Loud Zandi Portable Radio Sound

For installation issues, account problems, problems entering the game, etc.

Loud Zandi Portable Radio Sound

Postby wstrohm » Sat May 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Recently downloaded URU:CC from GOG. Installed it on my "Hackintosh" running Mac OS X "Mavericks" 10.9.2 using "Crossover." Installation went smoothly, and game opening was normal. In the desert, when approaching Zandi, his portable radio music suddenly appeared at a VERY high level, overwhelming Zandi's voice. I tried reducing the "music" volume to minimum in the Game settings, but although the background "desert music" responded to the volume control, the rock music near Zandi did not. Sent a message to GOG, who replied this is an unusual problem and they have no solution. I suppose it could be something due to installing the game in a "wine bottle" by Crossover, but at least one other user of that software has played URU:CC from GOG and noted no problems.

I looked for the Zandi "rock music" among the ".ogg" audio files but could not find it. Is it a different file type?

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this problem? I have downloaded and am playing MOUL on this same computer using Crossover, and it runs just peachy keen.

Thanks!

---- Bill
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Re: Loud Zandi Portable Radio Sound

Postby Christian Walther » Sun May 11, 2014 12:58 am

Various versions of Uru are known to have various audio problems with Crossover/Wine, and I’m not sure if there is anything you can do about it in this case. The file you’re looking for is sfx/clftZandiRadio_Loop.ogg. I’ve tried decompressing it to sfx/streamingCache/clftZandiRadio_Loop.wav again using SoX (which is what this tool uses for MOUL) but that didn’t help with the Zandi radio, it doesn’t seem to be the wav file that’s broken here (which is the problem with MOUL).
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks Christian, for your reply. I did navigate to that Zandi Radio .wav file, and it plays normally under iTunes, as do others. Any chance it might be the "binkw32.dll" file, seeing as how this is a 64-bit computer?
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Sun May 11, 2014 12:01 pm

No. Bink isn’t involved with the audio, and Uru is a 32-bit program so it doesn’t matter whether it’s running on a 64-bit processor.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Mon May 12, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks again, Christian. I tried playing the desert/cleft location through, finding all journey cloths, and then accessing my Relto. Unfortunately in Relto there is a very loud background noise also. Not the Zandi radio file, but something that "tracks" my motions over Relto and covers other in-game sound. It seems strange to me that the program runs perfectly, both video and sound, from the beginning of the desert location up until the Zandi radio file is called by the main program, and then the sound is bollixed up from then on.

Are there any Cyan programmers that might have input to help with this problem? What plays the audio files? Incidentally, on my computer the streamed files in the sfx folder are all ".wav;" none are ".ogg," although those do appear elsewhere in the game's documents. And I have no trouble playing any of the audio files outside the game.

I have no trouble at all with MOUL (installed using Crossover/Crosstie). Both video and sound are fine.
---- Bill
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes, I get that noise on Relto as well. Also, both the Zandi radio and the Relto noise only play on one ear for me – either the left or the right, depending on where I’m facing, with an abrupt transition.

wstrohm wrote:It seems strange to me that the program runs perfectly, both video and sound, from the beginning of the desert location up until the Zandi radio file is called by the main program, and then the sound is bollixed up from then on.

I don’t think that’s what it is. It seems to me more like certain types of sounds play alright and others don’t. You could probably check with PrpShop and find commonalities between the broken and differences to the working sounds. I noticed for example that the guitar music in the desert that plays correctly is not decompressed to streamingCache but appears to be streamed from Ogg. I’ve never investigated further though.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Fri May 16, 2014 7:57 am

Greetings,

Have either of you tried the troubleshooting steps here? if so, please let me know what you learned. If this fixes the issue for you, I'll look into Crossover as a solution to my ongoing Wineskin problems with UruCC and Deep Island.

[[fingers crossed]] ;)
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Fri May 16, 2014 10:48 am

No, I hadn’t – thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately most seem pretty Linux-specific, and of the rest, none appear to have any effect on the Uru sounds, except that when adding SndQueueMax and SndQueueMin I get no sound at all. :(

I noticed however that I can get rid of the Relto noise and Zandi radio by turning the “Number of sounds” on the “Audio” tab of UruSetup below “Mid.”. That just disables the sounds without replacement though, along with lots of others that would have worked fine, and Zandi’s voice is still distorted.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Hey guys,

If' you are interested in a fix for Wineskin/Mac, head over here.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Christian Walther » Sun May 18, 2014 2:12 am

I’ve tried your Wineskin, Ainia, with the same Uru install, and while the Relto noise is indeed gone and I hear the correct Relto ambient sound, I don’t hear Zandi or his radio at all. Does that work for you?

