Myst on Linux

General discussion about Myst.

Myst on Linux

Postby Seff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:05 am

So first of all- merry Christmas! I'd like to congratulate Cyan on the success of Myst and ask about the possibility of porting the series to Linux.

Actually, some of them don't need to be ported- just packaged with the Linux version of Scumm or Residual VM (depending on which title we're talking about). Already they're bundled together with the Windows versions.

Yes, one can download the installer, extract its contents and configure the game (that's what I'm doing), but it would be very nice to be able to just download and run a script. GOG packages its Linux games with something called MojoSetup, which creates a shell script. Might the Myst series do the same or similar?
Seff

Re: Myst on Linux

Postby Jamie Marchant » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:42 pm

I mean if you have the original game you can use Skummvm: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Myst. I've suggested to Cyan that they port their games to Linux for years but they don't seem to have time for that. Also if I recall, in an interview Rand was confused about how to make a Linux app that is universally compatible(I think their are tools that let you do this) and did not know which distro to support.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Tomala » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Jamie Marchant wrote:Also if I recall, in an interview Rand was confused about how to make a Linux app that is universally compatible(I think their are tools that let you do this) and did not know which distro to support.

I understand Linux not being a primary focus, but that's still some interesting phrasing. Considering all they would need to do is take the old Myst like OP said and run it through Scumm or Residual VM, and then advertise it as being available to install on Linux. Word in the Linux community would get around generating more interest in purchasing the game and throwing more change in Cyan's direction.

Though Cyan has to keep their eyes on the prize, and it's a known fact that more people use VR than Linux. :ugeek: Gotta go where the money is...
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.
Tomala
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm back, keep forgetting to come back on here. Anyways:
still some interesting phrasing

Well, it's not an exact quote.

You are right, wrapping the game in Skummvm would work,
that's basically what this port is:
http://thejourneymanproject.com/presto/journeymanprime/
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant