Obduction world speculation

Re: Obduction world speculation

Postby Ainia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:42 am

Hey folks,

While looking for a photograph of Karl Hunrath, I ran into this very interesting web site. Seems we are not alone in trying to analyze what little we know about the Obduction worlds. :D
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Ehren » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:09 pm

I have a pretty big theory about the story of Obduction! Well about the nature of the seeds at least.

I'm spoilering this just in case I'm right about some part... or if someone wants to skip reading my hypothesis, but it has an idea that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The seeds were described by Cyan as being able to transport you and hinted that they have an affect on the world they took you to, right? Since they are called seeds and look like giant seeds I'm guessing they grow giant plants like you see with the vines in the concept art images.

My idea:

The farmhouse you see in the concept art isn't actually a farmhouse at all! But rather it grew from the plant itself! A replica of a farmhouse that the seed itself somehow remembered. So the house (and things in it) is actually made up of the plant, though probably grown in some complicated way that simulates the original materials' properties quite well. Notice how the vine goes right up to the farmhouse, seeming to go through its walls like some kind of pipe... I think the plant actually GREW the house from itself. And also grew the yard and fence around it too. There is, after all, another vine going into the ground in the yard, and the wheeled thing outside the fence looks like a growth from that vine itself.

The vines themselves seem to be a mix of metal and plant, so maybe that lends something to my idea... Like some highly advanced plant that is mixed with technology, growing wires and such along with the organic part.

So why would this plant want to learn about a planet's living environment when the seed itself is traveling to a completely different planet to actually grow? There are many possible ideas for that, I don't want to get much into guesses about the actual reason for growing duplications...

My thought: The seeds spread animals/people with them from planet to planet (perhaps somehow for its own benefit). But first the plant learns about the planet it's currently on and passes the knowledge into the seeds it ends up growing. Maybe it builds on the knowledge that previous generations of the plant learned on other planets. Growing a variety of remembered items probably helps ensure that the creatures it takes with it will find SOMEWHERE they can live.

Another similar-ish idea: Perhaps the seeds scatter to various planets then are bringing animal life back to one place to make a sort of collection or "zoo"... Also another reason to try to copy the creature's environment.

This is all still just guessing, my main idea here is just that the seeds grow into plants that grow replicas of things from other planets. A rather different idea than teleportation of these areas.
[ID:00052872]
Ehren
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Hey Ehren,

Wow, very interesting theory!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
And, brrrr, it really reminds me of that creepy movie Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and how the plant pods replicated people. So do you suppose these seeds leave replicants behind on the obductees' home planet?
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby A'Reandal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Great theory, Ehren!

Other media references where structures are built for the abducted beings:
Twilight Zone - Stopover in a Quiet Town
Twilight Zone - People Are Alike All Over

Okay, I guess my media references aren't helping much. um

Thanks for the link, Ainia! Good analysis by Celeste Masinter.
A'Reandal
Obduction Backer

Postby Teknobubba » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Obduction is a covering over, so maybe there's no abduction...just a covering over so that we never leave "here". Just another dimension overlayed on ours where we end up.
When you shop, insist on free range corn dogs
Teknobubba
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Dan'nee wrote:
kf6kjg wrote:Yeah, the house being w/o holes was, as far as I remember, an artist typo.

This is correct. (Three posts for emphasis.)

Umm we will need to discuss this at a later date.
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby kf6kjg » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Later date... the 6th? :P J/K.
Ricky C / Cron Stardust
kf6kjg

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)