The Doors

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

The Doors

Postby MystBodger » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:15 am

No, not the old-time rock group. In Kaptar we have the stone sphere puzzle and...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that includes two doors. I've run through the game successfully eighteen times now (OCD?) and have been seen two doors. One door I've dutifully unlocked and opened and looked to see where it leads but have found absolutely no utility in it -- I've solved the age/world/whatever without it. The other door I've never found a way to open. Is there a way to open it? Does it server any purpose other than to confuse?
MystBodger
Obduction Backer

Re: The Doors

Postby Christian Walther » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Hmm, good point. Now that you mention it, there could indeed be a way to complete the game without ever opening either door. I haven’t tried it (good challenge for my next playthrough) but have no reason to doubt you. It is possible to open both though. It makes getting around the place much easier, and it would never even have occurred to me that it might not be necessary.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I don’t remember the exact sequence, but it simply involves swapping the stone and wooden sphere back and forth a couple of times in the correct orientations. You should be able to work it out.

Assuming that the door you consider unopenable is the one toward the Arai Polyarch chamber, you might just be missing
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that there are two paths from the Polyarch chamber to the sphere.

If you have both doors closed, the only way I can see of getting from the tree and Polyarch chamber to the rest of the world and back requires swapping the sphere (either one Edit: the wooden one, cause there’s no swapper device in the stone one) to Hunrath to rotate it every time, is that right? I guess you only absolutely need to do that once (to get to the tree for the first time), but it would have made my restless re-exploration of the worlds much more complicated…
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeah, the doors are really only there to make exploration easier. I seem to remember having problems opening one of them myself, although I eventually figured it out.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby MystBodger » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Two, huh? I guess that I must have walked right past one of them dozens of times. The next time I'm back I'll make a really methodical search and see what I can turn up. Thanks.

A bit later...

OK. Found it by restoring the last completed game and backtracking. No excuses -- I walked past that point scores of times and just never noticed the hint that the designers left for us. I will say that finishing that part of the game is perfectly doable without either door. In fact, I've gotten so used to doing it the way I have been that having the doors open would probably just confuse me at this point but I'll give it a try on game 20. Thanks again.
MystBodger
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:09 am

Thinking about it more generally, maybe your discovery isn’t as remarkable as it seemed to me at first. The “door that only opens from the other side” and requires you to take the long way around once to open it from the back side, after which you can pass through easily from either side, seems to be a very common puzzle in Myst-like games, in various literal or metaphorical incarnations. In many of these cases, there may be nothing that stops you from never opening the door and always taking the long way around, it’s simply less convenient. Example.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby MystBodger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 am

FWIW: I went back in a saved game and did the steps necessary to get to the 'correct' method, assuming that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
having the stone sphere back in place in Kaptar and the doors unlatched and have come to the conclusion that my method is quicker assuming that one knows how to get to the tree in the first place. Six clicks of the button and walk right in. For the first play through where one is exploring and to see the original intent of the artists then moving the sphere is probably worth the effort.
Just my opinion of course.
MystBodger
Obduction Backer

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS