Total Surprise

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Re: Total Surprise

Postby Altairien » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:28 am

It's not within your power
[Reveal] Spoiler:
to help the Villein directly. If all you did was try to help him directly, you'd be condemning him to death.

1) You don't have the strength to free him. 2) You don't have the tools to free him. Even if you could somehow manage to free him, 3) you don't have the medical knowledge to even begin to understand his physiology and treat his injuries. Meanwhile the WMD sits there. Perhaps on a timer. Perhaps not. We don't know for certain.

He needs the assistance of his kind to survive and they're all in the pods. The sequence to bring them out of the pods cannot be started while the WMD is active. That's on you. He gives you exactly the information you need to understand the situation. He is asking for your help... in destroying the WMD, not in trying to free him directly.

What he's saying is being relayed to you by the screens. He's vocally commanding them as explicitly talked about in one of the game documents (see Species Description). He has passed on his responsibility to destroy the WMD, protecting himself and everyone else, to you.

When coming upon a car accident and discovering the driver, suffering from internal injuries, is pinned in the seat by the twisted metal of the car, would you futilely attempt to free that driver even though you know it's impossible? Or would you instead contact emergency services who would respond with the jaws of life to free the driver, medical personnel to treat the injuries, and the means to transport the driver to a hospital?

I think the answer should be obvious. As soon as you destroy the WMD, he vocally commands the process of bringing everyone out of the pods giving him the best chance of surviving. And you certainly don't understand the first thing about how to bring them out of the pods. (Oh, and he also closes the door so you can't return to him thus removing the option of having you stand around doing absolutely nothing for the remainder of the game.)

I would've only added one thing to this entire sequence. If, after leaving Maray, the player decided to return via the tree to check on the pinned Villein, I would've added another Villein next to him providing him assistance. It seems reasonable that the very first pod occupant the pinned Villein would revive would be the one most capable of helping him survive. I'd have this revived Villein holding some sort of scanner, checking on and treating the pinned Villein's injuries. It would've been a nice touch, but that takes additional dev time and Cyan barely got out what they got out.
Last edited by Altairien on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Mystdee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:14 am

I believe:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
he was telling us to save the others what he was "saying" was projected on the screens, (that is how he comunicates) 222 the code to open the gate and destroy the bomb, allowing the others in the pods to be free. he knew exactly what he was doing and we followed his lead
Last edited by Mystdee on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystdee
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:21 am

Alternate theory: 222 is not the key to opening the gate. He could have opened the gate at any time. But he didn't want to let you through until you had seen Josef in the pod, so that you would be absolutely sure not to mistake the Mofang impersonator for the real person. So he told the screen to signal 222 and kept it that way until you visited the pod, and then he opened the gate for you to disarm the duodec bomb.

I'm not sure why he thought it was so important to uncover the deception. Maybe he thought the Mofang was still alive and could have given you bad instructions? Or he didn't want you to believe that there was a Human/Villein war in progress.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Altairien » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:52 am

He very likely knew
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the Mofang in the guise of Josef had been communicating with us via the screens, but couldn't know or at least fully understand what was communicated to us. Again, I refer to the Species Description document: "rudimentary communication" was about all that had been accomplished between species and we don't even know if the pinned Villein was one that was working on communicating. He could simply be a grunt that was tasked with guarding against the attack. Regardless, he couldn't have understood our language well enough to know what the Mofang had asked us to do. For all the Villein knew, the Mofang had told us we had to "go pick up the floating device to save everyone", which of course would've set it off. He simply wanted to make sure we knew about the deception. That was prerequisite to actually disabling it.

On a side note, I'm pretty hard core when it comes to avoiding revealing spoilers in inappropriate locations, but if someone has made it this far in this thread located in the Hints, Tips & (now also) Spoilers forum, is it really necessary? This wasn't like someone was seeking a slight nudge or something. However, I'll lemming and put my stuff in spoiler tags as well.
Altairien
Obduction Backer

Postby Baladria » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Floydman wrote:For the first time in a Cyan game I've played,

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I saw a toilet.

Ha! I was probably more excited to see this than I should have been :lol:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
As for Trar, I too was upset and would have liked to see him lying in a hospital somewhere and smiling hahaha! I was startled completely by the first dead creature I found (yikes-o-rama!). And at first, seeing Trar at a distance I thought he was a pile of vines. I shrieked when I saw it was a huge creepy dying creature. Nice guy, though.
MOULa KI: 00212408 (feel free to add me)
Read my ramblings: http://baladriaonmyst.blogspot.com/
Baladria
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS