What's the story with Plasma?

General discussion about Cyan products / the company.

What's the story with Plasma?

Postby talldarkmystere » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:06 pm

So, in the course of being excited by the recent stirrings of activity at Cyan, and less than enthusiastic about my job, I had myself a look at the jobs page on the new Cyan site, and I noticed something that definitely caught my interest, and in my opinion, is certainly worthy of speculation, and maybe, just maybe, confirmation by someone in the know.

Of course, Cyan is not hiring at the moment, however, they are still quite interested in hearing from people with experience with Unity and Unreal.

Is this a move away from the Plasma engine?

As much as I loved what Plasma did for the MYST series, I've longed for something that was on the same quality level that I've come to love from the MYST series, but with a modernized engine underneath.

When I watched the demonstration videos for UE4, I couldn't help but lust after a new MYST game made with that engine.

Now, of course, seeing hints at looking for UE talent from Cyan, I am very excited and more than ready to relive the excitement that only MYST games could ever give me.

On your marks, get set - Speculate!
MO:UL - SirDerpsalot
KI #107622

I see the mountain ahead, but I am not worried; I have a spoon.
talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Re: What's the story with Plasma?

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 am

I don't really see what there is to speculate about... It's known that Cyan uses Unity now: they used it for the iOS port of realMyst, and I seem to recall Rand mentioned they used Unity for Bug Chucker too. It's entirely possible that if they are remaking realMyst for PC/Mac, they will be using Unity.
Lyrositor
Lyrositor
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 am

Starry Expanse. Okay, not exactly Cyan, but a group of fans apparently even in some kind of collaboration with Cyan. Definetely looking forward to that one.
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Ahlisendar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:26 pm

dgelessus wrote:Starry Expanse. Okay, not exactly Cyan, but a group of fans apparently even in some kind of collaboration with Cyan. Definetely looking forward to that one.

Yeah, something tells me Cyan got the idea from them ;)
Enter text here
Ahlisendar
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm

I am quite familiar with Starry Expanse, though I personally doubt that they had any particularly strong influence on Cyan's use of Unity.

I'm also aware that they've used Unity for the iOS ports. Personally, I find UE to be superior to Unity graphically, and I continue to hold high hopes that we will see some fresh new beautiful living worlds from Cyan utilizing it.
KI #107622

talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Postby talldarkmystere » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:51 am

Called it. :P
KI #107622

talldarkmystere
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion