[Spoilers] Endings: Bad, Good, and BEST.

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Re: [Spoilers] Endings: Bad, Good, and BEST.

Postby Hefred » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:25 pm

I agree with Bryan B, I would have liked exploring more, ie. the Saving Arizona area, but then it would have had some function in the game. Being able to get back to the Pods would have been nice.
Hefred MOUL, KI ID:00232078 00756156

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant"
Hefred

Postby gimlet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:05 pm

This thread filled in a lot of the story for me, despite having played the game through twice now and missing almost all of it. One thing that bothered me was not the game so much as the emptiness of the story. In comparison, the entire Myst series had an "ecologically complete" story - with the possible exceptions of bathrooms :) - in that the motivations were clear, the people involved had very clear stories, etc. So that experience was mundanely believable in a way. Obduction doesn't set the stage nearly as well as has been pointed out. More of the stuff that has been discussed in this thread should have been in a journal or two available for reading. There is no compelling reason given to actually DO anything in Hunrath save for boredom, since food, water, etc. are not part of the game. WHY should I do something for CW when he is at best a very annoying figure who I would in my nastier days tell to go hang based on his behavior and abysmal communication? He has no need whatsoever NOT to give you precise information as to what to do exactly, where and how to do it, at least as far as the Hunrath puzzles are concerned, in fact the exact opposite. This to me was the most disappointing thing in the game. And the "good" ending is also annoying. In most of the Myst series, one could save the end state and go explore more. Here one must save a game in the pre-dynamite stage, and even then wandering around is hard. For instance, why did the Maray tramline functionally close off and be only one-way? Id like to ride it back and forth a couple times to enjoy the fantastic art work.
- gimlet (since 2006)
gimlet
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:48 am

To be fair, the Myst story was developed over ~15 years and 6 games by three companies. Not to mention three books, an extremely active and creative community, and countless tidbits from RAWA to fill in the blanks. Story-wise, I think things are about on par with the first game when it first came out.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby gimlet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:58 am

Thinking of Myst - even by itself it made sense - you had a reason to go hunt up blue and red pages, you knew why Atrus couldn't do anything himself (trapped and busy). If CW would have been "trapped" in his bunker and there were technological problems with communications, then it would have made more sense that you as the new arrival would have to do things for him, and that what he could tell you would be limited, often something like this:

<static> find journal <more static> note in workshop <static> Power needed from railyard <static> (local battery runs down and needs to recharge before next message)

Things would get clearer as you solved the rest of Hunrath. CW could profess ignorance of what to do in the other spheres, other than to revive the trees so his construction can move Hunrath back to Arizona and his narrow focus revealed with comments as to "the heck with the other spheres", only interested in himself now. But justification is still weak in Obduction, i.e. why should you care at all? Nobody is shooting at you for instance. In Myst you have 2 trapped brothers pleading with you, and telling you how to help them specifically - find pages. You would need better communication/journals from Farley to make the conflict more explicit, and thus make you care.

Still, all in all, good game. Could have used better story telling though.
- gimlet (since 2006)
gimlet
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:00 am

Thinking of Myst - even by itself it made sense

No, it really didn't.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:55 am

No, in Myst you don't get any direction other than a quick message from Atrus saying something has happened, and Sirrus and Achenar telling you to find the pages for some reason (what pages and where they are is never mentioned). You don't actually meet Atrus till the end of the game and find out that he's trapped and what actually happened.

Obduction sets up a foreboding atmosphere. Think about it. Everything is locked up. Farley mentions something about a battle, and the whole place seems deserted.
There are signs everywhere warning about approaching some kind of rock, and there's this red beam shooting to the sky. Plus Robyn's music which just sets the tone beautifully.
On top of that, you get this cranky guy telling you to do stuff. While you play the game, you slowly find out what happened, and by the end you more or less know the score. And as for CW not helping, he clearly explains that there's a lot to do, and he's doing his part, and would like you to help out with another part.

As I said, story-wise, Obduction is about on par with Myst. I think Myst did a few things better, but then so did Obduction.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:41 am

Loved it. Played twice... no hints except for the Lazy Susan ("Maze") puzzle, so am reading this thread for the first time today. Play much delayed because of the original early ("alpha") Mac versions, but the latest 1.4.1 plus Mac OS 10.12.2 fixed it all for me. Nice thread here; thoughtful comments appreciated.

My only thought (as mentioned once below) was that too many accesses were blocked off at the end; I also would have enjoyed revisiting the pods, riding the elevated tram through cleared gates, etc. I might even have ridden the blue-beam-shooting cart around, but unfortunately I left it in a place where it was trapped by a big rock sphere.

(Also would have enjoyed meeting a "live" Caroline Farley and/or CW at the game's end.)
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS