Original Myst Problems

Original Myst Problems

Postby T-Squared » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:53 pm

While everyone is fawning over the new realMYST Masterpiece Edition, I just found my old copy of the original Myst.

Except... I can't play it on my 1995 Pentium gaming laptop. (which runs Windows 95) I don't know what the problem is, except that it had done this before when I used to play it as a youngling. :P

The only errors I get are:

• "Your program is making an illegal dynamic link call to a DLL file.", which messes up the colors of the menu bar and the rest of the Windows 95 system environment. (They turn black, unless I hover over them.)
  • "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down", with the "QTCVID.qtc" file being involved.

I've been able to get Myst to work on laptop computers before, and modern machines, without trouble. (No errors whatsoever.) It puzzles me that it didn't work on this one...

Is there anyone who can help me with this dilemma?
...then it crapped the bed and stackdumped.

The Time-Traveling Stranger.
T-Squared

Re: Original Myst Problems

Postby T-Squared » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Never mind! Found it! 8D

Myst does NOT like the Quicktime files that shipped with it. (There's something wrong with them!) After deleting the *.QTC files, according to an old Newsgroup post, Myst ran perfectly with the Quicktime files provided by Windows 95!
...then it crapped the bed and stackdumped.

The Time-Traveling Stranger.
T-Squared

Re: Original Myst Problems

Postby Bryan B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:32 am

I found a copy of the original Myst at a thrift store, I lost the one I bought when it was first released. I was surprised that it worked with only a graphics card tweak (lowered the quality a bit and it ran). I have Windows XP sp3. I then played the Steam versions and enjoyed the graphics upgrades and extra content!
Bryan B
Obduction Backer

Return to Myst for Windows/Mac