Maray vs. Villein

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Maray vs. Villein

Postby Anna Catherine » Tue May 24, 2016 2:24 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but is Maray the same world that was originally called Villein, or is it a different place? The descriptions are so similar that I'm assuming Villein was simply renamed and Maray is what they're currently calling it, but I just wanted to make sure I have that right. Thanks! :)
Anna Catherine
Obduction Backer

Re: Maray vs. Villein

Postby Bryan B » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:03 am

I am following this question with great interest! I have no idea what any of the other worlds are actually called. I should go back and read through the notes I have found again.
Bryan B
Obduction Backer

Postby Mystdee » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 am

Villein, Arai and Mofang are the names of the different Species
the worlds are
Hunrath-the desert rocks that you go to first
Kaptar- the Rocky world with all the machinery and chains
Maray- the jungle/swampy world
Soria- the red rocky world with the glowing crystals
Mystdee
Obduction Backer

Postby Bryan B » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Mystdee wrote:Villein, Arai and Mofang are the names of the different Species
the worlds are
Hunrath-the desert rocks that you go to first
Kaptar- the Rocky world with all the machinery and chains
Maray- the jungle/swampy world
Soria- the red rocky world with the glowing crystals

Thank You Mystdee!

Also: I have only seena glimpse or 2 of Maray (that is tonight's adventure). I haven't even seen Soria yet, I love this game!
Bryan B
Obduction Backer

Postby Hannah » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Moved this topic to the HINTS & TIPS subforum since there are spoilers mentioned.
Hannah
Hannah
Site Admin

Postby Tahgtahv » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:16 am

As Mystdee didn't explicitly link them:
Hunrath (Earth) - Human
Kaptar - Arai
Maray - Villein
Soria - Mofang

So yes, you've basically got it right in that Maray and Villein refer to more or less the same things.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Postby BeigeAlert » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:22 pm

So here's a question: what do those place names correspond to? Is it A) the name of the planet you're on (but stuck inside a sphere from another planet), or B) the name of the planet the sphere you're on was taken from? If B, then why "Hunrath" and not "Earth"?
BeigeAlert

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Hunrath JUST MIGHT refer to a 1953 disappearance of two famous UFO Investigators.

The Story goes

"On the morning of November 10, 1953, a pair of UFO investigators, Karl Hunrath – a radio-technician with a hair-trigger temper and a hatred of women – and Wilbur J. Wilkinson – a plant foreman and a subservient Igor to Hunrath’s Dr. Frankenstein – took to the clear, sunny skies in a small plane rented from Gardina County Airport, California, USA.

The purpose of their flight was to rendezvous at a remote stretch of Golden State desert with fantastically advanced beings from another world that the two had contacted via psychic means and by what were oddly described as “mechanical contractions.” The pair was not seen nor heard of again. And neither was the aircraft. No skeletal, ragged remains turned up. No tell-tale wreckage was found. Ever.

Hunrath and Wilkinson were – for all intents and purposes – gone, vanished. In the immediate aftermath of their disappearance there were whispers within the UFO research community of the day that they were really gone. Like up there gone.

Was it really true? Were Hunrath and Wilkinson kidnapped by hostile, or maybe even friendly, aliens? Might they have been invited to take a one-way trip to another, far-away world by benevolent “Space-Brothers,” as some of their friends and families suspected? Others speculated that the whole affair could be explained away as a mere, tragic accident and nothing else whatsoever.

Indeed, several people offered that nothing stranger than engine-trouble had probably led to terrible disaster and death on the massive, rugged mountains of southern California. Some, however, weren’t quite so sure that the baffling disappearance of Hunrath and Wilkinson was just due to careless pilot-error or mechanical malfunction. But those same souls weren’t looking to E.T. for the answers either.

Why were special-agents of J. Edgar Hoover’s much-feared FBI hot on the trail of the pair in the weeks and months before their disappearance? What of Hunrath’s boast that he had developed a science-fiction-like machine that could disable military aircraft while in the air and bring them fatally crashing to the ground? What did the U.S. Air Force think of that?

What was the nature of the curious relationship that Hunrath had with famed “Contactee” George Adamski, who, behind closed doors, was secretly informing the FBI on Hunrath’s every activity? And what was the real nature of the link between Hunrath and Wilkinson and the mysterious disappearance of an Air Force F-89C Scorpion aircraft and its crew over Lake Superior, two-weeks after the ufological duo made their own definitive vanishing act?"
Wamduskasapa
Obduction Backer

Postby BrettM » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Neither A nor B, really. It's a little more nuanced than that.

The humans in Hunrath invented their own names for each of the alien species and cells, and each is apparently a word in some human language. ("Mofang", for example, is a Chinese word meaning "to imitate".) "Hunrath" was named after the second mayor (for unknown reasons) and is the name of the cell, not of the planet on which it is located. The human cell is actually located on the world from which the Mofang's cell was taken and Soria is located on Earth, because the mother seeds swapped the two cells between planets just as the ambassador seeds swap chunks between cells. (Likewise, Kaptar and Maray were swapped to each other's origin planet.)

For all practical purposes, the names given to the alien cells can also be used to refer to their origin planets, since the humans don't seem to have made a distinction there as they did for "Hunrath" vs. "Earth". It would be reasonable to say that the Soria cell came from planet Soria and that Hunrath is on Soria.
*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
BrettM

Postby Tahgtahv » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:28 am

Yep, pretty much. The humans in the town of Hunrath couldn't ever escape the spheres, so what the entire worlds were called was pretty much irrelevant. This goes for most of the fan documentation that is popping up as well. While the term world may be used, it is nearly always meant to refer to a particular sphere, and not the containing world.
Tahgtahv
Obduction Backer

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS