What got left on the cutting room floor?

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

What got left on the cutting room floor?

Postby BeigeAlert » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:04 am

From the day I preordered this game all the way up until release, I checked the kickstarter page just about every day for updates. I remember one in particular was about how a publisher backed out or vanished... or something, leaving Cyan forced to trim a lot of fat off of Obduction.

Out of curiosity, what did we miss out on? Would Scoria have been more fleshed out with its own puzzles, instead of pretty much a linear path? Would we have gotten that 5th world after all? (obviously I'm not counting the forest at the beginning :P )
BeigeAlert

Re: What got left on the cutting room floor?

Postby Tahgtahv » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:31 am

To my knowledge there was never a possibility of a 5th world. There was a possibility of a 4th world, which we got anyways in a very limited sense.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Postby Talashar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:22 pm

The Kickstarter update at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/661265 describes the stretch goal as going "from hub plus three to hub plus four". Hunrath is the hub, presumably.

While this probably has more to do with normal changes during the game's development, I found the following description of Farley interesting. The kid's gone...and a pet mofang? :shock:
She has a 2 year old boy (who has no name, but answers to “kid"), a pet mofang, a dead husband, and a longing for fine silk.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/642325
Talashar Geltahn; Ki 183867
An overview of D'ni grammar
My fiction
Talashar
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Dang... I really want that 4th world now... :)

Mofang are the red dudes, right? ...a pet mofang?
BeigeAlert

Postby belford » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:00 pm

That "hub plus four" was the original Kickstarter pitch. It doesn't really tell us anything about what decisions Cyan was making in October 2015 when they posted about reducing their scope.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Altairien » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Talashar wrote:The Kickstarter update at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/661265 describes the stretch goal as going "from hub plus three to hub plus four". Hunrath is the hub, presumably.

It's obvious the Mofang world (Soria) got cut to basically nothing. What we got hardly counts as a "world" so what was actually delivered was "hub plus two". (It feels more like "one and a half" since Maray doesn't feel on the same level as Kaptar and Hunrath which are amazingly large and complex.) Soria's one of the few disappointments I have about the game, but it's a pretty big one.

Not going to go all anti-Cyan though. Mistakes in estimates were apparently made and that necessitated tough decisions later on in development. Doesn't mean I can't be disappointed. I would've preferred they had cut the VR support. VR isn't going to give Cyan anywhere close to a decent return on investment unless they cut some distribution deals with VR hardware manufacturers.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:46 pm

Hunrath has plenty of puzzles of it's own. Hub plus three may have meant the tree + hunrath/maray/kaptar
Twitch

Postby Tahgtahv » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:50 am

I would agree. References to the Hub that I've seen are clearly referring to under the portal areas under the tree and not Hunrath. That said, Hunrath is effectively a hub as well, as of the 16 sphere swaps in the game, only 1 does not have Hunrath as an endpoint.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Postby Altairien » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:29 am

Looks to me like Hunrath is the hub just as Myst Island was the hub. Nobody would suggest that only the Library on Myst Island was the hub.

Myst was originally hub plus four. The hub has puzzles too. It's how you access the "plus" worlds and how you advance the central story. Now Myst is hub plus five, sort of. Rime is pretty short, but even Rime has more to do than Soria.

I understand that Cyan didn't get their estimates right and had to adjust, which meant a minimal Soria. Estimates are hard. Development is hard. I get it. I'm still going to be disappointed as I'm sure Cyan themselves are disappointed they couldn't implement their full vision for Soria. Being disappointed doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the experience Cyan did deliver. I did. Twice so far.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby tommyap » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:20 am

There are at least two spheres in Kaptar that do not fit any of the four known worlds.
I asume they belong to that fifth world but it was to much work to remove them after that publisher(?) deal fell through.
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby joaopedro » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:38 am

tommyap wrote:There are at least two spheres in Kaptar that do not fit any of the four known worlds.
I asume they belong to that fifth world but it was to much work to remove them after that publisher(?) deal fell through.

Which ones are you talking about? I believe most of the spheres in Kaptar are just different places in the Arai homeworld (i.e., the places that where brought with indidual beetles/polyarchs that were saved). One of them has a river, so it may be somewhere on the surface of that planet, but the architecture seems to match the temples in Kaptar
joaopedro
Obduction Backer

Postby tommyap » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:28 pm

The yellow and green Arai larvae on them appear nowhere else as far as I know. They are not mentioned in C.F.'s research notes.
Since there is a gameplay reason for the spheres to have easily recognizable origins, why do these three deviate from that?
The only other spheres that deviate are clearly from Earth.
Your guess is as good as mine.
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS