[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
CYAN Forums • View topic - Permission

Permission

General discussion about Myst.

Permission

Postby Seff » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:13 am

For years now, I've dreamed of recreating Myst in a "mod" for the Elder Scrolls games. But since I'd be working with someone else's "intellectual property"- I think that's that right term- it only seems fair to ask permission. So here goes, and I hope one of the Miller brothers reads this.

May I copy assets from Myst? I don't mean a direct port, but rather recreating models and textures, using music from the official soundtrack, and copying the text of Atrus' journals for use in The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

Please understand that this is a non-commercial project; no money will be made and my teammates, if any, will most likely go unpaid. There was a brief experiment with paid Skyrim mods, but it was quickly "shouted down".

Yours respectfully,
Seff
Seff

Re: Permission

Postby Mac_Fife » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:08 pm

If you intend to re-use any Cyan assets or direct representations of Cyan property then you will need to request a FCAL (Fan Created Art License). It maybe gets into a grey area if you intend to recreate assets from scratch, but to be safe you'd probably still want the FCAL.

You probably won't get a very quick response and certainly not via the forums - you'd probably be better sending an email to either support or legal at cyan.com describing exactly what you aim to do. There's no guarantee that Cyan would grant this and it probably depends on a number of factors that I can only guess at, and it might need a bit of discussion of details of your project.
Mac - MOULagain KI# 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Postby Seff » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks, Mac. As of right now there aren't a lot of details; it's just that I'd like to use this as a "master's project" to bring together several aspects of modding. If all else fails, there's always the "inspired by" route, no?
Seff

Postby Tomala » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:24 pm

This sounds like a cool project. :D I've been playing quite a bit of Skyrim and it seems to have a nice fit for this type of mod. You already have books and notes all over Skyrim, and with the Dragonborn DLC you have "Linking Books", and in some tombs and ruins you have puzzles. I've really taken a liking to the game, especially with the mods. :D

Will it be available on The Skyrim Nexus?
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:36 am

Self, you may want to check and contact Katelin to see what she's learned about these issues in the meanwhile.

Good luck!
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion