Gaming Laptop to play all CYAN games

Gaming Laptop to play all CYAN games

Postby KeemoGehrah » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm getting the Cyan Complete Pack from Steam (Myst Masterpiece, MystV, realMyst, Riven, Uru). And I'm buying a gaming laptop JUST for this purpose! I'd like to also play Uru Live.

I'm a Mac user, not super techie, so can anyone advise: will the games work on a ASUS A53SD-TS71? It's about $1000 yikes!

Can I get away with something cheaper but with good performance? Or do I have to cough up a grand? :shock:

ASUS A53SD-TS71 specs:
Intel i7-2670QM 2.20GHz Quad-Core
4GB DDR3
750GB
15.6" HD 1366 x 768
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M GPU with 2GB of VRAM
802.11b/g/n Wireless
5-in-1 Media Card Reader
KeemoGehrah
Obduction Backer

Re: Gaming Laptop to play all CYAN games

Postby Tomala » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:55 pm

Processor is overkill (which is good if you ever decide to use the laptop for anything else), but the NVidia 610m is one dog of a processor. I have an Asus G74 with a NVidia 560m (3 GB video card). The 560m has a pipeline of 60 for bandwidth on the 3 GB model, whereas the 610m's bandwidth is just 14.4 (much slower). Mine cost $930 total for a better performing card, which is about the cost of the laptop you're currently looking at with the 610m. I take it to lunch everyday! I can even play graphically intense games for about 45 minutes on battery. :D Great for if people are charging their devices and hogging the power outlets.

Here's my laptop if you want an example: http://promos.asus.com/us/g74/index.htm

So final conclusion: The laptop you were looking at has a nice processor, nice amount of RAM, but the GPU sucks (there were better ones being released back in 2004 to give you an idea). So if you're looking at getting a nice gaming laptop at least go with the ROG series (especially if you plan on getting Obduction. It should handle Unreal Engine 4 nicely!). Or, if you're only planning to play those Cyan games in particular, you can get an older laptop and save money since the old Cyan games aren't exactly demanding. Perhaps something with a Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz in it at the bare minimum. Or if you want to stay in the i7 bracket go with a dual core i7.
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby KeemoGehrah » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 pm

It seems all the old Myst games work on Window 7 or under and need a DirectX 9.0c compliant video card.

How can you find out if a video card is DirectX 9.0c compliant??

Specs for CYAN Myst games and Uru Live:
Windows 7 (or XP, Vista)
800MHz PentiumIII or AMD Athlon or better Processor
512MB of Memory, 1GB + for URU Myst Online
Video Card: 32 MB RAM, DirectX9.0 -compliant video card and
DirectX 9.0c compliant audio card

For sure I will be playing Obduction as soon as it's out! Just hoping to buy ONE laptop that can do that and the above. Anyone doing that??
KeemoGehrah
Obduction Backer

Postby Tomala » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:52 pm

It seems all the old Myst games work on Window 7 or under and need a DirectX 9.0c compliant video card.

How can you find out if a video card is DirectX 9.0c compliant??

Most cards out there these days are Direct X11 compliant. Meaning they will support everything from Direct X 11 and below. If you're unsure while browsing for Video Cards you can google the name of the card, and Direct X. Or if you have the card already at your disposal you can open Start> Run and type dxdiag, it will tell you what you need under the video tab.

For sure I will be playing Obduction as soon as it's out! Just hoping to buy ONE laptop that can do that and the above. Anyone doing that??

The laptop I have will be more than ready for it when Obduction comes out. :D
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Return to Myst for Windows/Mac