Kickstarter to buy back the rights?

General discussion about Myst III: Exile.

Kickstarter to buy back the rights?

Postby davecotter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I bet if you did a kickstarter, to buy back the rights for III and IV from Presto or Ubisoft or whoever owns it, you'd quite easily make your goal. Then you could re-release it on steam, and end all the problems with not being able to run it without the CD.

I, for one, would be an über-backer for that one.
davecotter
Obduction Backer

Re: Kickstarter to buy back the rights?

Postby Tweek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 am

Not that simple unfortunately.

With Uru Cyan made the game and Ubisoft published it. So it was possible for Cyan to get the rights back for that (some of it at least).

With Myst 3 and 4 Ubisoft made the game and Ubisoft published the game (Presto Studios disbanded and was rolled into Ubi). So whilst it technically uses Cyan's base IP with their permission the game is pretty much Ubisofts.

At least that's been my understanding of it over the years.
Tweek
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 am

My understanding is Cyan is working on it, it may not be a money thing, it may just be that legal things take a very long time to resolve.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby belford » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 am

Kickstarter is not a magic wand.

To run a kickstarter for a goal, you have to be able to deliver the goal. Cyan can't "deliver" this goal because Ubisoft controls the IP and decides the price. Nothing will happen until Ubisoft decides they want to do it, and picks a price. Maybe that negotiation is going on. Maybe it's stalled. We don't know.

Once there is a deal and a price, then Cyan decides how to pay. Maybe that involves fundraising. Maybe not. Obviously we're not at that point.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby Mac_Fife » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:25 am

Jamie Marchant wrote:My understanding is Cyan is working on it, ...
I don't think so, at least not for Myst 3 and 4. Tweek's recollection is pretty much right. Cyan licensed out the Myst name and backstory so Presto could develop Exile for Ubisoft. The detail IP then became Presto's property. When Presto folded, that IP passed to Mattell Interactive which in turn was later absorbed into Ubisoft and so the circle closed and Cyan have little to no claim on the Exile/Revelation property. End of Ages is a different case, since it was partly fall-out from Uru's development and I believe there was/is some effort to try to get some of that back.
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.
Mac_Fife
Former MystOnline Moderator

Return to General Discussion