The Gauntlet and the Maze

Warning: Posts here may contain spoilers.

Re: The Gauntlet and the Maze

Postby wstrohm » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 am

Now that Cyan has released a Mac version (1.4.1) that actually runs on my computer, I can stop recovering from crashes since 8/24 and try and slog my way through the "Lazy Susan" ("Maze"?) puzzle. So far I have made only the long straight-through trip; I'm nicely stuck now. But at least that gate-in-the-air is transparent.
---- Bill
Intel i7 8700, Z370N, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GTX 1050 TI OC, Mac OS 10.13.6
wstrohm
Obduction Backer

Re: The Gauntlet and the Maze

Postby Baladria » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 am

For the series of swap shells, it took me a second run through to "get it". I found my way through it quite quickly the first time I played, but I understood it incorrectly at first. I discovered that in the second shell with the three devices the central device doesn't need to be used ever, unless I am mistaken. Maybe it is to throw you off or to really get you thinking about the way swapping works. As for the third sphere (I hope this hasn't been addressed yet), there are actually two devices, which I didn't realize until later. So it's not just a matter of going back and forth until you get the desired result, but it functions in the way the first shell does, except you need to include the devices from the second shell (any one of them) in the solution. There is a logic to it, but it seems to take a couple of tries to figure it out. Was that your question?

As for there being more than 5 "semispheres" for the maze puzzle, I'm not quite sure I follow you. The giant swap device on the lower floor of the maze is the device that swaps to/from Hunrath. If there were other levels in the Hunrath caverns for multiple giant swap devices, then that would mean there would have to be multiple swap devices for the last two shells that you just solved, which couldn't be the case. You have to use the seed devices from the second shell in order to complete the maze puzzle, so there can be only one giant seed device for the maze in Hunrath. The maze shapes swap with the Hunrath giant device because that's where the rotation button is. More than five semispheres isn't necessary.

I think, though, that this is one of the best parts of the game: it keeps us figuring out the puzzles after we've already figured them out!

If you don't mind me linking you to this, I made a silly guide because I have nothing better to do with my time :roll:. You're welcome to check it out to see how I figured it out. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzm-iTL9uFhhLWZoLXRVenJwd1U
MOULa KI: 00212408 (feel free to add me)
Read my ramblings: http://baladriaonmyst.blogspot.com/
Baladria
Obduction Backer

Previous

Return to HINTS, TIPS, & SPOILERS