Villein Bridge Extension Code

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Villein Bridge Extension Code

Postby wstrohm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:11 am

I never found a clue to the bridge extension control panel codes, so it was all trial and error for me. Not hard, but getting the bridges "complete" with all those "ears" on the edges was time-consuming. Once I had it, I went back to the garage's "cash register" and found that the "totally correct" pattern was 955. Did I miss something, or did Cyan just leave it to the player to stumble through the process?

[Edit: Wrong, the best code is 1023!]
Last edited by wstrohm on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Re: Villein Bridge Extension Code

Postby Anna Catherine » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 am

I figured it out by trial and error. I'm not aware of any other way to do so. I didn't bother trying to make perfect bridges; I was satisfied if I could walk across it.
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 am

if you watch Sven Groot (Dilandau3000) 's recent Obduction Let's Plays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duftKUvJieE&index=1&list=PLjjNZRzFam-rrGZU-Pe71DIO7BXJnNs0I, he explains very clearly how the number system works and applies that knowledge to the bridges. I can't say that I did it that way, but it's good to see how it *should* be done :lol:

(The link is to the first in the series, I recommend them!)
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Yeah, this and the maze are probably the two pieces that trips everyone up.

For the bridges, you have to notice a few things and make the right connections to understand how they are supposed to work (namely that there are 5 digits on the panel, and there are 5 bridge sections). Combine that knowledge with how the doors work (only one digit), and things should be clear.

Missed it myself, unfortunately, but the clues are there.

The crazy thing is, with that autocorrect system in place, a large number of random guesses actually end up working, without understanding a thing about the Villein number system, or the bridges.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Yep, I was wrong, the best code is 1023. I still don't understand the logic of it, though. Nor have I ever understood how to translate the base 4 number system into the Villein control panel. Yes, for the small numbers I could see how they worked, but then going to larger ones, it just became nonsense (to me).

Thanks for the link to the video walkthrough!
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:29 pm

Crash course on base 4 math, here we go! I hope it makes sense.

First, we'll look at how we write values in base 10, our normal number system. Say we want to write the value twenty-three:
Since the number is greater than ten, in the base ten system, we'll need more digits. In this case 2 digits.
For the tens digit, value is equal to 10 times the value of the number. In this case, we put 2. So 2x10=20.
Then the ones digit is 1 times the value of the number. In this case, we put three, so the value of the ones digit is 1x3=3.
For any number the number you multiply by to get the value is 10^n, where n is the number of the digit minus one.
So for the 100s digit (or the third digit), value would get times 10^(3-1) = 10^2 = 100.

We then add the values of the digits together to get 23.

A base 4 system works the same way. Let's work with the same number. Note that there are only 4 values that can be in each digit (that's the meaning of base 4). For this, we'll use 0,1,2,3.
Because we have a base 4 system, the former tens digit is the fours digit (or whatever you want to call it, although I'm sure there is a proper name).
However, since we can only get to 15 with 2 digits we need another one.
So, starting with the third digit. Using the same rule as above the value will be multiplied by 4^(3-1) = 4^2 = 16. So maybe this can be the sixteens digit.
We only need one value on this digit, because 2*16 is too high. So the first digit is 1.
The next digit will be multiplied by 4, because 4^(2-1) = 4^1 = 4. Putting a one in this digit will bring us to overall value of twenty, so that's all we need.
Number is now 11?.
We need three more to equal our goal. Fortunately, the final digit is multiplied but 1, because 4^(1-1) = 4^0 = 1. So we can just put a 3 there and we're good to go.
So in the end, twenty-three written in base 4 looks like this: 113. Because that's (1x16)+(1x4)+(3x1)=16+4+3=23.

I hope that made sense, although I'm sure there's plenty of resources out there to help with that.

Now the panels work exactly like that. Each digit is represented in a different area of the panel, with a maximum of five digits. First digit it right in the center. If you use the number simulator in the garage, you can see each value for the ones digit: 0,1,2, and 3. Zeros are blank. Ones look like this: \ Twos look like < and threes look like y (sort of). For the first (or ones digit) everything is centered on the center dot. To get the next digit (the fours digit), you just move the whole thing up one dot. So the same three shapes give you the same values for the digit. Then we just more clockwise around the panel. The sixteens digit in reached by moving to the right. The sixty-fours digit by moving down, and the final digit (the two-hundred-fifty-sixs digit?) is reached by moving left from the center dot.

So the bridges each have five parts to them, each with 4 settings. Each part is controlled by a digit. The first digit controller the first part, the second digit controls the second part, ect. The 4 settings are 0 (off), 1 (framework only), 2 (blue solid surface), and 3 (fully formed). A setting of 2 or 3 works perfectly. So to form a bridge, you only need to write a two or three in each digit. A fully formed bridge would have the value of 33333, or 1023 in base 10.

....I hope I didn't just confuse you more.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks, Magic,

Agree with everything you wrote down to the next-to-last paragraph. I am aware that number systems to any base can be constructed in a tabular form, where the LSD is the digit x (base)^0, next more SD is digit x (base)^1, then digit x (base)^2, etc, etc. So base 4 is not confusing to me. But the Villein panel is just crazy. The center is the LSD position? Why? The next more SD is accessed by moving UP? Why? Then more SDs are moved clockwise? Why? That is totally nuts, counter-intuitive, and completely confusing to me. Plus, I cannot look at the panel and come up with anything useful, sorry! The best I can see is that the symbol for "3" just gets repeated in some weird mad fashion all over the panel. I don't do counter-intuitive well at all. But I do thank you for the time and effort you put into your post; it did help (some)!
---- Bill
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Magic88889 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:47 am

Try going to the simulator, and type in the following numbers.

These will put a "3" in one digit at a time, moving up through each digit. See if you can see the pattern. It will start in the middle, move up, then right, down, then left.

As for why it works this way? I don't really have an answer for you, but how else would you arrange it?
Also remember that the Villein use sound to activate devices, these panels were only created for other species to work Villein technology.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Postby Talashar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 am

wstrohm wrote: But the Villein panel is just crazy. The center is the LSD position? Why? The next more SD is accessed by moving UP? Why? Then more SDs are moved clockwise? Why? That is totally nuts, counter-intuitive, and completely confusing to me.

It might help to think of the digits as moving in a spiral pattern, rather than the straight line that we're used to.
Talashar Geltahn; Ki 183867
An overview of D'ni grammar
My fiction
Talashar
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:34 am

It sort of makes sense that the single digit panel is just the centre part of the five digit panel. And rather than trying to find a reason for it being the way it is, I just accepted where the digits were. Maybe subconsciously I acknowledged the spiral notion that Talashar suggests - I was certainly happy to see the digits progress clockwise. However, whenever you've got something laid out like the five on a die, it's possible to find a "pattern" that describes any sequence of movement between dots.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS