HD Riven Re-release?

General discussion about Riven.

HD Riven Re-release?

Postby Rivenian » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am

Found http://i1.ytimg.com/u/gGqy6Rl9_Q5umGk-8 ... banner.jpg on Cyan's YouTube page. Just how many beautiful HD renders are there of Riven out there? If any of you own the From Myst to Riven coffee table book, you know many high-res renders there are of the game environments. Sadly in 1997, the resolutions and detail had to be scaled down and compressed for the CD-Rom format.

In today's world of Steam downloads, size isn't an issue. Cyan could really reinvigorate the old classic with a fully HD version of the game as the original renders proved. I'm even suspecting they're already doing this. If you look at the Obduction Kickstarter trailer, you'll see a quick shot of an employee editing what appears to be Riven quicktime data (specifically of Gehn's linking book animation). Rand mentioned at Mysterium two years ago the impossibility of an HD Riven due to old file formats and my reaction was like "Really? That's going to stop an entire project? Outdated formats? Really?" . However, what if Cyan got over this hurdle since that interview? Is an HD Riven on its way?

What do you guys all think? I'd love to see it happen. Riven's uncompressed visuals are up there with today's graphics. I think it would be a visually orgasmic experience if released.
Rivenian

Re: HD Riven Re-release?

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:30 pm

An HD release of Riven sounds wonderful. I would prefer one on dual-layer(8 GB) DVD-ROM since I can't download that much a month.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Thestranger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 am

I have been in touch with Cyan in the past about high-res images but it seems they have lost the original files so I suspect an HD version will not be available, they might be able to render up the existing ones but it would be a mammoth task and in all truth I have done this myself with acceptable (but not brilliant) results so suspect they will not bother.
Thestranger

Postby Jamie Marchant » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:10 am

Too bad to hear about loosing the assets. :( . Oh well. Have to wait for realriven then.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Postby LuigiHann » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 pm

I knew they didn't have the resources to make a realtime 3D version, but I always hoped they had higher-res versions of the graphics to make a cleaned-up 2D version. Even at something like 1024x768 would be lovely. Oh well.
LuigiHann
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:34 am

I was talking about the fan-made Stary Expance Project: http://www.starryexpanse.com/
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
Jamie Marchant

Return to General Discussion