Question about Obduction kickstarter backing via Paypal

Re: Question about Obduction kickstarter backing via Paypal

Postby Tai'lahr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:00 am

tommyap, I don't have a credit card, but I do have a Visa DEBIT card through my bank and it works just like a credit card.
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby tommyap » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:11 am

Online i can only get a creditcard.
I will go to my bank tomorrow (closed now) to see if i can get a debit card there.
Hopefully just in time.
Thanks
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby tommyap » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:48 am

I wanted the Obduction box so much, that i ALLMOST got myself a debitcard, which would have cost me a whopping 87,70 Euro (118,54 USD) over three years.
Common sense intervened.
Paypal does not accept payment through any other channel than VISA-Mastercard-Discover-Anex and NOTHING else. They do NOT accept other credit/bebit cards. They do NOT accept bank transfers. They do NOT accept cheques. They do NOT accept cash.
To make matters worse: Paypal does not offer any service to the consumer other than is already provided by their bank.
Since you can not use Paypal without owning a card of one of the four companies mentioned above, (and these cards are not free as i mentioned, you have to buy one or pay transaction fees or both) this bears all the hallmarks of a classic tying/cartel scheme. The same is true for Amazon.
I implore Cyan to consider preventing the use of Paypal (and Amazon) whenever possible, or at least allways offer alternatives.
Cutting TWO redundant middlemen out of their "share" reduces the costs for your custumers and fans.
Us.
Thank you in advance.

ps. I still want that box, but under the circumstances i accept defeat. :cry:
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby Tai'lahr » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 am

Awww, I feel very bad that you weren't able to find a way to participate in the Kickstarter and get the item you wanted. And, I'm sorry that my replies were completely useless to your situation. I thought I was being helpful, but it must be quite different outside of the U.S. The fees you mention must be a European thing or specific to your bank because I don't pay a fee for my debit card. Also, I did not get charged any additional fees for going through Amazon to make my pledge and when I make a PayPal donation to Cyan, any fees are taken off of what I donate, not added on. I'm truly sorry that neither of these options worked for you. :(
Tai'lahr
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.

Postby WeldFord » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:12 am

Well, 87€ for 3 years is a normal fee for a debit card (I pay mine 1,80€ a month), but you can try to get, I don't know how it's called, it's like a gift card, only charged with a certain amount and that you can use online, but I don't know if it exist everywhere and in very bank.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of card do you have ? I thought it was the only ones existing.

And normally, paypal does accept bank transfers (you need to have an account though). You just need to feed your account with money, and you can afterward use to pay anything.

And lastly, I understand you anger, but, believe me, paypal is really the best way to pay online. I've so much in trouble with other....
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby tommyap » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:20 pm

@Tai'lahr: I know. Not blaming you. Thanks for trying.
@Weldford: I have a debit card from my bank that can be used for internet transactions, but is not supported or accepted by Paypal even though it is accepted by practically any bank worldwide as well as any shop theater etc. (in my country at least)
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby WeldFord » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Ok, well normally you should at least be able to do a bank transfer ;)
WeldFord
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 pm

I am surprised that Paypal does not support Internet banking transfers or an automatic bank debit transaction if you link your accounts.

Here in Australia there are two ways PayPal works, first is with Visa/Mastercard second is that you can link your bank account and they use Australia's banking system to directly debit your account.

Also in Australia 90% of all our banks provide a Visa or Mastercard debit card FREE to anyone with a bank account (basically replaces the free EFTPOS card).

And as far as alternatives to Visa/Mastercard and PayPal there is unfortunately none. Every type of international transfer attracts fees somewhere (even if it is a worse exchange rate). You can't avoid fees unless you happen to have some US cash that you stick in the mail (bad idea).

So I would look again at PayPal cause you should be able to transfer funds to it from your bank account.

Also to Cyan: Can you please update obductiongame.com to show only PayPal and copy accross the game info from Kickstarter? The general consensus in the KS comments is that is a good idea.
My KI on the official server is 23543696 - feel free to add me
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby tommyap » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:15 am

I tried a perfectly normal bank transfer first and hit a brick wall. (both on Amazon and Paypal)
I do not have a problem with some reasonable fees here and there.
But spending over 200 USD on a 75 USD box?
Knowing that most of that money will not go to Cyan but VISA or Mastercard?
That is just ... wrong.
tommyap
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:21 am

Well you are likely to have the same problem if you wait for the game to come out too as GoG and Steam only take major credit cards.

Otherwise you could find someone who has one of the cards or a paypal account and get them to buy it for you and pay them back using cash or internet banking.
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby janaba1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 am

Hi, everyone, though everything important has already been said here by those who seem to know from experience, I also like to firmly raise my voice for Paypal here haha ... :P

Paypal, as for my own longstanding experience, is the absolute most reliable, smooth, fast, comfortable and secure way of payment there is ... and as I've mentioned before, I don't have and need a credit card and don't want to have one ever as that's most insecure when constantly having to give away your credit card information to anyone, known and unknown, on the internet, besides that this service has to be paid ... :)

I am using Paypal along with bank transfer, but what does that mean, that means that no one ever gets to know my bank account details except Paypal, Paypal is mostly everywhere accepted, so, when you buy sth anywhere online, you just choose the Paypal option to pay, you are immediately directed to your Paypal login where you just accept the payment, sufficient coverage provided, and you're done ... and the best of all, this doesn't cost you a dime ... you're getting an immediate email notification for that transaction, your 'goods/stuff' is immediately payed and thus in general as fast as possible delivered ...

I didn't look for periodical payments by now, but somehow I remember someone mentioning that as possible, and as Paypal is a bank I couldn't imagine a reason why that wouldn't be possible, though that doesn't mean anything lol, one actually had to look into it ... I prefer spending money when I want to and really have it available so that wouldn't be an option for me anyway ... :D
MO:ULa is Image - Minkata Image
janaba1
Obduction Backer

Postby belford » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 am

Paypal, as for my own longstanding experience, is the absolute most reliable, smooth, fast, comfortable and secure way of payment there is ...

That's true for everybody, except the people who have had the opposite experience.
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member
belford
Obduction Backer

Postby ljbade » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:34 am

It has not been mentioned here yet but the http://obudctiongame.com website has been updated to promote the special 'pre-order' offers available via PayPal. I have now upgraded my reward tier.
ljbade
Obduction Backer

Postby Erik » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:54 am

Hi tommyap, I'm also from the Netherlands and my experience is different. It really doesn't have to be that expensive.

Credit card
I could extend my bank account at Rabobank with a mastercard credit card. That only costs me about € 15 a year. (And not 200!)
If you're not with Rabobank, I'm sure other banks provide the same option for roughly the same amount of money.

Back account + paypal
Alternatively, a credit card is not required for paypal. You can create a paypal account and link it to your bank account. Then everything you pay with Paypal is automatically withdrawn from your bank account via "automatische incasso".
You only have to do a payment to Paypal of € 0,01 once to prove that you are the owner of the bank account.
In this way, you can use Paypal with your back account and then it doesn't cost you anything! (apart from 1 cent ;))
(Be sure to go to paypal.nl instead of paypal.com. Perhaps that makes a difference)

I hope this helps you! Everything above applies to the Netherlands.
Perhaps you don't feel comfortable with those payment methods, I could understand that. However, it wouldn't cost you $200, that's just false.
Erik
Obduction Backer

Postby veralun » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:11 am

Erik wrote:(Be sure to go to paypal.nl instead of paypal.com. Perhaps that makes a difference)

For me it is not possible to go to paypal.nl. This url will direct to paypal.com/nl.
veralun
Obduction Backer

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION (No Spoilers)