I’ve also just noticed that in CrossOver, the sound issues I’m having with Uru:CC and Deep Island (two separate installs) are different – on CC the Relto noise is persistent and replaces the normal ambient sound, while on DI I get intermittent noise on Relto (depending on position and orientation) in additon to the normal ambient sound.
Christian Walther
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sun May 18, 2014 7:41 am

Hey Christian,

Thanks for the feedback, I haven't tested the Zandi/Cleft issue but can create a new avatar and see what I find.

With the Wine engines, it appears version 1.5.0 was the last one before this sound bug was introduced, so you might try installing some of the earlier engines to see if any of them work better. I'll experiment with this too once I can replicate the symptoms you describe.

In looking at the names assigned to some later Wine engines, it appears the developers were trying to improve speed/lag and compatibility with some graphics cards when they inadvertently introduced this bug. I'm guessing Crossover is based on Wine but could well be wrong about that.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sun May 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Greetings again,

Just finished a quick test of the Cleft with new avvies (both male and female, just in case...). Both avvies get the behavior you describe, no radio or Zandi speeches. It seems the Yeesha imager speech works okay, so I'm guessing the problem isn't that Zandi is an NPC.

I don't have time to test further right now as it's late and tomorrow is a work day. Let us know if you figure anything out in the meanwhile.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Mon May 19, 2014 8:45 am

@Ainia,

I appreciate your attempts to help us on this audio issue. I could not install URU:CC from its original Disc #1 using Crossover... was able to access the "InstallShield Wizard," but it only ran about halfway through before stopping and putting up a "Cannot find String..." (something or other) and failing the install. So, I bought the GOG online version and downloaded it. The Crossover installation procedure on the GOG version worked perfectly, but led to playing URU:CC through only as far as about 20 virtual feet from Zandi, at which point audio went bananas.

I was unable to use the URU:CC app which you provided, since I am unfamiliar with "Wineskin," and most of your explanation of how to use it went right over my head. Crossover doesn't like it because it is already in ".app" Mac format, and I couldn't use it because it couldn't find a proper installer.

I am now wondering if the audio codec used by my Mini ITX computer, which is "Realtek ALC 892 High-definition Audio," is incompatible with the audio codec used by Cyan in URU:CC. If so, I would think that either a game patch (unlikely) or an alternate selection of the audio codec in my computer (which could easily be done if I knew what to change it to) might avoid the problem.

Any comment? Thanks!
---- Bill
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Thu May 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi wstrohm,

Wineskin is a substitute for using Crossover, so it doesn't surprise me that you are getting weird things when attempting to combine them. ;) Both Wineskin and Crossover create configured containers for Windows software so it will work on a Mac. Crossover automates this creation and configuration process for the most part while with Wineskin one must customize as needed by hand if the default setup doesn't work correctly. Crossover can be customized by hand as well, though is a bit more difficult (for me at least) to figure out. They both are based on Wine.

I've posted a query over at the Guild of Writers in hopes that some of the experts there might understand what works so differently with Zandi and his radio. I've tried a few alternate Wineskin settings with versions of directx resulting in either no change or things no longer working at all (the game wouldn't even start). So rather than "spin my wheels" further, I'm hoping the GoW folks can provide some clues about what settings might be the likeliest things to fiddle with.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby wstrohm » Fri May 23, 2014 8:44 am

@Ainia,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have spent a lot of time and experimentation on URU:CC trying to fix the audio problem. The closest I have got to a fully playable game is with a configuration as follows:

1. Open game with Crossover.
2. At first "Windows" dialogue box, choose "Audio" tab and verify "Enable" is checked, then set "Number of Sounds" to one mark to the right of "Low." This is critical!
3. Click "Play" and allow game to open.
4. If you click on "?" at lower right and select "Game Settings" in the resulting window, the "Defaults" settings work OK. However, if perchance you select "Advanced," DO NOT move the "Sounds" slider at all, because if you do move it away from the "almost off" position, the sound will blast, and moving it back will have no effect! In that case you will have to Quit URU:CC and repeat 1 through 3 above.

Under the above condition there is no music, but other sounds (of running, etc.) work, Zandi can be understood although his voice is distorted, Yeesha's speech in the Cleft is clear, and so far all other sounds in the game seem to work OK.

Hope this helps someone else with this issue.
---- Bill
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to Technical Discussion