Myst V; The 'bats' in K'veer

General discussion about Myst V: End of Ages.

Myst V; The 'bats' in K'veer

Postby Charura » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 pm

I asked this in city in Moul(a) and got no response,, since K'veer is present in both URU and Myst V i thought it worthwhile to ask there first....

After listening to Esher on the surface inside the volcano you venture down into K'veer...there are several creatures down here..the Bahro and 'bat-like' creatures fluttering around the Bahro...My question is this... are these 'bat-like' creatures actually the spawn of the Bahro? Or just the normal everyday cave-dwelling bats we have on the surface? Just an 'ohb'servation...I can find no other reference to these little guys...This would make the Bahro..Rodents!!! In fact, they look like rodents.
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Re: Myst V; The 'bats' in K'veer

Postby KathAveara » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Baby Bah'ros!
Aka KathTheDragon (literally everywhere else on the internet)
Moula KI: 00005310
DI KI: 00205116
tumblr: kaththedragon
KathAveara
Obduction Backer

Postby dgelessus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:30 pm

BTW, the area you venture into after Esher's first speech is the Great Shaft aka Descent aka D'ni-Tiwah. K'veer is the place where the Keep was and where you start in Myst V.

Regarding the bats, I'd just say bats. The volcano is on Earth, so it isn't very unlikely that they are just average surface bats. As long as they don't start randomly linking away... :o
MOULa2.dgelessus=32253
dgelessus

Postby Charura » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

My bad..K'veer is where you start...Descent is the area I'm referring to..I'm sorry...anyone have a close up of one of those boogers?...lol
Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Postby Ainia » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Shorah Charura,

"Bats" as baby Bahro is an interesting thought. However, my own take is that what we see are the garden variety Terran cave bats instead.

There have been a number of explorers who have photographed young Bahro, and those children don't resemble bats (and do look like small Bahro). But the behavioral data more than anything else suggests to me that "bats" are not Bahro.

• The bats so far have shown no sign of being able to link
  • The bats are not wary of human contact in the same way Bahro are
  • The bats and Bahro do not treat each other as familiars
For some reason, the forum is being *most* uncooperative in letting me post pictures of the bats and baby Bahro...
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Ok, couldn't post these photos directly, but here they are as links (sorry, dunno why the bb code is having fits tonight).

Here are a few pics of the bats:

Here are a couple KI photos of a baby Bahro taken by wkwalker:

Last edited by Ainia on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:05 pm

And just for grins, here are a few photographs of the only other bats to be found in the Ages thus far.

ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:58 am

Ainia wrote:

Thanks for posting, Ainia, pretty conclusive evidence, but it was a fun theory! Incidentally, there seem to be two species of bats in Kveer.
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Ainia » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Acorn1 wrote:
Ainia wrote:

Thanks for posting, Ainia, pretty conclusive evidence, but it was a fun theory! Incidentally, there seem to be two species of bats in Kveer.

Two species? Are you referring to the apparently missing "head" of the fellow on the left? If so, I think it's because of his flight angle which obscures his head behind the nearer tail.

Or am I missing something else here?? In watching these two flying about in the Kveer hallways, at that time they looked to be the same species, as well as species matches for the ones flying about in Atrus's office chamber upstairs.
ImageImage
Ainia
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 pm

I've not gone back to look at them live, but the wings on the two bats in this picture look very different - one reminds me of a seagull and the other is more compact.
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Return to General Discussion