Uru: Complete Chronicles patch beta 1.1.4

General discussion about Uru: Complete Chronicles.

Uru: Complete Chronicles patch beta 1.1.4

Postby Chogon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm

I have recently been able to recreate the environment to build the Uru:Complete Chronicles executables! I have created an update beta patch that I would like to open up beta testing to all that have purchased Uru:Complete Chronicles.
If you have comments, questions or bugs, please post in this thread.

The beta patch is at https://account.mystonline.com/download/UruCCBeta.zip

Thanks!
Chogon

NOTE: If you are running the Steam or GOG.com version of Uru:CC, you will either need to stop auto updates or copy the UruCC directory from the Steam or GOG.com library into a different directory (recommended).

Here is the contents of the readme.txt file:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
This is a beta patch 1.1.4 for Uru: Complete Chronicles executables. Use at your own risk.

=== A quick glance what is in this patch ===
1) Version displayed in the title of the game window (if in windowed mode)
2) Win10 Cursor fix (from Adam Johnson and Joseph Davies)
3) HD resolution support (16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratio resolutions).
4) DirectMusic disabled

=== Installing this patch ===
Before you start, be sure to back up your Uru directory. Theoretically, you should only need to back up UruExplore.exe and UruSetup.exe.
After unzipping the patch, copy the files into your Uru directory.
Then run UruSetup.exe or UruExplore.exe
Enjoy!

=== More detail of the updates===
1) Version displayed in the title of the game window --
The version is now displayed in the game window title (when in windowed mode) and this patch should display "UruExplore 1.1.4 beta" The UruExplore.exe file Properties, Details should show the correct Product version and the File description more accurate.
2) Win10 Cursor fix --
This is the fix that was created by Adam Johnson and Joseph Davies that fixes the right-mouse camera pan in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. This fix will also work if you have UruExplore.exe in compatibility mode (such as WindowsXP - which fixes a reported crash in Teledahn)
3) HD resolution support --
In UruSetup.exe, under the Graphics tab, the resolutions selectable in Screen Resolutions should now include HD (ie. 16:9 and 16x10) resolutions. If the resolution is an HD resolution the aspect ratio will be displayed with the resolution. Such as "1280x720 (16:9)"
4) DirectMusic disabled --
Microsoft has long since deprecated DirectMusic. Uru: Complete Chronicles only uses it marginally and works fine without it. The reason for disabling DirectMusic is because in some system configurations it would cause crashes.

=== Known issues ===
1) For all scopes and telescope, the vignette or scope viewing screen does not cover the entire screen in HD resolutions.
2) UHD resolutions (21:9 and above) will not be supported... the camera system becomes too warped and is not playable.
3) In HD resolutions, when in first person, the sides of the game screen becomes warped or stretched. It is not as pronounced as UHD but is quite noticiable.
Chogon
Site Admin

Re: Uru: Complete Chronicles patch beta 1.1.4

Postby Sirius » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 pm

Wow, supporting HD resolutions is great news ! A lot of us still play Complete Chronicles regularly, so this is a real blessing. I hope you will figure out the camera warping bug too, as it's a bit too noticeable in my opinion. I think Adam and Joseph have a fix for that too. But still, great work ! :D
Sirius

Postby Jamie Marchant » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

Cool, I may try that later.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
If I don't respond it's because email notification is down again and
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Chogon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:41 am

Sirius wrote: I hope you will figure out the camera warping bug too, as it's a bit too noticeable in my opinion. I think Adam and Joseph have a fix for that too.

Yes they do. Adam and Joseph were early testers of this patch and have sent me their fix and I should be able to retro fit it into the UruCC sources. There still needs to be more updates to this beta (especially for the short scope vignettes).

Thanks,
Chogon
Chogon
Site Admin

Postby AdamJohnso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 pm

This is a great start, and I'm certain the final release will address all of the little problems**. The way this kind of thing works is generally in fixing one thing you break at least two or three others. 8-)

** EDITED: apparently the original word I used was censored. I am unfamiliar with any offensive uses for that particular word, but the replacement phrase made no sense, so I have changed the word such that my post makes sense.
Last edited by AdamJohnso on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamJohnso
Obduction Backer

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 am

That's really cool then ! Thanks to everyone involved for these fixes ! :D
Sirius

Postby Acorn1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm

AdamJohnso wrote:This is a great start, and I'm certain the final release will address all of the little problems**. The way this kind of thing works is generally in fixing one thing you break at least two or three others. 8-)

Just in case any new problems had been created, I tested this beta on my Win10 laptop. CC played through without any issues. (The version label was displayed so I know it was the correct one :lol: ) I am now trying it on my Win7 laptop - so far so good there too, but I haven't got far yet.
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Acorn1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 am

I've hit a snag playing on my Win7 laptop. Visiting Teledahn makes the game crash. It happens either within one step of arriving at the start (in the hut) or sometimes I make it round to the journey cloth on the side of the hut and touching that causes the crash. The error message says "Exception Type: Access violation.Call stack [0 levels truncated] <end>. The actual game doesn't terminate (though there is no longer anything showing on screen once I close the error message). I have to go to Task Manager to close it down so I can restart.

I am running the game from files, including the Chogon replacements, saved on an external hard drive. Not sure if the problem is something to do with that, but so far it's only Teledahn where I get the problem. The same files on the hard drive work fine on my Win10 laptop. I get the same crash on the Win7 laptop whether I'm playing in windowed mode or full screen. And I checked my original CC installation and it plays fine on the Win7 laptop.

Sorry if this is specific to my set-up but I thought I should report it in case Adam was right and fixing the cursor caused something else to break.

Edit: using the same Win7 setup, I also get a crash when I use the Ki to take a picture. Again the error is an access violation. Call stack [5 levels, truncated]: - I can type up the rest of the error message if it helps. let me know!
new MOULa: Acorn1; new Ki: 57213
Acorn1
Obduction Backer

Postby Jamie Marchant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:22 pm

I get "
---------------------------
Error
Unable to authenticate for single player.
Please insert your CD and try again.
OK
"
Any suggestions. Am using URU and PoTS expansion from CD-ROM but I might have "URU CC" lying around somewhere.

This is on Windows 10 64-bit.
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant
I forgot to return to the thread.
Jamie Marchant

Postby Jamie Marchant » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am

Should this be a support ticket?
-------------------
-Jamie Marchant