tribute to Riven

General discussion about Riven.

tribute to Riven

Postby tomfoolery » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:21 pm

I thought to post this here as opposed to the Riven forum or Backers Only as anyone who has played Riven will understand and enjoy this and has probably been lurking around here (as I have) looking for anything to "scratch the Myst-itch".

This is a short tribute to Riven that appears to have been just posted yesterday; I ran across it on RockPaperShotgun in a reader comment on an announcement about the Obduction delay:

http://www.tonnochiroad.com/2016/07/within-fissure.html

It's an excellent analysis of why exactly Riven was so darn good and how it set the bar for adventure gaming for years to come with its grand ambition and broad scope. I think I may journey through Riven again while we are "very patiently" waiting for The Big Day .

Cheers!
-tomfoolery
A Stranger from the very beginning...
tomfoolery

Re: tribute to Riven

Postby LordVeovis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:34 pm

That was an excellent article.
What do you see? I see a city, a people, destroyed along with the hope of millions, because of one man's pride.
LordVeovis

Postby wstrohm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Beautifully written and almost matches my feelings for Riven, which is my all-time favorite Cyan game... which means my all-time favorite game. URU is even more vast than Riven, but somehow Riven seems to be an actual place. I often fantasize about Riven as a place to be, when I'm gardening or just in my "nothing box." I have it installed on my old PowerMac G3 desktop and also on my PPC PowerMac G5. If I could play it on my new Skylake Mini-ITX build, I would!
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Postby Agesage » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:11 am

Great tribute! I feel the same about Riven. It was the first truly immersive world I played. The attention to detail and the excellent graphics are on another level. Yes, Myst was cool and modern open world games are far bigger now. BUT, Riven was the first, and therefore left an enormous impression on me.
Agesage

Postby Thestranger » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Wow, couldn't have said this better myself, summed up my feelings in one. I have always felt that Riven has never been fully recognised as the masterpiece that it really is - masterpiece in every single respect bar none. I am still playing this 19 years later, I have it on 2 PC's and both of my iPads, I have framed discs all over the house, pictures, an A0 sized framed map, pictures and the soundtrack on my phone (and iPads), I live, eat and breathe Riven and I always will.
Thestranger

Return to General Discussion