Idea: Kickstart Book of Marrim?

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

Idea: Kickstart Book of Marrim?

Postby talldarkmystere » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 am

I might be behind the curve on this one, but I'd be utterly and completely down to donate money to fund Book of Marrim.

Cyan keeps saying it's on one of the many back burners, well, let's turn up the heat!
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Re: Idea: Kickstart Book of Marrim?

Postby laughingpineapple » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 am

Heartily seconded, I have just proposed the same thing on Obduction's comments after a fellow backer brought up BoM and I'm glad to see it's a shared sentiment. Does anyone know how much money something like this would require?
laughingpineapple
Obduction Backer

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:06 am

Hmm, an interesting idea. While I love for the book of Marrim to be out as soon as possible, I doubt Cyan would do another kickstarter for at least a few months as everyone has poured all their money into Obduction.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 am

Man, if only the MYST book series were like the Dune series... Frank wrote six before he died, his son, Brian and Kevin Anderson wrote another... dozen... Another on the way this coming March.

Of course, there's a lot of mixed reaction to the quality and storyline of the post Frank books, but personally, I am grateful to have more of one of my favorite universes to get lost in.

Can we find some authors to 'milk' this series, too? :P
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby Vector Cramp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 am

talldarkmystere wrote:Man, if only the MYST book series were like the Dune series... Frank wrote six before he died, his son, Brian and Kevin Anderson wrote another... dozen... Another on the way this coming March.

Of course, there's a lot of mixed reaction to the quality and storyline of the post Frank books, but personally, I am grateful to have more of one of my favorite universes to get lost in.

Can we find some authors to 'milk' this series, too? :P

I'm not sure getting David Windgrove to do it is the holdup, as Rand stated in an interview a while back that they might find another author to write it.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby Tweek » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am

Oddly enough when I first heard about the Obduction Kickstarter I approached Cyan with this very idea. Unfortunately book is still on the backburner and is destined to remain there for the time being.

Who knows though, if Obduction plays out well in the future they may take another look at it, we can hope anyway.
Tweek
Obduction Backer

Postby LuigiHann » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 pm

It sounded like they wanted to write the book themselves, so its back-burner status is an issue of time rather than money.

I think it'd be neat if they outsourced side-story books in the meantime. But I can see how even if money wasn't an issue and with somebody else writing it, quality control and continuity-checking would still be rather time consuming for Rand and Rawa.
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Postby Erik » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:47 pm

I think it's very difficult to use fundraising for the Book of Marrim.
Cyan has a lot of experience with design and development, so they know how much money they need and how to make a good planning, so that it can be finished in the given time with the given amount of money.
However, writing a book is quite different. You can't say, if I get an x amount of money, I'll be able to write a y number of chapters. I think such an approach would even be harmful to the end result.
Creativity cannot be forced. It should be finished when Cyan considers it finished and assigning a deadline (in terms of money) to the BoM would not be a good idea in my opinion.

In spite of that, I do wish that one day we'll see the Book of Marrim! Just don't think Kickstarter is the right approach.
Erik
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:12 pm

We've "kicked" this idea around some. We just can't promise anything right now. However, I too am all for this concept.

Ryan
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby TealDeer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Heh, I'm a professional writer, and I'd outright volunteer to work on this project.

Unfortunately, I don't have any published fiction credits to my name, just a bunch of magazine articles thus far, so that wouldn't exactly help :P It'd be fun, though.
TealDeer
Obduction Backer

Postby greydragon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm pretty sure Rand has a certain writer in mind, we just need to see if he would be interested. Again, this would be down the road. Thanks for the offer though!

Ryan
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby earthmorgan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:50 am

Just keep it on the backburner for a LITTLE longer until I'm bit better-published, and then maybe Rand will have several writers in mind and my life will be complete. ;)
Adam Morgan
Author. Screenwriter. Swashbuckler.
http://www.adammorganauthor.com
earthmorgan
Obduction Backer

Postby Dan'nee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:25 am

Erik wrote:I think it's very difficult to use fundraising for the Book of Marrim.
Cyan has a lot of experience with design and development, so they know how much money they need and how to make a good planning, so that it can be finished in the given time with the given amount of money.
However, writing a book is quite different. You can't say, if I get an x amount of money, I'll be able to write a y number of chapters. I think such an approach would even be harmful to the end result.
Creativity cannot be forced. It should be finished when Cyan considers it finished and assigning a deadline (in terms of money) to the BoM would not be a good idea in my opinion.

In spite of that, I do wish that one day we'll see the Book of Marrim! Just don't think Kickstarter is the right approach.

Actually, as a writer myself, my experience has been exactly the opposite. A deadline, in terms of money and time can be calculated. It, of course, depends on the amount of the advance the writer(s) and consultants would agree to get up front, but putting a reasonable time deadline on creative projects actually helps get the project finished (as opposed to stifling creativity, as one might expect). In fact, if you've ever head of NaNoWriMo(.org, if you're interested) the deadline can actually open up creativity.

It just has to be a reasonable deadline.
Dan'nee
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion