Franchise Favorites Ranked

General discussion about Riven.

Franchise Favorites Ranked

Postby Allatwan18 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Hey all, I was just curious how other people ranked games in the franchise. Riven is my favorite. My entire list is below. Agree/disagree?

Riven
Exile
Myst
Revelation
End of Ages
Uru
Allatwan18
Obduction Backer

Re: Franchise Favorites Ranked

Postby Vector Cramp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 pm

My personal list goes:

Riven
Uru
Revelation
Myst
End of Ages
Exile

Riven really has to take the spot for first place. It's immersive, hard, beautiful, and well thought out.
Uru has just as much story and the fact that you can play with others makes it that much better. The environments are big and you could really tell any story you want there.
Revelation and Myst are tied in the middle. I find just as many flaws in both, but the fact that I can see people living at these places (except Spire) along with it's plot of urgency makes it top Myst.
End of Ages was okay. Nothing great, but nothing bad either.
And last we have Exile which I found to be a huge disappointment after Riven. Whereas all the puzzles in Riven were so intricately placed in the world, here they are just sticking out in the open and given a free pass because they are supposed to "teach" us something. The ages pretty much all share the same story minus Narayan and while pretty to look at, are just places.
Vector E. Cramp:

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions
Vector Cramp
Obduction Backer

Postby Rivenian » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:32 am

Riven (duh)
Uru
Exile
Myst
Revelation
End of Ages

Riven is really the most elegant and intricate. How everything comes together in the end is beautiful. Uru is one of the weirdest and most ambitious games ever made and I feel had it been given a chance, it would have really been the greatest game ever made.

Exile I find to be such a beautiful and expressive game. The puzzles are very logical and they fit into an overarching theme. The art style is evocative and unique and the story is one of the best in the series. Saavedro is an amazingly well developed character. All in all, Exile was just such a fun game.

Myst is the classic that started it all. It's about on par with Exile in quality but I find it a little less well developed than Exile.

Revelation is sort of half good, half terrible. The story isn't awful and both Haven and Spire are remarkably iconic and memorable. Tomahna I found rather bland but still nice overall. The puzzles were really a let down as I found that they were not overly logical but rather based on trial and error (the rubix cube) and climaxed with awfully implemented timed puzzles. The acting was horrid and always took me out of my suspension of disbelief and finally there was Serenia, the most cliched age in the series. They couldn't have been further from the Myst feel with this place. Its just so Atlantis. Dream felt more like a phone app and there was a Peter Gabriel song right in the middle of the game for no reason. Just awful.

End of Ages could have been better but I feel it was sort of rushed out the door due to Ubisoft's contract with Cyan. The ages feel more at home in Uru than in Myst and the environments feel barren without the usual cornucopia of stuff to interact with and examine. The story was vague and the most of the information regarding what the player should do was revealed in dialogue exposition rather than the environment, which has always been Myst's trademark. I had no clue about anything I should do relating to the story because I had no environmental clues about say Esher or Yeesha. All in all I think this was a sad way to end the series, but hey what can you do ion one year's time?
Rivenian

Postby Talashar » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:41 am

Riven
Uru
Myst
Exile, End of Ages (couldn't make up my mind!)
Revelation

Riven remains the best. Uru has great environments and hints at a deeper story, but lacks Riven's cohesiveness. As for Revelation, it struck me when I replayed the series recently as being the least Myst-like of the games, I think due to the amulet and the "fiddly" nature of nearly every puzzle.
Talashar Geltahn; Ki 183867
An overview of D'ni grammar
My fiction
Talashar
Obduction Backer

Postby Thestranger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 am

1. Riven (without a doubt, best gameplay, best environment, best storyline, best puzzles, the best!)
2. Exile (more because I love the environment - gameplay was nowhere near as good as Riven and the storyline was pretty naff but the environment...wow!)
3. Revelation (Again more because of the environment although the story this time made more sense and wasn't too bad)
4. Myst (Obviously the graphics were nowhere near the level of Riven, the storyline wasn't too bad but the puzzles were a little bid random - having said that, it was the first in the series and I am now playing the new RealMyst Masterpiece edition so yes, it has a lot going for it)
5. End of Ages (This really was a bit of a turkey in my book (sorry if that offends) ) the more I played it the more I realised how bad its shortcomings were, graphics were a step backward (compared to what we had enjoyed before), puzzles were nowhere near as good as previous versions and in all truth that tablet started to annoy me. I got the impression that it was all a bit rushed when it came to getting it out of the stable.
6, URU and URU live. Although I have enjoyed both of these versions I cannot help but feel that they belong in the EoA stable and as such the graphics let it down for me. The yardstick I use for judging any games graphics is simply "Would I want it as desktop wallpaper?", Sadly with EoA and URU the answer would be no, Riven Exile and Revelation - Yes, Myst - yes but only for the new Realtime version. Gameplay in URU was... well, a bit of a letdown and a bit random in my humble opinion.

So to conclude... Riven wins hands down, nearly 17 years on and I am still playing it, writing about it and producing 'paraphernalia' for it - says it all really...
(Just wish we had more high-res images for it - or the source files, now THAT would be something...)
Thestranger

Postby Horatio » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Riven
Uru
Exile
Myst
End of Ages
Revelation
Horatio
[MOULa KI #00075975]
[MOUL KI #00676569]
Member in good standing of the URU Karaoke Community
Horatio
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:03 am

Riven- Everything is perfect, besides the compatibility issues with new PCs and one or two spots where the graphics have not aged well. People say the firemarble puzzle is too hard, but honestly I don't remember the process I used to solve it the first time, so I can't judge.

Uru- Wonky controls, and platforming doesn't belong in a puzzle game... but it's still fun, and still beautiful.

Exile- Presto is amazing at this genre (I implore you to try Journeyman Project 3! It's very similar to Exile) but it lacks the Cyan touch; the ages don't feel as D'ni as they should (which can be explained by the fact that Atrus wrote them, I suppose.) Also, the ages are quite linear; Riven and Uru both had the player exposed to a handful of unrelated puzzles all at once, which I believe is a good thing because it keeps you from getting burnt out.

Myst- Clearly aged. I don't mean the graphics: It doesn't quite fit with the rest of the universe. The ages are small, and most of the time the only interesting thing there was something that Atrus built on it. Compared to gems like Kadish Tolesa, which was 100% alien and fresh, going back to Stoneship is just dull.

Revelation- Although it's not a BAD game, it's not very good for a Myst game. Tapping on things gets boring, Yeesha was insufferable, and the ending was crap. Haven was pretty, but not very exotic: Spire had the opposite problem.

End of Ages- Abandons the tried-and-true video actors for wonky models that look out of place. Puzzles are obscure and revolve around a dumb etch-a-sketch gimmick that didn't work very well. Heck, the first time I played Todelmer I drew a random symbol from the wall onto the pad because it looked like one of the solutions, and it took me to the end of the Age! But the game had wonderful art direction and at least provided some closure. Maybe I would like it more if I cared about the Bahro.. and I'm still sour that we didn't get to explore Releeshahn.
Twitch

Postby Ainia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:26 am

Twitch wrote:...the first time I played Todelmer I drew a random symbol from the wall onto the pad because it looked like one of the solutions, and it took me to the end of the Age!

WARNING: Off topic :mrgreen:

Do you happen to remember exactly which Bahroglyphic you used? At one time, I had started testing some of the unused symbols we see in End of Ages, with some very interesting results. Sadly, the project is dormant (just not enough hours in the year), but it shouldn't take too long for me to do a preliminary test of the one you found. :)

Overall, it looks to me like one can communicate with the Bahro using many more symbols than the ones we had to learn in order to progress through the game. I suspect that if we put our minds to it, we can figure out a great deal of the Bahro language. :D
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:05 pm

The one on the left, the weird pac-man looking thing. I just did it again, and it indeed does cause the Bahro to bring the slate to the end of the age, and essentially finishes the level. I always thought it was just the symbol recognizer being too lenient, since both shapes are vaguely similar.
Twitch

Postby KathAveara » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:22 am

I've tested this myself, and all it does is cause the poor Bah'ro to shake his head and link away.
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Talashar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 pm

I did the same thing as Twitch when I played Todelmer for the first time, with the same results. On the other hand, the Tahgira symbol always takes me several frustrating attempts to get right. No doubt this accounts for some of Esher's bad attitude towards the Bahro.
Talashar Geltahn; Ki 183867
An overview of D'ni grammar
My fiction
Talashar
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Here- I did it one more time and recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9mrZP26GDU
Twitch

Postby Ainia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Awesome, Twitch, thanks for sharing your video! :D

Yep, I think there's more going on with those Bahro symbols and slates than we saw at first glance in EoA...
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby KathAveara » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:42 am

Fascinating. I'll do the same, later.
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Main_Avvie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:23 am

Riven - a Masterpiece
Myst - Revolutionary
Uru - Flawed but Brilliant Gem

As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the series can effectively not exist. I don't *dislike* these entries per-se, I just consider them superfluous. On their own they are decent games. Myst III is itself a solid game in its own right, but the other two are pretty lackluster.

EoA was a latch ditch effort by Cyan to hurriedly end the series out of context after Uru's demise. It forcibly ends the series to an awkward conclusion. Many of the ages are leftovers from Myst Online that are pale shadows of what they could have been. The unique tablet mechanic and a brilliant CGI performance courtesy of David Ogden Stiers can't put EoA on par with the rest of the series.

Revelations was a solid but misguided attempt at a Myst sequel courtesy of Ubisoft. They're obviously no good at puzzle design and their grasp of series lore is tentative at best. Can't fault IV's presentation much, however. It is by far the most cinematic of the series and the art direction is exceptional. To this day I still feel like it is an entry that can be safely ignored.

Of all the Myst sequels, Myst III is the one that is the most solid title on its own. Presto did an outstanding job with it. The presentation is top notch, Saveedro is the series' second best villain after Gehn (unless you count Veovis) but the premise is a rehash of Myst and it is hard to claim that Myst III has anything resembling a central narrative. The environments also lack that personal touch of spaces that feel lived in. The whole game feels thin, but of all the non-cyan produced sequels III has the best puzzles that still pale in comparison to Cyan's best work.

The brothers Miller had intended the Myst narrative to end with Riven. As it stands Myst and Riven are a complete journey wrapped up neatly with a nice little bow. Uru was envisioned as a spinoff that would take the lore and story to new places in a different context. But one does not simply end a hot property like Myst which is why the publisher demands sequels. As far as sequels go, the Myst series has been lucky to avoid any that are 'bad'.
Main_Avvie
Obduction Backer

Next

Return to General Discussion