I think I need a hint (possible spoilers)

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

I think I need a hint (possible spoilers)

Postby james948 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:42 am

A subtle one. I can't cope. I've found the marks on the wall in Farley's house and projected the panel dots on top.
I've got to the Villein Control Panel Interface but I am not getting anywhere. Here is what I have tried.

• Obvs first thought was that it's the shape 15 but that didn't lead me to anything.
• I managed to make something approximating 15 on the panel which made 734. That didn't work.
• Ditto with 990.
• Then I began to think that maybe it was rotated so I tried 51 all different ways. None of which worked.
• Then I tried making 15 in base 4 which would mean 33 but neither 033 or just 33 worked.
• I did the same with 51 in base four which meant 303 which is a three digit number. I was sure this would work. Nothing.
• Then I figured perhaps I had to pull the blind in Farley's house up a bit. So I did that and realised that the 15 *could* be slicing through the sections, not connecting them. So I tried that. Still nothing.
• I figured the markings around the 15 shape could need to be crossed to be lined up. Or ..
• they might mean something to do with connecting the dots at the side. Still nothing.

I've gone through the numbering system; I've tried to understand it and I can make sense of it but I still don't know how this helps me.

I'm wondering whether there's a piece of information somewhere else that I need to have; though I don't know what it could be.

The one mistake I did make was turning the waterfall rotator path back to a position where it means I can no longer get to the door on the other side of the river though, as far as I can remember, there was just a locked door there. I don't know how to get to the other side of the river any other way.

All this is assuming I'm right in assuming the map in the Farley's house with the projected circle around it is showing me the place where the door that the code unlocks is. It's the one with the three digits; white panel with a hinged cover, right?

Dear God. In Myst the code was engraved at the top of the tower.

If you think I'm on the right track and don't need any other information to work this out then do tell me. I was so determined to play this game without one hint but I'm worried because I borrowed the laptop and will have to return it soonish so I don't want to spend weeks on this.

If you can give me a super subtle hint that would be great. Thanks so much fellow obductees.

James
james948
Obduction Backer

Re: I think I need a hint (possible spoilers)

Postby Altairien » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:08 am

Input/output.

Seriously, you are so very close to seeing the light. You're just missing one, tiny little detail that will open the whole thing up. I know because I missed it too at first.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby tommyap » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:34 am

[edit] (post removed)
On second thought that may have been more than a hint.
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby BrettM » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:14 am

james948 wrote:• I managed to make something approximating 15 on the panel which made 734. That didn't work.

Don't abandon this idea. If you got 734, you didn't make it right.
*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
BrettM

Postby james948 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone! and thanks @tommyap for deleting that before I had a chance to see it!

Much appreciate everyone's sensitivity!

Onwards !!
james948
Obduction Backer

Postby Susa'n » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:02 pm

james948 wrote:A subtle one. I can't cope. I've found the marks on the wall in Farley's house and projected the panel dots on top.
I've got to the Villein Control Panel Interface but I am not getting anywhere. Here is what I have tried.

• Obvs first thought was that it's the shape 15 but that didn't lead me to anything.

James

That should have done it. Just re-blob onto the Villein device the "15" (or "IS") exactly as positioned on the screen in Farley's Community Center. Then translate that shape to human number.
Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
Susa'n

Postby james948 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:16 am

Wow. That was a far easier puzzle than I made it out to be. I can't believe how easy it was. So easy that I began to wonder whether they were all that easy; and now I'm stuck on the next one; Oh well, such is life.
james948
Obduction Backer

Postby calistadrake » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:47 pm

How do you get a number from what you've entered into the panel?
calistadrake

Postby Altairien » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:04 pm

calistadrake wrote:How do you get a number from what you've entered into the panel?

Think computer keyboard.

Additional hints:

It's not really entered until you do something...

to enter it into the system...

by pressing the Villein "enter" key...

which is the blue lit button above the panel.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby calistadrake » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Thank you. I had been hunting and hunting for something else to click on on that thing, but I couldn't see the hotspot there, because the light was too bright, and hid it from me.
calistadrake

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS