Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Postby Rivenian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Listen to the interview here: Linky

Speculation? With all the recent activity with Cyan I'm getting super excited. Man, its been a while!

Wild speculation time! Any ideas or hopes, people? I think I read something on the Cyan jobs page about Unreal. Maybe that'll be the new tech!
Rivenian

Re: Looking Forward to that Kickstarter ;)

Postby greydragon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 pm

So speculate :)
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager
greydragon
Cyan Employee

Postby Neptin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:44 am

Yes! Me too! I have been a fan since Myst and have played every game Cyan-created Myst game. Looking forward to whatever you have in store for us!
: // we all have our #differentreasons.com
Neptin
Obduction Backer

Postby jonboy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 pm

It's killing me not knowing how long we'll have to wait to see whatever they're cooking up!
www.jonasquith.com - Animation, Motion Design, Music. Check out my work (if you want to...)
jonboy
Obduction Backer

Postby jonboy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:51 pm

So, does anyone have any ideas what could be announced?

It seems like something bigger than an iOS game (not that there's anything wrong with those) and, as we saw on the cyan twitter they're "hoping to announce" details for something soon, most likely an adventure game.

Do you think it will be Myst related or not?
www.jonasquith.com - Animation, Motion Design, Music. Check out my work (if you want to...)
jonboy
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 pm

It won't be Myst related. Rand said it will be something new. However, this doesn't mean it won't be D'ni related. Cyan has spent the last 20 years developing 10 000 years of lore, it would seem a bit risky to not utilize the vast potential of D'ni culture and history, not to count ages.

Cyan's website even calls Myst V the end of "Atrus' Myst saga". This could mean a) the new game is set in the distant future b) the distant past c) Terahnee d) an age mentioned in Myst lore (like say Everdunes: The Game) or an entirely new IP altogether. I'm hoping for an ancient D'ni puzzle-rpg myself. :mrgreen: Maybe taking place during the era of kings.

I just hope its still fantasy based. It'd be weird to see Cyan go for a sci-fi futuristic look.
Rivenian

Postby dgelessus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:14 am

What about a D'ni city management strategy game? :)
More seriously: "The end of Atrus's Myst saga" could also mean that another person is "continuing" it - y'know, Atrus passed his burden on and such, maybe Yeesha will be important (again). After all, she's been quiet for quite some time...
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Ahlisendar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:56 am

Meh, I think something completely new is the way to do. It's bad to stay fixated on a nearly 20-year-old idea. Don't get me wrong, I love Myst, I just think Cyan's ready to move on.
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby Wafna » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:28 am

I'm still playing Skyrim, and as I wander that wide world I wish that it was the deserted landscape of some D'ni age after the Fall, and instead of dungeons and caves there were old ruinous cities and abodes to gain access to and exhaustively explore, with an occasional linking book in the rubble to lead somewhere else. I would love another adventure game in the Myst universe, but my main wish would be for some sort of an adventure game. I know the genre is not what it once was, but it's not dead yet.
MOULagain KI: 00042417 00032066
Wafna
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm

I just always remember that Cyan has always been the king of original game design. They are a very innovative and smart company when it comes to building worlds. What I love about they're design decisions is that rarely do I find something in a Cyan game which I would call cliche or a design trope. Rand and co have always strived for originality and elegance rather than pre-existing ideas. Cyan has never gone down the DnD route when it came to their environments or their gameplay, rather they focused on believable and beautiful worlds that were new and different from the industry norm and innovative systems rather than the old dnd based gameplay. Robyn even said at Mysterium that he wanted Myst to stray as far away from DnD type games as possible.

Now that the technology has evolved where games like Skyrim, Arche Age and Black Desert look like Riven quality in realtime, I am dying to see how Cyan's creative vision is represented with the likes of Unreal Engine 4. I freel like a lot of games today look good but without providing any real or imaginative ideas/designs. I would really love to see the city of D'ni and various ages done in Unreal 4. I just hope Cyan stays true to their spirit of originality.
Rivenian

Postby Eleri » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm the most excited by the fact that they won't have to deal with *publishers* mussing up their ideas anymore.
Storyteller, Creatrix, and maker of general mayhem
Unwritten RPG: http://www.unwrittenrpg.com/
KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.
Eleri
Obduction Backer

Postby Atticus Finch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:44 pm

i am glad to see that cyan is still going. not going to lie i was a bit worried there for a few years. i still love myst and riven as much as i did when i first played them and im still hopeful that i will get to see myst 3 and 4 to be in cyans rights again so we may be able to play them again as well.(never got a chance to finish revelations :( the game bugged out at the end and i wasn't able to finish it. somehow i haven't manage to spoil the ending of that game for my self yet even though i finished myst 5.) i hope to see great things from you guys.
Atticus Finch
Obduction Backer

Postby Capella » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:18 am

Eleri wrote:I'm the most excited by the fact that they won't have to deal with *publishers* mussing up their ideas anymore.

This. The awesome part about Kickstarter and other types of crowdsourced funding is it removes the middlemen who can complain and demand timetables and change parts of ideas for various and sometimes arbitrary reasons. An unfettered Cyan game is something we haven't had in a long time, and I'm excited.
Mysterium Committee Secretary
My Flickr| My Fanfic
Capella
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Wafna wrote:I'm still playing Skyrim, and as I wander that wide world I wish that it was the deserted landscape of some D'ni age after the Fall, and instead of dungeons and caves there were old ruinous cities and abodes to gain access to and exhaustively explore, with an occasional linking book in the rubble to lead somewhere else. I would love another adventure game in the Myst universe, but my main wish would be for some sort of an adventure game. I know the genre is not what it once was, but it's not dead yet.

Haha! I love Skyrim and all the Elder Scrolls games. I feel its really the only other series that I can truly immerse myself in besides Myst. I feel like Bethesda really put thought into their universe - in both lore and environments. TES, although true fantasy, has a strong streak of realism to it and often times experiments with the tropes of fantasy. Dwemer anyone? Its traditional fantasy a la Tolkien, but done with an original twist while staying very true to richness that you see in a Tolkien or George Martin or the Millers.

It would be cool to see if Cyan could do an open world game. Those are becoming increasingly popular as the game industry moves away from player restriction.
Rivenian

Postby jonboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:47 am

Interesting ideas! I agree that they probably shouldn't make a "Myst" sequel, but something in the D'ni universe (meaning, a game with linking books and ages basically) would still work. The basic concept is still so interesting and freeing creatively. Having said that, I think a lot of the D'ni history - whilst impressive and interesting for hardcore fans - is a bit of a barrier for general gamers.
I must admit, I'm hoping for an adventure game that has the more surreal elements and artistic sensibilities of the earlier games. I'm sure whatever Cyan offer will be great though, including a new IP!!
jonboy
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)