Technical difficulties

Technical difficulties

Postby thewhovian42 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:16 pm

I own the five-disc edition of Riven and have tried to install it. No success. Any help?
thewhovian42
Obduction Backer

Re: Technical difficulties

Postby dgelessus » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:09 am

What OS are you running? From my experience it only works right away on Windows 2000/ME, and some appear to have gotten it working under XP. Running it on Vista or newer is pretty much impossible. DOSBox might also work, never tried it though.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Tomala » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:50 am

dgelessus wrote:What OS are you running? From my experience it only works right away on Windows 2000/ME, and some appear to have gotten it working under XP. Running it on Vista or newer is pretty much impossible. DOSBox might also work, never tried it though.

I don't think Riven will work in DOSBox as that's specifically for DOS games, not Windows. Depending on the operating system you could try running it in Compatibility mode (if you have vista or newer).
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby thewhovian42 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:34 am

Windows 7
thewhovian42
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 am

64-bit or 32-bit. I've heard of people having problems getting the game to run on Windows 7. I don't know if there is a work around. I haven't tried this myself, since I wanted to try it on my 90s Mac.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Thestranger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 am

Never got the 5 disc or DVD version to work properly on anything later than Win XP (and even then with some difficulty), downloaded the GOG version in the end (for a mere few dollars) and it runs ok on Vista Business Edition (32bit) with a couple of crashes once in a while but runs flawlessly on Win 7 64 bit.

Might be worth investing in the GOG version if only to save yourself the grief.
Thestranger

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of buying a copy of the Riven DVD-ROM. I'll have to keep in mind that it will only run on my old computer.(which runs Windows 98SE).
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby AlanD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:29 am

Better late than never, I hope.

The problem with Riven is the installer. The game runs fine, but the installer simply refuses to do anything. IIRC it is 16-bit.

Two options for getting Riven to work on Windows 7 or later.

1) use VMWare player to run an XP virtual machine. Requires that you have a copy of Windows XP to install.

2) Install on an XP platform then copy the whole Riven game folder to your Windows 7 machine. Make a shortcut on your desktop or in the start menu to make startup easier. Runs just fine, with one extra step - as soon as the program starts (i.e. while Atrus is talking to you) alt-tab out, run task manager and set the affinity for the riven.exe process to just one cpu. If you don't the game will freeze.

The CD version of Riven needs the following quicktime files in order to work. To avoid problems with multiple Quicktime version installations (if for instance you also have Myst installed on your Win 7 PC like I do) then copy

CMGR32.DLL
DHIO32.QTC
QTIM32.DLL

to the Windows/System32 directory. You can get these from the XP machine you performed the original Riven install on, from the Quicktime 2 directory.

There are instructions around the web to tell you how to install all the content from the CD's onto hard disk so that you don't have to keep swapping disks all the time, and I believe it was the last official patch that removed the need to have the game CD in the drive all the time, which also helps. I am running Riven that way on my Windows 7 Home Premium machine :)

Alternatively, spend a few dollars and get the GOG version, which is already fixed.
Last edited by AlanD on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI numbers:
11981 AlanD
12305 AlanDJ
AlanD
Obduction Backer

Postby thewhovian42 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:18 am

Thanks for the help!
thewhovian42
Obduction Backer

Postby derricktudor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:02 am

I gave up trying to play Riven on PC. I bought the PlayStation version and it works fine, if you don't mind changing discs every time you go to a different area.
KingRichard
KI #19228221
derricktudor

Return to Riven (PC)