Tweaking the graphics of the #Myst25 updated series

Tweaking the graphics of the #Myst25 updated series

Postby korovev » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 am

With Myst 1–3 now officially powered by ScummVM/ResidualVM, there are now more options to improve the graphics. Here’s a recap of the tweaks I’m aware of, post here if you know other tricks!
Under ScummVM and ResidualVM, you can take screenshots with ctrl-s (they will be saved in Pictures\ScummVM Screenshots).

Myst ME & Riven

As both use ScummVM, the options are similar. To access the Launcher, type ctrl-F5, then:
  • Under Options...->Graphics, a nice one is Filter graphics, which smoothes the pixels (this can also be activated in-game with ctrl-alt-f ). You could also set the Graphics modes to OpenGL; for reasons, the other modes only work when used in Edit Game... (see below). If you, like me, prefer windowed mode, you can set it here. I suggest not changing anything in the Paths tab ;)
  • Under Edit Game...->Engine, you can choose to see the Myst flyby movie or not. Under Graphics, if you select Override global graphic settings, you can experiment with graphic filters. For games with resolutions >320×240, setting the filters here is required. For Riven, this means editing the game for the specific language you prefer.

Exile

Quite similar to Myst & Riven, as the ResidualVM launcher is modelled after the ScummVM one. To access the Launcher, type ctrl-F5, then:
  • Under Options...->Graphics, a nice one is Game renderer, specifically OpenGL (with or without shaders). If you prefer windowed mode, you can set it here. Audio has a setting for subtitles, but it seems it’s overrided by Exile’s own settings. Again, I suggest not changing anything in the Path tab.
  • Under Edit Game...->Engine, you can try the Widescreen mod, which extends the scene to the whole screen (the inventory is accessible by moving the cursor to the bottom of the screen). Under Graphics, you can select Override global graphic settings, but in Exile case it should be the same as using the settings in Options....

Revelation

You can play in windowed mode by creating a game.dsc file and putting it in the bin folder.

End of Ages / Uru: CC / RealMyst ME

Options for graphics and windowed mode are in the game settings, so I have no special tricks here :lol:
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Return to Myst for Windows/Mac