Installability of the games under Windows 8/10 and MacOS

Installability of the games under Windows 8/10 and MacOS

Postby korovev » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:22 am

Most of the following tweaks will be irrelevant with the #Myst25 updated games, but are valid if you’re still using the old versions.

Here is a small recap of the current situation of the games under Windows 8 and 10, with links to the respective forum posts, and to MacOS issues when possible. I’m posting here as there is no general Technical Discussion section (and it would be bad form to repost this everywhere, I guess). There are a bunch of helpful patchers here, but they’re all in french :lol: . I have a copy of most of these patches in my MediaFire archive.

Myst

Copy QuickTime.qts from the 4.1 CD into the Myst folder. Run in Windows 95/ME compatibility, disable Visual Themes and run as Administrator.

OR use the GOG or Steam version, which should be patched for recent Windows versions.

OR (also for MacOS) use ScummVM (since version 1.9.0, the Windows version of Myst and Myst ME are supported by the stable build), by copying the required files in a folder of your choice. Further discussion here.

realMyst (non-ME edition)

Should install fine (most if not all of the Cyan forum posts are actually related to the ME edition). This patcher (direct link) might help with the original CD version.

The MacOS version is not universal binary, so with the end of Rosetta support in the latest versions of MacOS, it will not run. With older versions you could try this patcher (direct link).

OR use the GOG or Steam version, which should be patched for recent Windows versions.

Riven

Copy QuickTime.qts (e.g. from heredirect link) into the Riven folder. Run in Windows 98/ME compatibility, disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, disable display scaling on high DPI settings and run as Administrator.

OR (also for MacOS) use ScummVM (since version 2.0, Riven is supported by the stable build), by copying the required files in a folder of your choice. Further discussion here.

WIth the MacOS version, you could try RivenX (direct link).

Myst III: Exile

Should install fine. Here is a list of updaters. You might need to install the no-CD patch.

For MacOS, there are updated installers here.

OR you could try ResidualVM. With the daily build you might need to move some files in the data folder. With High Sierra you might need the 32 bits build.

Myst IV: Revelation

Should install fine. You might need to set the Compatibility Mode to Windows 98/ME, and maybe install the no-DVD patch.
Updaters are available here, thanks to the Wayback Machine.

For MacOS, there is an updated installer here.

Myst V: End of Ages

Here (direct link) is a patcher.

For MacOS, there is an updated installer here (direct link). As noted here, Myst V is not universal binary, so with the end of Rosetta support in the latest versions of macOS, it will not run.

Alternatively, you could try these wrappers (here’s mine – direct link),

Uru: The Complete Chronicles (offline)

Should install fine, but check these tips from the GoW.
Under Windows 10, if it is not working try disabling Full Scene Anti-Aliasing.
The 1.2 patch is still available (direct link) from the Ubisoft archive.
A copy of the official no-DVD patch is still available (direct link) thanks to the Wayback Machine.

For MacOS, a wrapper (mine is heredirect link) is likely your best option.
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Return to Myst for Windows/Mac