Obduction & Nvidia 3D Vision (spoilerish)

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Re: Obduction & Nvidia 3D Vision (spoilerish)

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:36 pm

There is a 3D image file viewer available for viewing stereoscopic 3D JPS files called JPS Viewer. This Viewer supports all H3D/X3D compatible LC shutter glasses, and all anaglyph glasses for real 3D viewing. It allows any image to be viewed in several different 3D viewing modes. It includes the Internet Explorer plug-in, ImageGen, for viewing JPS, H3D, BMS, and PNS 3D files online. It is available as a free download from CNET or Softpedea
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:05 pm

The distortion I'm referring to has absolutely nothing to do with typical geometric distortion, which is present anywhere you have a 3d environment projected onto a flat plane (which is every 3d video game ever created, and I don't mean stereo-3d, I mean "not 2d").

Go look at the laser cart thing in your 3d view. Take a close look at the bars it's constructed from. You should be able to observe a strange distortion effect around them in both eyes.
BeigeAlert

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 pm

I apologize - I did misunderstand...
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby fjhLeger » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:07 pm

I understand your main point, and having looked to your jps photos, you definitely have some strange rendering on your system. Like I earlier stated, I do not feel I have the same issues, but I wanted to help you by finding the possible cause of those issues.
In your first photo, there is a very large difference of lighting between both eyes. This is very strange, I was wondering if this is not coming from something wrong in the depth setting of th video card. This may be derived from your display hardware (as in my case where I cannot change it), the driver, the driver manual override (I do not have access in my setup), the game...
In your cart photo close from the junk yard, I notice that the rails rendering on the bottom left is completely corrupt as well, but this is "under compatibility mode", but I have no ideas what this mode is doing... So I didn't spent too much times on those last two photos.
To dig further, I need to reinstall some old gear on my system, so I can have access to the nvidia driver settings, that's what I wanted to do this WE, but I had some unexpected work to do, so the delay.
françois
fjhLeger
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:I apologize - I did misunderstand...

lol not you, you were fine.

fjhLeger wrote:I understand your main point, and having looked to your jps photos, you definitely have some strange rendering on your system. Like I earlier stated, I do not feel I have the same issues, but I wanted to help you by finding the possible cause of those issues.
In your first photo, there is a very large difference of lighting between both eyes. This is very strange, I was wondering if this is not coming from something wrong in the depth setting of th video card. This may be derived from your display hardware (as in my case where I cannot change it), the driver, the driver manual override (I do not have access in my setup), the game...
In your cart photo close from the junk yard, I notice that the rails rendering on the bottom left is completely corrupt as well, but this is "under compatibility mode", but I have no ideas what this mode is doing... So I didn't spent too much times on those last two photos.
To dig further, I need to reinstall some old gear on my system, so I can have access to the nvidia driver settings, that's what I wanted to do this WE, but I had some unexpected work to do, so the delay.

I suspect you've only ever seen the game in compatibility mode, and simply didn't notice the distortion around objects. It took me a few minutes to pick up on it, but now I can't un-see it! :(
BeigeAlert

Postby fjhLeger » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:13 am

Yep, you were right since a long time, :oops: i was looking to Obduction thru a compatibility more, not the NVidia 3D vision rendering...

About the discrepancies in the 3d images, are you speaking of the strange effect visible at every vertical edge, typically very evident on any high contrast vertical element?

Looking to it just on a container vertical edge in the junkyard (where you can go very close), one can see that the eye closest to the container has a proper rendering of the rest of the image, but the eye the other eye has a strange rendering for the part not visible from the first eye: the part which is the closest from the container edge seems to be rendered correctly, but the part further away seems to be some rendering of the other eye image.

While awaiting for Obduction i purchased another game running under Unreal 4 (Ether One), i went to check the graphic in that game, close from a door opening, and ..., it looks that a similar defect is present in this game also, but in the opposite eye (the closest of the edge has some artefacts rendering just after the edge that should not be present, the other is ok).

Looking at Myst Masterpiece edition, such artefacts do not seems to be present, i needed just to place the glasses backward to have a proper display :lol: !

Could it be that unreal engine misscompute the number of extra pixels needed to generate one eye offset compared to the other by half of the needed width (horizontal pixels to add/remove depending on the computing option)?
françois
fjhLeger
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 pm

The reason for the distortion is because Obduction is still only rendering a single image in the center of the two eyes... but what the nvidia drivers are doing is taking the depth buffer (describes how far away from the camera pixels are), and using it to warp that single image into two images slightly offset from each other, like a stereo pair. The distortion occurs in areas that were not visible to the right or left eye from the center position. What this also means is that certain view-position dependent effects, such as water reflections appear flat, as though the reflection was merely a texture on the surface. You can also observe that particle effects and other semi-transparent things -- which are NOT written into the depth buffer -- are warped according to whatever lies behind them. To see this, find a laser beam, and notice how it isn't straight anymore in each eye -- it's warped along with the background.

Now, I can't imagine these same visual artifacts are present in the VR version. It's really a shame there isn't some compatibility between these APIs. :(
BeigeAlert

Postby fjhLeger » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:09 am

Digging on the web, it looks that even NVidia does not really seems to beleive in 3D Vision. It also looks that, while they was some support on UE3 for 3D Vision, this is not the case yet in UE4. This may however come up, but no real solution at present time.

However, if you happen to have a 3D TV and not the money to invest in a Occulus rift solution, you can play obduction in 3D with a good quality and without artefacts, if you follow the instructions in the entry 8 of this web thread:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/736823/unreal-engine-4-amp-3d-vision/?offset=6

in windows 10, the GameUserSettings.ini file referenced in the thread is located in:
C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Obduction\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

As stated, there is no adjustment possible for the depth parameter which is quite high, but i was able to really play at 1920x1080 in 3d with the resolution at 150 on a system on the low side (I5-2500k, GTX970, 16GB ram, SSD).

Just a warning, do not try this with a 3D TV larger than 23"...
françois
fjhLeger
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS