Missed a lot of the story... too focused on the puzzles...

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Missed a lot of the story... too focused on the puzzles...

Postby BeigeAlert » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:34 pm

FInished the game, but realized about the time I saw the Mofang disguised as the mayor, I had no idea what was going on. Up to that point, I'd been too focused on the puzzles to pay much attention to the story... and I think I may have missed a few notes too.

Anyways, I'm hesitant to play through it again right now just because of how much time it takes on some of the more tedious puzzles (especially those that make you go through a loading screen and/or walk the long way around a world to get to the other side of something...). I'm not real keen on going through that again, even though I really did enjoy the game. (unless there's a speed command/cheat... is there?)

Is there anywhere yet where the story/lore has been written up yet?

I'm mostly confused about:
1) Why were they freezing themselves in those pods?
2) Why'd the Mofang turn against everyone... were they just mean person/people, or did something prompt it?
2a) Why were there some Mofang in the frozen pods then?
3) What was that purple stuff inside the dome on Hunrath? (near the edge of the dome near some tracks, behind an unlocked gate, near where some fake/hologram rocks were... looked like a dead/dried-out version of the planet outside the dome).
4) Why did they drain the water from the roots of the tree in the first place? Most I could gather here was they didn't want the tree to mature because they didn't know what would happen. Was that all there was to it?
BeigeAlert

Re: Missed a lot of the story... too focused on the puzzles...

Postby fjhLeger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Think again!
françois
fjhLeger
Obduction Backer

Postby Tahgtahv » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:42 am

To save you some trouble, I think I can answer most of your questions.
1. The best answer seems to be that this was the most protected place during the war.
2. It was the nature of their species to conquer.
2a. There were a few Mofang that didn't feel the same way as most of the species.
3. That area is a quarry, so it was probably some sort of mineral or rock. No idea exactly, but it's unrelated to the purpple of the Mofang world, as far as I can tell.
4. Pretty much. They didn't know what was going to happen, so they prevented it from happening.

This is a summary of course, and you may get more details from reading the material in game. Most of the material is found in Farley's house, but unless you've found the sphere in Kaptar, you can't access the back room. Material is also being transcribed here: https://obduction.gamepedia.com/Obduction_Wiki While not an official Cyan resource nor managed by Cyan, they have been advertising it
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Postby Susa'n » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:32 pm

BeigeAlert wrote:1) Why were they freezing themselves in those pods?
2) Why'd the Mofang turn against everyone... were they just mean person/people, or did something prompt it?
2a) Why were there some Mofang in the frozen pods then?
3) What was that purple stuff inside the dome on Hunrath? (near the edge of the dome near some tracks, behind an unlocked gate, near where some fake/hologram rocks were... looked like a dead/dried-out version of the planet outside the dome).
4) Why did they drain the water from the roots of the tree in the first place? Most I could gather here was they didn't want the tree to mature because they didn't know what would happen. Was that all there was to it?

1) To keep themselves safe during the Mofang battle; listen to Farley's message at the entrance to Maray. The Villein who was crushed near the chambers, and who warned you that unchambered Mayor Josef was a Mofang in disguise, helped to protect the chambered beings (humans, Villein, Arai and Mofang).
2) Some of the Mofang were friendly to the humans. In the tape recording, Farley mentions "Chavar and her family." I think C.W. mentioned Chavar, too. Chavar is one of the Mofang chambered in Maray (you can look up her chamber number in the book).
3) "Hunrath" is the spherical portion of Earth's Arizona mining town (with its 163 humans) that was swapped with Soria (the Mofang's planet). If you climb the ridge in Soria, you'll see you're inside the spherical portion of Soria that was swapped to Earth (the post-destruction Earth you see in the bad ending).
4) My short answer is "I don't know." In C.W.'s workroom is a list of tasks they performed to prepare for the Mofang battle. C.W. asks you to help him reverse all these protective measures so he can power up the Hunrath tree.
Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)
Susa'n

Postby BrettM » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:07 am

The Bleeder kept the Trees from maturing even with the water on, so shutting off the water may have had some other purpose. My guess is that they wanted to keep them unhealthy during the lockdown to prevent them from dropping any new ambassador seeds. I suppose it could have been a belt-and-suspenders precaution to keep the Trees from maturing in case Hunrath was destroyed, which would have destroyed the Bleeder.
*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
BrettM

Postby joaopedro » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 am

Seems to me that draining the water was a way of shutting down the path between the trees during the war. Otherwise if any Mofang escaped the explosion by fleeing into the tree, they might have made into the other spheres infuriated and packing those laser guns!
joaopedro
Obduction Backer

Postby Altairien » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:54 am

joaopedro wrote:Seems to me that draining the water was a way of shutting down the path between the trees during the war.

Seems to me that's the most reasonable and obvious explanation. If you expect an attack, you don't leave the easiest, most direct pathway between the spheres open. You could march an army between spheres down there.

The bleeder doesn't shut down those paths between the roots (hearts). Only draining the water shuts the paths down.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS