D'ni mandala on one of Cyan's journal props?

General discussion about Riven.

D'ni mandala on one of Cyan's journal props?

Postby Gadren » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:07 pm

I was looking at PCWorld's article "In pictures: Inside Cyan's 'Myst Vault,' the living history of Myst and Riven" (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2691194/in-pictures-inside-cyans-myst-vault-the-living-history-of-myst-and-riven.html), and I noticed an interesting image I hadn't seen before.

One image is of a red book that was presumably used in Riven, as it has the D'ni numeral 5 on the corners: http://core0.staticworld.net/images/art ... 4-orig.jpg

However, I also notice that it has an interesting symbol in the center that looks like a D'ni mandala (much like Yeesha's symbol, which says "Yeesha" in D'ni in the middle). Has this ever been translated?

Here's a closeup of the mandala: Image
Gadren
Obduction Backer

Re: D'ni mandala on one of Cyan's journal props?

Postby Twitch » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Interesting! There are some shapes that vaguely look like D'ni characters, but I can't make anything out.
Twitch

Postby KathAveara » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:06 am

This is way more stylised than anything we've seen before. I can make out some very suggestive patterns, but nothing concrete. It looks like a few of the squiggles could just be fillers, put in to minimise empty space, and also to obscure the mandala.
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby Twitch » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:19 am

I think it's safe to say that there's no meaning in the symbol itself. Yeesha's mandala had very obvious and undistorted letters, and this has almost nothing that can be interpreted as a character by any means. That might be an 'ai' at the bottom, but nothing else even looks close.
Probably just decorative.
Twitch

Postby Ainia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:27 pm

So perhaps it was some worshipful Rivenese's attempt at emulating the language of the "g o d" Gehn?
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion