[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
CYAN Forums • View topic - Peter Gabriel tunes for the Myst games

Peter Gabriel tunes for the Myst games

General discussion about Myst.

Peter Gabriel tunes for the Myst games

Postby HarveyMidnight » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:27 am

Okay, this is just silly.. something I think about to pass the time. Two of the Myst games have songs by Peter Gabriel on the soundtracks. Myst 4 has 'Curtains', and Uru has 'Burn You Up, Burn You Down'. So I've tried to pick one Peter Gabriel song for each game, that would fit with the feeling of each of them. Here's what I have so far. Feel free to add any better suggestions:

Myst:
The Book of Love. Myst is such a simple, perfect, beautiful game.... I selected a simple, perfect, beautiful song. The suggestion of a magic book is pretty close-to-home, as well.

"The book of love is long and boring, And written very long ago. It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes, And things we're all too young to know."

It's also, "full of charts, and facts and figures..."

Riven:
Darkness. This song is from the point of view of someone struggling to overcome his many, many fears. Some of the lyrics put me in mind of a comment I read, I think posted in one of Ainia's threads on the Mystonline boards, suggesting Gehn is so demanding and keeps such tight control over everything, because as he grew he was never in control of any aspect of his life.

"i'm afraid of what i do not know/ I hate being undermined. I'm afraid i can be [the] devil, man/and I'm scared to be divine. Don't mess with me my fuse is short/ beneath this skin these fragments caught."

Exile:
I Grieve. The lyrics of this song seem to either suggest a loved one dying, or breaking up with the singer... the sense of loss, of being divided from loved ones and grieving, seems very reminiscent of Saavedro's situation.

"i grieve for you/you leave me. So hard to move on/ still loving what's gone. They say life carries on/ carries on and on and on and on."

Revelation:
Freebie on this one, it already has 'Curtains'!

End of Ages:
Mercy Street... I was a little worried about this one, after I chose it. The first verse in particular suggests Yeesha looking out over the ruins of abandoned D'ni...

"Looking down on empty streets, all she can see/ are the dreams all made solid/are the dreams all made real. All of the buildings, all of those cars/ were once just a dream/ in somebody's head."

The song seems very reminiscent of Yeesha, her life, and the intense burden she bears.... but at the same time, it was written as a tribute to a poet named Anne Sexton, whose own life was not without some controversy. So I worry if it would be appropriate to "co-opt" this song and apply it to Yeesha.

Uru:
Of course, another freebie thanks to Zandi's boombox!
HarveyMidnight

Re: Peter Gabriel tunes for the Myst games

Postby LuigiHann » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:51 pm

(Spoilers)
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Re: Peter Gabriel tunes for the Myst games

Postby HarveyMidnight » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:25 am

Yeah, I was also thinking Solsbury Hill would be a good replacement for I Grieve in Myst: Exile as well.. a happy feel that suggests...
HarveyMidnight

Return to General Discussion