Install to SD Card? If possible, might it help?

For installation issues, problems running the game, game improvement suggestions, etc.

Install to SD Card? If possible, might it help?

Postby wilsoncpu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:23 pm

I have an older MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), but it haves a 2.6Ghz Intel, 8GB memory.
Obduction runs on my system, but it takes several minutes to eventually load.
Once it starts, it runs OK, with a few hiccups.

I have a 512GB SD Card (95MB/sec) available.
1) Is it possible to install Obduction to the SD card rather than the HD?
2) If so, how much space would I need free on the card before beginning?
3) And also if so, would this improved game start-up and in-game performance?

Thanks!
wilsoncpu

Re: Install to SD Card? If possible, might it help?

Postby Magic88889 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

The information I could find on that system tell me it came with and SSD, so no, an SD flash drive will not increase your performance. It will actually severely limit it. According to some benchmarking info, that drive's read speeds were about 440mb/s. Compare that to your 95 mb/s SD card and you see what I mean.
In fact, if you look at it, just a regular HDD would be faster than an SD card.

It might be possible to get a faster SSD for you system. However, there's no guarantee that drive speed is your bottleneck. Even if it is, that doesn't mean that the speed increase will be significant enough to make a noticeable difference.

Now, if you still wanted to install it to an SD card just laughs, I don't see why it sholdn't be possible. Provided the Mac OS presents the SD card as a regular storage drive (I believe it does), the all you have to do is select it as your install directory when you install the game.
Magic88889
Obduction Backer

Return to Technical Discussion