Quicktime won't install

Quicktime won't install

Postby Moonyju » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:15 am

Hi folks!

I'm still trying to find a solution to my issues with realMYST, so I thought I could try installing Riven (5-CD edition that game with the 5th Anniversary Myst/Riven pack).

From what I can tell, the game does install. However, it doesn't seem to recognise the Quicktime player already installed on my machine. I have the latest Quicktime player (re-downloaded it last night).

The Quicktime installer in Riven crashes when it tries to either install a new Quicktime player OR detect previously installed versions on my machine. Well, if it's the ~Quicktime~ installer that crashes, then I should still be able to play since I already have Quicktime installed, you might say. Sadly, no. Upon launching the game, I get dropped back to the desktop with a message saying that Quicktime is missing or out of date.

I tried the option of letting the game find a previously installed version. It crashes.
I tried uninstalling my newer Quicktime so the game can install whatever version it wishes. It crashes.
I tried re-downloading and re-installing the latest Quicktime. It still crashes.

Any ideas? Anyone had the same issue?

As an aside, I tried installing the original MYST and I had the same issue. However, the game still worked. Graphics aren't good and there are no animations/videos whatsoever, but I can wander the island. Riven won't launch at all, it only tells me Quicktime is missing or out of date.

I run Windows XP Pro 32 bits.

Thanks for any help! :)
Moonyju

Re: Quicktime won't install

Postby Mac_Fife » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:59 am

You can maybe look at a post I made on this subject over on the MOUL forums: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 18#p267718 (Gah! 6 years ago! :shock: )

I don't know if your 5-CD edition is the same as mine (mine was the original rather than from the 5th Anniversary Pack, but probably the same) but the advice might help.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby korovev » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:01 pm

For (the original) Myst and Riven, you probably need a specific version (4.1.2) of Quicktime.
An alternative way to make them run is using ScummVM.
KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.
korovev
Obduction Backer

Postby Moonyju » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks for the help, guys!

I first tried to copy the Quicktime files in the system32 folder, to see if that would work. And it did! YAY! Though I admit I was a bit scared at first. The installer still crashed when trying to install the player, but eventually, I got the message that Riven was installed successfully! Next step was to test the game, see how it played, and it seems to be playing flawlessly. Only had one random freeze crash.... I'm not sure if the game crashed, froze or was just taking forever to load the next screen. Either way, I had to force close it. However, later in the day I tried going to the same spot it had frozen and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully that was it!

I couldn't find the Mohawk file though.

I looked a bit at ScummVM... I had no idea what that was! For the moment, Riven works well, but keeping that solution in mind if I encounter further problems!

Thanks again!
I'll be dead to the world again playing the game... ;)
Moonyju

Postby Mac_Fife » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:55 am

Mohawk.w32 should be in your Riven folder (my older notes didn't explain that so maybe you were looking for it in Sytem32). The edit I described fixes an issue where the intro sounds and voices in the game are absent.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Moonyju » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Aaahhh that explains why I couldn't find that file!
I copied the Quicktime files in the system32 folder before installing Riven, so the Mohawk.w32 file didn't exist on my machine yet!

Thanks again! :)
Moonyju

Return to Riven (PC)