Riven on Steam, Can't Save

Riven on Steam, Can't Save

Postby CosmicAvenger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Just bought Riven on Steam, and it will not save. I have searched their forums and there doesn't seem to be any answers there, so here I am.
When I try to save using the alt menu it doesn't seem to be working for some reason. It brings up the window and shows the *rvn file to be saved, but when I click the "save" button, nothing happens, it just sits there. It's the same if I use 'save as' also. So, when I enter back into the game and try to open the save file, obviously there is nothing there. Same when trying to load from the menu screen, but I didn't expect that to work anyway since it was clear it never saved in the first place. Is there a fix for this? Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there another way to save besides using the alt menu?
CosmicAvenger

Re: Riven on Steam, Can't Save

Postby JWPlatt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:48 pm

It might be helpful to post your operating system, whether it's 32- or 64-bit, any special configurations such as compatibility mode, and the full path, including drive letter, to the Riven save games.

A quick test might be to try to right-click in that save game folder and choose to create a new Notepad file, or something similar, to see if folder permissions are a factor.
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby Thestranger » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:31 am

CosmicAvenger wrote:Just bought Riven on Steam, and it will not save. I have searched their forums and there doesn't seem to be any answers there, so here I am.
When I try to save using the alt menu it doesn't seem to be working for some reason. It brings up the window and shows the *rvn file to be saved, but when I click the "save" button, nothing happens, it just sits there. It's the same if I use 'save as' also. So, when I enter back into the game and try to open the save file, obviously there is nothing there. Same when trying to load from the menu screen, but I didn't expect that to work anyway since it was clear it never saved in the first place. Is there a fix for this? Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there another way to save besides using the alt menu?

Have a look at this guys walkthrough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtAbS7xossU(episode 1, his name is Artist Caleb), if you want to skip to 5 minutes 50 seconds on the timeline he talks you through the issues with the Steam version, have a pen and paper handy, the whole clip is just under 10 minutes long and is quite amusing but the info at the end is very helpful, hopefully it will help you with this problem.

Kind regards
Thestranger

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Sound to me like that save fix should work for you.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby CosmicAvenger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Ah yes, sorry for lack of information. I have Windows 7 64-bit, save files going to this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Riven\Data

What is the save fix that was mentioned? Where can I pick that up?

Also, here is a funny story. I just found my copy of the Myst 10th Anniversary collection that I totally forgot I had. I reckon I'll keep trying to work with this Steam version though, as trying to install these discs seem to be a bit problematic, I'm guessing because they are so old? I also have a dual monitor set-up, and can't get them to run on the TV, but they work fine on the smaller monitor. Although the Steam version of Riven works on the TV, so I thought I'd stick with it for that reason. (I haven't tried running the Riven disc yet, though I assumed I would get the same results as I did with the discs of Myst III and IV, monitor only)

Thanks for all the responses.
CosmicAvenger

Postby JWPlatt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:57 pm

CosmicAvenger wrote:What is the save fix that was mentioned? Where can I pick that up?

Thestranger provided a link to a YouTube video in his post, two above yours.

Did you try creating and saving a simple text file to the Data folder?
JWPlatt
Creative Kingdoms

Postby CosmicAvenger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Ok! I checked out that video and it worked!

I tried creating the text file before, but the video informed me that i had to name it .rvn. So I did that, placed it in the data folder, and saving works brilliantly now. I can't load the game from the menu screen, but it's works fine opening it from the Alt menu. I did not have to install Quicktime or run in compatibility mode.

Thank you all for the help! I'll be sure to come back if I have any further problems.
CosmicAvenger

Postby CosmicAvenger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Well, I have been trying to play, but now the game keeps freezing and I have to ctl+alt+del to get out. I can create multiple saves to make sure the only save doesn't corrupt, and I can keep going back in, but it freezes a LOT, like every 5 or 10 minutes. I found out about going into the game in steam and entering /affinity1 or 2, and that didn't seem to make a difference. I eventually had to quit when I got to an area in the game that seemed to have a graphics issue that prevented me from moving forward, and when I turned around it warped me to an earlier part of the game. So, I guess any tips on these new issues would be appreciated. Thanks!
CosmicAvenger

Postby Thestranger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:32 am

Hmmm, not sure what the issue here is, get the same thing on my Windows Vista drive but runs fine on my Win 7 drive - mind you, I do have the GOG version which my understanding is, is much more stable.
Could be a graphics card issue (make sure you have the latest drivers) or a Quicktime one (more likely), I think ArtistCaleb says in the video clip which version of QT you should have, just check it is the correct version. Failing that I know you have paid for the Steam version but the GOG version is only $5.99, might be worth the investment just to save yourself the grief and be able to play the game.

Kind regards

The Stranger
Thestranger

Postby Jamie Marchant » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:24 am

The sounds similar to issues I had with the game back in the day(when the game was new). Back then the issue was a bad video driver and I needed to upgrade my driver.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby korovev » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 am

The video suggest setting compatibility to Windows 98; try setting it to XP SP2 instead.
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Bryan B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am

I played all the way through Riven with my PC running Windows XP (even though the site said it didn't work).

I ran into only one glitch and that was minor and avoidable once I did it a few times. The glitch happened in the jail cell tunnel, where it opens up to look out on the ocean. It kept warping me back to the entrance of the jail cell. This was a very minor glitch and I was happy to play the game at all.
Bryan B
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:25 am

Hmm

/me looks at Cyan

"Cyan should really fix these things!"
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant