early Uru concept for the Great Zero). I have a hunch that perhaps the floating spheres were removed because of their visual similarity to the bubbles in Stilt Village. However, that is assuming they were removed from the final design: another possibility is that they are "gameplay elements" Cyan either forgot or "forgot" to edit out. If you look at Tweek's post of his Obduction "Tree" piece on his tumblr, you will notice it says "Edited version of the piece as the original gives gameplay elements away." Hm.

Other differences to spot in the 5:15 Kickstarter farmhouse: the bushes appear only as the "bush shadows" behind them; porch steps and rail are missing; the vines reaching toward the house are "sketchier"; there is an object to the right of the front door; and two vertical dark lines to right of the upper-right window are missing. These things could point to this being an earlier or unfinished version.

One last observation, mostly unrelated to the above: In the Kickstarter video intro, the last two worlds seen "through" the seeds (the familiar farmhouse, and a location I have been calling the "Bristlecone Swamp") clearly exhibit parallax (Wiki). This could be seen as evidence that these locations are set up in a 3D engine, but I think it is more likely that an appearance of depth has been given to the 2D art, as is commonly done in side scrolling games.
Merle - MOULagain KI#: 49828
Lend a hand in the recent puzzles: Come and edit the Obduction ARG Wiki page!
Merle
Obduction Backer

Postby Buzzle1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Another difference between the photos on the Kickstarter page and those in the video is the Rewards page. There's an additional image on the video Rewards picture, on the bottom left side of the picture. It says 'Signed Obduction Poster' and shows the seed and a kind of scary looking dispersion (it's at 7:18 in the video).
KI# 00223556
Buzzle1
Obduction Backer

Postby rolliko » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:06 am

My world speculation has come to an end.
Thankfully Cyan updates warn that there maybe spoilers,Those updates are now being deleted unread.
I don't want to know anything more until 2015.
I'm hoping this game will be a good challenge.

Those strange orbs could be alien moth balls coughed up by an irritated caterpillar.
Im lost...no really ! Im lost.
rolliko
Obduction Backer

Postby ghaelen » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:23 am

So we can start speculating again. Cuz you know Cyan won't tell us anything more for two years. We have lots to puzzle over, look at, study, fuss about - I speculate the new game has something to do with seeds....

ghaelen
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:37 pm

The last video I think provided a hint about how these seeds may work. They are perhaps some sort of meteorite thing that if you are unlucky enough to get hit by one it some how transports you. Perhaps that is the seeds 'scattering'?

I haven't figured out how it might transport a whole house since the seed only took Ryan and not the Cyan HQ.

Perhaps the seeds come in different sizes? There might be really huge ones.

Also I wonder if the seeds 'swap' with something. E.g there was a seed the size of the house (or something else there) that got swapped into the location of where the house is from? Perhaps allowing a 'tree'?!? to grow in its place on Earth allowing the seeds to spread/'scatter' even more through the universe?
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Ahlisendar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Maybe the only reason humans are on Earth is because a seed transported some of them here? Maybe the seeds only exist to randomly transport people and populate the universe...?
That would be cool.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)